StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new K&N filter in... was definitely time. I'm a bit pissed, the monkey mechanic at the shop I brought it in to for recall, did not hook up a breather hose, and put rubber tank stops that come off the frame that the tank slides in to backwards. They were not even touching the tank. Will never go back to Broward Motosports. I can't even see any wiring repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
dirty filter

I've never seen a Vstrom air filter so filthy dirty. How many miles on it before it was changed.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
It did its job nicely, I would not have installed a K&N in its place considering how it looked. Or......was that a K&N???? LOL

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used K&N products all my life. Been very happy with them.
That was the stock paper filter.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Many who know more than I do believe they don't filter nearly as well, but sounds like you are familiar with them. Hope the dealer actually did the recalls, sounds like it might be suspect.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked for chafing. Everything looks good. Just installed new folding clutch and brake levers today too. Also got rid of my D2moto front HH. Sintered pads. They felt wooden. Were super cheap tho. Just put new EBC HH sintered in. Big improvement. Live and learn. Pays to spend the money on good brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
It did its job nicely, I would not have installed a K&N in its place considering how it looked. Or......was that a K&N???? LOL
I agree completely. Riding conditions with that much crud sucked into the airbox require a standard type filter, not a mesh high flow type.
That shit is going to get in the engine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton's microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I received a new K&N air filter with my '12 Wee2. It's still in its box.

Bike is running original (I suppose) OEM filter and runs great, but I'm about to have the valve recall / adjust thing done and I'll probably go ahead and install the K&N at that time.

I know nearly nothing about K&N. Have I heard they're reusable / "cleanable" ? If so, how is this done? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I received a new K&N air filter with my '12 Wee2. It's still in its box.

Bike is running original (I suppose) OEM filter and runs great, but I'm about to have the valve recall / adjust thing done and I'll probably go ahead and install the K&N at that time.

I know nearly nothing about K&N. Have I heard they're reusable / "cleanable" ? If so, how is this done? Thanks.

They are and they pay for themselves after about 2-3 times of cleaning/oiling. The tedious part is removing all the plastic and tank just to get to the damn thing. In order to clean and re-oil it you have to purchase the K&N kit for about $15. You spray the filter with the cleaning solution and let sit for 10-15 mins. Then you allow it to fully dry and re-oil it with the spray can. Very easy and it's hard to mess it up. Just don't go overboard on the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 75 Posts