StromTrooper banner

Air Filter - Honestly?!

8515 Views 40 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  PTRider
Do you literally have to take the entire front end / cowling / instrument cluster apart to take the air filter out?!

Wow - thats a big fail!

Is there any shortcuts? I'm mechanically inclined and all, but taking off 401 fasteners just to change the airfilter seems a little ridiculous!:confused:
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts

· Premium Member
105 Posts
Yes you do need to go through the weeds to get to the damn thing, and the engine guards if you have them. A real pain but after a few times it isnt that big of a deal anymore. The link that greywolf posted is the Gospel.

· Registered
278 Posts
Just be glad you don't have a Goldwing with ABS. The airfilter is a 2 hour evolution the first time around and experienced mechanics can get it down to 40 minutes.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
You can just loosen the plastic and spread it apart, unbolt the back of tank and raise it up; it's a 30 minute job, tops.

38,702 Posts
Some people like to use some silicone grease to make a better seal and not to harm the rubber as a petroleum based grease might.

· Banned
4,054 Posts
Do you literally have to take the entire front end / cowling / instrument cluster apart to take the air filter out?!
[...]
Where do you get that idea from?
I suggest you look at your user's manual; it says nothign about taking the instrument cluster or cowling apart.
just remove the gastank, and you can change your air filter; it takes 15 minutes, 20 if you're not in an air-conditioned garage (you need time to sip at the beer).

· Registered
3,923 Posts
Where do you get that idea from?...just remove the gastank, and you can change your air filter; it takes 15 minutes, 20 if you're not in an air-conditioned garage (you need time to sip at the beer).
How much would it take to hire you to come down here and do the maintenace on my bike.

When you're passing through texarkana, let me know. (I'll supply the beer)

· Banned
4,054 Posts
How much would it take to hire you to come down here and do the maintenace on my bike.

When you're passing through texarkana, let me know. (I'll supply the beer)
Really?
I find mine to be a breeze. Admittedly, it's easier to do on a car, and you have to be careful to get the vstrom's fairing tabs to go under the tank rather than above, but it really only takes 15 minutes...

I like your offer though. Forget the beer; I'm buying (you probably have bad taste in beer anyways, which means I'm better off bringing my own stuff); just make a spot for my tent in your backyard and let me borrow your shower.

· Registered
6,840 Posts
UNdo black cross plastic front tank mount cover
Undo front and rear tank mounts
lift up rear put on a block undo hose and electric plug
take off tank by moving it mostly backwards and up
front fairing ends will bend outwards a little to let tank pass

return the same way maybe moving the plastic fairing a little sideways as the tank is inserted.

Now if you want to complain complain about the cost of a stinking new filter

It a rip because they could just have designed it to take an existing car filter

· Premium Member
3,742 Posts
UNdo black cross plastic front tank mount cover
Undo front and rear tank mounts
lift up rear put on a block undo hose and electric plug
take off tank by moving it mostly backwards and up
front fairing ends will bend outwards a little to let tank pass

return the same way maybe moving the plastic fairing a little sideways as the tank is inserted.
Works fine for me too. Been doing it like that a long time. I do take the bolts out of the fairing so it will bend out a little more.

38,702 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.