StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my ‘12 Wee in August ‘18. It’s been spot on as I put 2k or so miles on it. Now sitting at 30k, I’m doing some maintenance. (Oil change, valve adjust, brake fluid & coolant change, etc.)
At the Air Filter stage, I purchased an OEM Filter at my local dealer. Upon opening up the air box (thanks to @DSRider650 & @Bemidjipaul for the wonderful tutorials) I observed the red pleated paper filter installed. The paper Filter was very clean, but the attached photos will show the difference between the OEM Filter & the paper replacement. The OEM appears much more robust.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
A HiFlo also has white medium ( I just took delivery of one), not red, but yours looks as new in the pics. Tap, reinstall and save the new one for when you need it.

Sp56

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I prefer oem parts. They fit, they work, easy to obtain, I can install them and not even think about them.

Years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison test of 3 air filters. I dont remember the exact bike, but it was either Honda or Kawasaki 4-cylinder The filters tested were stock OEM, K&N, and Uni-filter.

The K&N had the least restriction/highest airflow, but the poorest filtration.
The stock OEM filter had the highest restriction but the best filtration.
The Uni-filter was somewhere between the oem and K&N on both counts.

It was also stated that the difference between the restriction of the K&N and the oem filter was minimal.
I realize that there is no glamor in using oem parts instead of the "Obligatory Rite of Manhood Mods" like a K&N, but I can live with it and just ride. Even if an aftermarket part is cheaper, if I can't afford the oem parts to maintain my motorcycle I shouldnt even be riding. But hey, that's just me. YVMV

·
Registered
150 Posts
I realize that there is no glamor in using oem parts instead of the "Obligatory Rite of Manhood Mods" like a K&N, but I can live with it and just ride. Even if an aftermarket part is cheaper, if I can't afford the oem parts to maintain my motorcycle I shouldnt even be riding. But hey, that's just me. YVMV
Almost got me cranked..... maybe a little. The Suzuki dealers in my city dried up and blew away. I buy almost all my parts online. The Cdn supplier I use sells Hi-Flo. I think they look/fit/work well. My airbox is spotless past the filter (good sign). I didn't see the OP using tissue paper or saying he wanted to exercise his "Obligatory Rite of Manhood Mods"......but rather just an opinion.
We each get to make our own choices thankfully.

Sp56

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
SP, was just my opinion, not an attempt to rile you or anybody else.
Years(AND years) ago, I visited a local Honda dealer in my area as I was going to do my '81 CB750K's 1st major service. The parts list I called them about included:
1) Valve cover gasket and bolt seals
2) Ignition cover gasket
3) Spark Plugs
4) Air Filter
5) Fork Oil
6) Brake Fluid
Over the phone I was told they had all the parts in stock.
When I got there, all the parts were on the counter with a receipt under my name.
The ONLY parts that were oem Honda were the spark plug. I questioned them about the actual Honda parts and was told.."Oh, we dont stock those, we'd have to order the Honda parts. THESE parts are cheaper!"
I turned around, and walked right out the door, immediately went to my selling dealer and got just what I asked for.
When I talked to an employee there(I went to trade school with him years earlier) he told me "that dealership buys the cheapest aftermarket parts they can get, then charges Honda retail list prices for them. They make more profit that way."
For a while our Mazda dealer GM pulled that crap with non-oem oil filters. He was replaced, and we got the oem parts back in inventory for retail sales, instead of just for warranty purposes. Manufacturers take a dim view of their dealerships using non-oem parts to increase their profit margins.
SO DO I

·
Registered
921 Posts
The bike was designed to flow air with the OE filter, so that's probably best. Everything from the opening of the intake snorkel to the end of the tailpipe is a "system", and each part affects airflow.
Had a teacher yrs ago who said the best thing for keeping dirt out is a piece of plywood. OTOH, no air can pass through. Everything is a trade off.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So before reading everything after my post that I cleaned & reinstalled the Hi Flo, I got to thinking..."Stupid, you already ponied up the $53 for an OEM filter at the local dealer" So when I got home from work I installed the new OEM filter, boxed & shelved the Hi-Flo. Completed the @Jrockrat ABS switch mod & put the bike back together. I have piece of mind that I installed the OEM filter.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
So before reading everything after my post that I cleaned & reinstalled the Hi Flo, I got to thinking..."Stupid, you already ponied up the $53 for an OEM filter at the local dealer" So when I got home from work I installed the new OEM filter, boxed & shelved the Hi-Flo. Completed the @Jrockrat ABS switch mod & put the bike back together. I have piece of mind that I installed the OEM filter.
I have TOTAL peace of mind that I run Hi-Flo air filters, other than a price difference I can't tell them apart structurally or filter media wise. I also run K&N oil filters, but I'm known to run the OEM filters as well "both excellent". OEM is very good and always a safe bet, but as for OEM being the best......very much up for debate.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Me grumpy?? HA! Not at all! Opinionated maybe, not grumpy at all!
Sorry if I come across as a cantankerous old coot. I'll try to do better.
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts