StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I couldnt find a similar post so I though I'd share my tip, I have done this to all my bikes in the past.
Pictures of my intake mod, a piece of flywire and zip ties, it keeps the locusts leaves, rubbish and nesting insects out of my filter box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There have been a few posts I believe mixed in with others but still good info.
One day I will breakdown and do this.
But fortunately not alot of bugs that do this in Vegas, they incinerate on launch.
Mike

·
Registered
219 Posts
... a piece of flywire and zip ties, it keeps the locusts leaves, rubbish and nesting insects out of my filter box.
Interesting, Volkswagen automobiles have a VERY fine screen (think of panty-hose... and then finer than that) on the air-intake tube. It is usually called the "Snow Screen".

I remove and clean the snow-screen on my VW annually... it is always about 1/2 plugged with insects, feathers and other detritus. It really helps the turbocharger breathe when it is clean.

The screen you are using on your Wee is far more coarse than the one on VWs but I can visualize how it would keep out the worst stuff - saving your air-filter from dealing with it.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I have removed the intake muffler

I welcome the Gerbils and thinking of installing an exercises wheel

When if I find a cheap air box cover I am going to try the bike with a cover gutted with a screen to try to remove resonance

If when opened this winter there is debris then I will think of a carpenters cloth shield

·
Registered
435 Posts
It seems like this would cause an extra restriction on the intake side of things and maybe make the bike run a little rich. I don't see how it could not have this effect to at least some degree. :confused:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Yep, before I put some screen mesh in front of the intake snout I got bugs, rocks and various other chunks on the air filter.,

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I let my air filter do its job, but I did cover the intake with galvanized 3/4" hardware cloth to keep mice and such from nesting on or chewing threw my filter which could be disastrous to my engine.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It seems like this would cause an extra restriction on the intake side of things and maybe make the bike run a little rich. I don't see how it could not have this effect to at least some degree. :confused:
Yes, but it is the best way to go in some regions with lots of bugs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, when I originally did this I though it might have and effect but I have not noticed any difference to the performance or milage of my strom with the size of mesh I used (fly wire), however before using flywire on my bike intakes I used to notice a drop in performance when air filter's were full of leaves and large bugs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You know, I think I will add this fly screen on my Wee next time I am into the air filter. We have lots of junk in the air here where I live. I do think this will help.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes, when I originally did this I though it might have and effect but I have not noticed any difference to the performance or milage of my strom with the size of mesh I used (fly wire), however before using flywire on my bike intakes I used to notice a drop in performance when air filter's were full of leaves and large bugs.
OK, that's good to know. If I start noticing a problem with bugs/leaves on my filter then I'll give this mod a fair chance. Thanks for the feedback. :cheers2:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I might be overthinking this, but it seems to me that you are better off having a few bugs trapped on the surface of the OEM air filter with its relatively large surface area than on a much smaller screen protecting the inlet. A swarm of bees or a butterfly or two could significantly reduce intake flow, especially in addition to the restricted flow introduced by the screen.

What's wrong with opening the airbox and brushing bugs off the filter now and then? No telling what other treasures you might find in there.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be overthinking this, but it seems to me that you are better off having a few bugs trapped on the surface of the OEM air filter with its relatively large surface area than on a much smaller screen protecting the inlet. A swarm of bees or a butterfly or two could significantly reduce intake flow, especially in addition to the restricted flow introduced by the screen.

What's wrong with opening the airbox and brushing bugs off the filter now and then? No telling what other treasures you might find in there.:mrgreen:
The gap that insects and road rubbish come through is just under the front of the bikes frame, (look over the top of your front mudgaurd to see it) the air intake is at 90 degrees to this gap (horizontal to the ground) therefore the rubbish/insects tend to "skim across" the screen and dont become lodged into the mesh, if a leaf is held on the screen by suction it falls off once the engine is turned off, without the screen present the rubbish and insects can (and do) get sucked into the air box where they stay, on the backroads here that rubbish accumulates fast, spring has a lot of insects and fall has a lot of leaves, the mesh may have a restrictive effect but it is less than the effect of an airbox/filter full of rubbish. This rubbish problem probably doesnt happen on city roads and highways so its not neccessary for everyone, but where I live there are all sorts of things that will get in the air box......wasps, grass seeds, mud clumps, stones, spiders, snakes, mice, locusts, and leaves lots of leaves !. (My house is surrounded by trees as we live on a small rural property) my bike doesnt have any noticable loss of HP and my mileage figures did not decrease so any airflow restriction must be minimal. If your not getting rubbish in your airbox I wouldnt bother with the screen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just bought a new air filter and will be replacing the original soon. I intend to review this situation while I'm "in there" and probably put this mod into place. I like the idea of keeping the big stuff outta there. :beatnik:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
A good hardware store should have carpenters cloth which is a heavy screen . They come usually with various gaps in the mesh. It is stiff enough to form a mechanically sound shape. Even if I went with the stocking approach carpenters cloth will make a good backing.

I will be making a wedge shaped one added to my airbox but still leave off the intake muffler.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
When I got the bike 6K miles ago I was amazed at the number of leaves and bugs(bees) in the filter. After those 6K miles I rechecked the filter and behold, more bug dudes. Your screen is a good way of preventing the chunky stuff from building up.
With FI the system should pretty much adjust itself to the air flow.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A good hardware store should have carpenters cloth which is a heavy screen . They come usually with various gaps in the mesh. It is stiff enough to form a mechanically sound shape. Even if I went with the stocking approach carpenters cloth will make a good backing.

I will be making a wedge shaped one added to my airbox but still leave off the intake muffler.
Thanks for the suggestion, I didnt think of making the wedge shape to increase the surface area of the mesh compared to the air box intake area,,, this would negate any slight air restriction through the mesh, I think the wedge would also stop leaves getting caught on a flat area by suction.

On another note - although the swarm of migrating moths taste like popcorn if they hit you in the face (they have more kjoules than a bic mac) they are not good if the gooey mess fills you air filter see "bogong moth" - Australia

Chuck another bogong on the barbie … or in your sarnie - National

Bogong moths (Fact Sheet)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I replaced my OEM (original) filter a couple of thousand miles ago with a K&N. When I had the cover of the airbox off, I pulled the rubber snorkle that everyone is using to install the mesh on. Pulling the snorkle is a popular performance item with the SV riders. I'm not sure how much performance is increased, but the bike has definitely not suffered. I've been getting 53mpg since I made the mod & installed the K&N. I'm not worried about the bugs & other crap for now, but it's definitely something to think about. The bike has a noticable "honk" when you crank the throttle now, which some may not like. I don't notice it anymore.
I like the idea of the mesh, so the next time I'm in there, I'll be looking at how that can be installed without the snorkle.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I replaced my OEM (original) filter a couple of thousand miles ago with a K&N. When I had the cover of the airbox off, I pulled the rubber snorkle that everyone is using to install the mesh on. Pulling the snorkle is a popular performance item with the SV riders. I'm not sure how much performance is increased, but the bike has definitely not suffered. I've been getting 53mpg since I made the mod & installed the K&N. I'm not worried about the bugs & other crap for now, but it's definitely something to think about. The bike has a noticable "honk" when you crank the throttle now, which some may not like. I don't notice it anymore.
I like the idea of the mesh, so the next time I'm in there, I'll be looking at how that can be installed without the snorkle.:mrgreen:
Were the modified SV's carb or FI ? , I would guess removing the snorkel would help the carb version but maybe not the FI ?? A wood or plastic frame with mesh may work.

I will leave my snorkel + mesh on, attached is a pic of my driveway, its got loose washed-out gravel ruts followed by sand and mud at the bottom of the gully (sometimes a water crossing) then loose rocks covered in leaves up to the road,,, getting onto the bitumen is always a daily challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice driveway! If I had to deal with the possibility of a water-crossing, I'd keep the snorkle on for sure. Unfortunately, gravel roads and DL-appropriate single track is hard to find in these parts. Mine is set up for on-road use only at the moment. If I crave single track, I trailer the Husky & head to an off-road facility. The closest is at least 90 minutes from home.
I'm assuming the SV's were the FI versions. Many of the parts are interchangeable between the DL's and the comparable SV's. This appears to be the case with the snorkle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts