StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search to see if anyone had posted about this and didn't find anything.

There is a company that plans to release an air conditioner for motorcycles!
The interesting thing is that it is shown mounted on a V-Strom:thumbup:

Take a look for yourself:

EntroSys

I couldn't find any specifications as to electrical power load in watts, air volume in CFM or anything else, but it does look interesting.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
As goofy as that may initially seem, that would be a great unit to have (if it actually works...) on those hot muggy days.

Mounting will become an issue though if you have a top case already in place.

No price indicated at this time, so you get 20% off of??

There seems to be no power consumption figures either...

Cheers!

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
The type of people that think up this sort of sh*t should just buy themselves a car :headbang:

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
My nephew is a mechanical engineer employed by in the refrigeration business. Actually, he was head of the engineering department for an international cold storage company. This and that I live in the desert resulted in several conversations about how to create an air conditioning system for a motorcycle rider.

I wondered if it wouldn't be possible to convert the waste heat from the exhaust into energy, and then turn that energy into cooling. We never found the right method for the first part though.

Solid state Peltier effect modules were an obvious choice for electrical energy to cooling option. I even bought a cooling system off Ebay intended for this purpose. It was a small ice chest with an electric Peltier effect cooler, and small pump. The pump circulated water through hoses to a vest.

However, it was just too bulky and messy to ever get used.

This solution looks a lot like what I thought an optimum solution would be. Blowing cool air into a suit and letting the air slowly escape at the wrist, ankles, and neck was seemed optimum. Basically putting the rider in a bag of cold air insulated from the heat.

It's nice to see that someone made use of the technology. Let's hope the price comes down.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A cooling vest would do much the same (especially in the desert) and at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
Well, it might seem like over kill until you riding in temps above 100. They say it's a dry heat. here So is an oven or a hair dryer. We usually peak between 115F to 118F here in the desert of eastern WA state. No matter which way you ride it's at least an hour two anything remotely cooler in the summer.

I have three evaporative cooling vests plus one for the wife. I have evaporative cooling pieces that go in my helmet and strap to my arms. I fabricated a pair of evaporative cooling chaps. I knew evaportive cooling, he was a friend of mine, and senator your no .... sorry, got side tracked.

Anyway..... at $1,500 it's likely not to be on the back of anyone's bike unless they truly need it. And if they need it that bad they won'tcar ethat the rest of think it's expensive.

Maybe it's time to pull out the Peltier modules I bought from China and start experimenting again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think it would be neat but I'm not sure about the power consumption.
According to their manual it uses 11A max for cooling and 14A max for heating. It doesn't list any other settings but that's still a whole bunch when power is limited.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It would make for some curious conversations at stoplights. "Hey look at that hose coming out of that guys pants". "Maybe he has bladder problems".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts