StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I ride a 2018 DL 1000 and I would like to know if anybody has tried the Air Flow seat cover. For those who have no idea what I am talking about www.airflowseatcovers.com . I personally think this is a great idea for those long day rides under extreme temperatures. Apparently it works great on rainy days too by draining any moisture away from the seat and keeping you dry. I would just like to know how durable it is and if it really works.

·
Premium Member
2018 V-Strom 1000
85 Posts
Not sure I understand how it’s supposed to work. Are grooves or channels in seat cover said to flow air between butt and seat? I’m dubious.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
That looks like a Sit 'n Fly ripoff.

I bought my Sit 'n Fly for $30 through eBay.

Yes, I love mine. In the absence of an expensive comfortable aftermarket seat, these covers are pure gold.

·
Registered
955 Posts
That looks like a Sit 'n Fly ripoff.

I bought my Sit 'n Fly for $30 through eBay.

Yes, I love mine. In the absence of an expensive comfortable aftermarket seat, these covers are pure gold.
Agree.

I just added a S&F to the Russell Day-Long on my '12 DL650 (size XL was a near-perfect fit). I really like it, especially now that things are heating up.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Not sure I understand how it’s supposed to work. Are grooves or channels in seat cover said to flow air between butt and seat? I’m dubious.
It works like a wicker car seat cover. you sit about 1/4 in/6cm off of the stock seat cover on a webbing that is light and surprisingly strong yet flexible unlike a beaded seat cusion. Air flows through the webbing which aids cooling to great effect.
Sit-n-Fly's are less than half the cost of Air Flow seat covers and are durable. I've had mine on for three seasons and it still works and looks like new.
IMG_0307.jpeg IMG_0311.jpeg IMG_0312.jpeg IMG_0309.jpeg

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I have two seats, so two Sit N Fly covers. I ordered one direct from Israel. The other I bought here from a trooper, who thinks he got it from a US seller on eBay.

They are not the same. The Israel one is noticeably thicker / loftier and a bit stiffer, too, while retaining its softness and sponginess. I'd order one direct from the originator in Israel. (Though I understand there now may be a proper US distributor for the Israeli product, which would also be a safe bet)

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
My Sit N Fly cover is on it's second bike. Had it originally on my 650. So it's probably got 25k kms on it. Just moved it over to the new bike. My RT neighbour rode my bike recently and said "that seat is amazing... you can actually feel the cooling effect".

Great product IMO.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
They work, the one on my 650 has over 100,000k's. Also REALLY good in heavy rain because that drains right through rather than stress testing the seams in your wet weather gear.

Also a tip. If you want a much more comfortable seat eBay 'gel honeycomb' seat pads will slip right under these things and don't alter the look much but offer a lot more comfort, or rather after riding multiple hours you'll be in far less pain.

·
Premium Member
2018 V-Strom 1000
85 Posts
Any difficulties getting seat to click in place with Sit n Fly on?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Not much more than before. It does pay to protect the paint on the tank, it's tough enough to slowly wear through the paint.
I used car protection film I had lying around.

Wife's CTX no chance though, the Honda seat is a very neat fit.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
+1 for the SitnFly.
I ordered the XXL and ended up trimming the velcro and using zip ties to compress the excess. I also put 3m film on the rear of the tank "just in case".
Fits really well and works wonders in the Texas heat. SWMBO, my occasional pillion, also likes it a lot....👍

·
Registered
951 Posts
Any difficulties getting seat to click in place with Sit n Fly on?
On initial installation, you may have to finesse it into place to get centered on your seat and mind the straps so that they don't interfere with the latch. For mine, the straps over the resting pads aren't a concern,YMMV. The front hooks easily grab the fuel tank anchor point and the seat pushes down into the latch with slightly more effort that without the SnF.

IMG_0311.jpeg

Reactions: TX-2112

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one too😁
I find it pretty good as well and yes it the wet worked well for me.
We get pretty hot here in Rocky during summer so I'm sure it will be very satisfying then as well.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
1. What is the proper size for the Sit N Fly seat cover for the new Gen (2017+) DL650? One person above says XL, another says XXL.
2. Does the material compress when you sit on it?
3. How thick is the material?

thx

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
  1. XXL, on my 2015 DL650
    • I don't think the seats across DL650 model years are radically different size-wise. The SNF are not custom-cut to specific bike models, so on mine there's some excess material which is easy to tuck under the seat. Others have trimmed off the excess and stapled. IMO, you don't want to have to stretch the cover to fit it, beyond securing it so it doesn't flop around or bunch. Stretching it seems like it would elongate the mesh strands, reduce loft & cushioning, and restrict airflow.
  2. Yes
    • But still retains enough loft to provide some airflow. Airflow is not as good as my Beadrider, but I find the SNF a lot more comfy for my bony butt since it also provides a bit of cushioning.
  3. 8mm, roughly
    • That's loft, measured from seat surface to top of the springy mesh material, not the thickness of the individual mesh strands. Individual mesh strands are ~2mm, though with the tools at my disposal it's a bit tricky to measure accurately.
Incidentally, my knockoff version is 6mm thick, with thinner, less springy strands, which explains why it doesn't perform as well.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
  1. XXL, on my 2015 DL650
    • I don't think the seats across DL650 model years are radically different size-wise. The SNF are not custom-cut to specific bike models, so on mine there's some excess material which is easy to tuck under the seat. Others have trimmed off the excess and stapled. IMO, you don't want to have to stretch the cover to fit it, beyond securing it so it doesn't flop around or bunch. Stretching it seems like it would elongate the mesh strands, reduce loft & cushioning, and restrict airflow.
  2. Yes
    • But still retains enough loft to provide some airflow. Airflow is not as good as my Beadrider, but I find the SNF a lot more comfy for my bony butt since it also provides a bit of cushioning.
  3. 8mm, roughly
    • That's loft, measured from seat surface to top of the springy mesh material, not the thickness of the individual mesh strands. Individual mesh strands are ~2mm, though with the tools at my disposal it's a bit tricky to measure accurately.
Incidentally, my knockoff version is 6mm thick, with thinner, less springy strands, which explains why it doesn't perform as well.
So I'd guess you are saying that the Beadrider is a better product for airflow and therefore water dispersal, but the SNF is more comfortable?

·
Registered
955 Posts
So I'd guess you are saying that the Beadrider is a better product for airflow and therefore water dispersal, but the SNF is more comfortable?
This was my exact experience, Beadrider vs. S&F.

I retired the BR after about a week's trial.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If anyone buys a Bead Rider, select the ceramic bead model.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts