StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the air filter on my 05 wee and when I pulled the old air filter off I noticed about 1/4 cup of what looked like oil in the "pan" the filter sits in. Smelled a little like gas. I have owned the bike for 9 months and just got around to checking out the air filter, (dealer said they changed it), they didn't. It was probably 2 years old, very dirty. The bike has 45K miles on it. Is this normal to find? What is that stuff in the bottom and should I be concerned? It was a stock filter, not a K & N, that I took out so I don't think the oil is from that. Any ideas?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If the bike is on its left side, oil can migrate through the breather and into the airbox.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
In more detail. There's a vent from the crankcase into the airbox intended to burn any oil caused by the crankcase being pressurized. (Some gas gets past the rings)

On the DL 1000 in particular , if it lies on it's side with the engine running, engine oil gets pumped into the airbox.

So - three possible causes.
1) Excess oil from the K&N (most likely)
2) Bike's been on it's side
3) Oil droplets cause by crankcase pressure - unlikely as most goes straight into the engine and burns immediately

Pete

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Winding her out can increase both oil mist and thr blow by into the airbox

The air filter is such a rip off that most don't change it

Don't worry be happy

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
Thank you, thank you!
My bike was found with the same issue when I got it with 23K on it. I thought the oil was a bit over filled and attributed it to blow bye. I checked it at 29K and found a bit more of the oil pool in the bottom of the air box.
Now I know why and won't worry about it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts