StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I need a new air filter. What does the OEM cost?

I am thinking I'll go with the K&N. Does anyone know where to buy one? I have tried Canadian Tire with no luck.

I am north of TO.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Doing all my service work now so I'll be ready to ride again in the spring.

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey there,

I need a new air filter. What does the OEM cost?

I am thinking I'll go with the K&N. Does anyone know where to buy one? I have tried Canadian Tire with no luck.

I am north of TO.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Doing all my service work now so I'll be ready to ride again in the spring.

Cheers
Perhaps you can try these guys. They are located in Southern Ontario.

DL650 V-Strom, 2004-2011 - Aviciouscycle.ca

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Hey there,
I need a new air filter... I have tried Canadian Tire with no luck.
Canadian Tire does carry them, but you may have to hunt one down at a different location. I got mine with no problems a couple of seasons ago at a Cdn. Tire near me in Toronto. Don't recall the cost anymore.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I bought a bike with a K&N filter once. They only want clean and feeding every 50K miles and I continued move it from bike to bike cus they all used the same filter. I probably saved a lot over the decades I used it. I just hate the initial outlay of cash for new.
Funny how cheap works!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish I had purchased a K&N. I am about to put my bike back together and it was quite clear that plenty of dirt was getting under the lip of the OEM filter when I removed it. It does not seal well to the bottom of the airbox, and I believe the K&N seals a lot better. That alone would be a big performance improvement.

Typing that I just talked myself into punting, and getting the K&N. Get the 'recharge' kit too if you go this route and pay attention to their instruction to NOT clean it with compressed air.

N.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Some people like greasing the mating seal on the bottom. Silicone grease is best as the gasket may be natural rubber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
If you have the time, you can save money.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/32363-air-filters-too-expensive-try-mod-$5-95-a.html

The above thread shows how to get a new air filter for much
less than the price of a genuine Suzuki air filter. You need to
figure out for yourself whether the work is worth doing.

I do not understand why people bashed the ingenious rider who
derived this mod, and went to the effort of documenting his work.

I have done this same exercise, and I am satisfied that it produces
a quality air filter at a fraction of the cost of the OEM part.

Keith

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I tried the auto air filter, and felt that it crammed too much filter material in the air box and reduced max flow.

HifloFiltro makes stock-type air filters for lower cost than Suzuki. The Hiflo for earlier years has no gasket...reuse your gasket. The filter for later years is the same except it includes a new gasket.
HFA3611 has no gasket
HFA3614 has a new gasket for $4 more.

Reactions: Buck83

·
Registered
32 Posts
Air Filter Replacement Workshop

Toronto Riders,

I would like to see if possible, when one of you replace the air filter. Never done before , and don't have any experience to remove the Tank!

Any "workshop day" or "workshop hour" invite is appreciated.

Cheers:thumbup:

Tim

Canadian Tire does carry them, but you may have to hunt one down at a different location. I got mine with no problems a couple of seasons ago at a Cdn. Tire near me in Toronto. Don't recall the cost anymore.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I took iinspiration from a thread where a guy made a replacement filter. so i did a little expirament and built a Uni filter for the bike from the old filter base. 1 layer of red and 1 layer of green, :cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am not a fan of K&N filters. From experience on my cars, if you do not use enough oil, it will not filter all of the particles out. Use too much oil and it will foul your MAP sensor............ not sure if these bikes have intake sensors but I chose to stay away from filters that require oiling for this reason. I have also read that there is no difference in performance unless you have an aftermarket exhaust as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can also get a K&N at Royal Distributing. Not sure where you are North of Toronto, but they have a location in Innisville and Sudbury.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Toronto Riders,

I would like to see if possible, when one of you replace the air filter. Never done before , and don't have any experience to remove the Tank!

Any "workshop day" or "workshop hour" invite is appreciated.

Cheers:thumbup:

Tim
I found this guys videos really helpful before I changed my air filter to the K&N:

·
Registered
144 Posts
hey, I have a stock filter in my V-Strom
However, I dont think K&N filter really make any difference
I put a K&N air filter in my CBR600 because its original filter was due for replacement (was full of dirt). only reason i bought K&N was just because it was few bucks cheaper than Original Honda Filter
To be honest, i didnt feel any difference at all, not in hp, acceleration or sound compared to a 12 years old full of dirt OEM filter that was in it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts