StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thanks to all of the posters on this subject. Once again you have made it easy.

I just finished the job on my 09 in less than two hours. I only had to remove the two black side panels, the screws holding the gray plastic with the Vstrom logo (did not actually remove any of the gray section), and I removed the small black plastic cover at the front of the tank which is held on by plastic push connectors. This gives access to the pin holding the front of the tank. I removed the pin, then I removed the bolt holding the back of the tank, spread the gray plastic and lifted the tank high enought to remove the three connections under the tank. Then, a little careful wiggling,( a little help gently holding the gray plastic apart would be a good idea) and out came the tank.

Add a new filter, look around to see how everything looks under there and reverse the proceedure. This is Florida, so the last step is sit on the porch swing and have a beer. Misson accomplished.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Does the new air filter have a gasket? The filter part number listed for the '09 (and '07 & later) does include the gasket at a slightly higher price. The filter part number listed for the older bikes is the same filter without the gasket--reuse the old gasket. If the parts person gave you the newer filter or they gave you the older filter and you reused the gasket, great. Enjoy that beer. If it doesn't have a gasket, don't drink the beer until you've taking it apart again and put in the gasket.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
So, how many bees did you have residing in your air filter?
I've found a fairly large body count when I did the filter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Whenever I change my air filter, I will probably go with K&N. I have one on the Valk and love it. Do I need to order a gasket or does a K&N come with one (or need one) or can I just reuse the old one?

The air filter is a WAYS down the road, but better to stock up on knowledge before I need to do it.:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I heard the K&N has the "gasket" made into the design, but what about the HiFlo filters? I was told they were made by K&N or made in the same plant, etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's easy enough to tell. See if the edge is the about same thickness as the gasket on the stock filter. If it is, the gasket is built in or already installed. If significantly thinner, use the gasket from the old filter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's easy enough to tell. See if the edge is the about same thickness as the gasket on the stock filter. If it is, the gasket is built in or already installed. If significantly thinner, use the gasket from the old filter.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info as always!! :hurray:

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts