StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any modification of their airbox? The PO of my '03 1K gave me some round plastic housings, about 1" in diameter, w/ foam filter media inside; said he had planned on installing them but hadn't gotten around to it.
Any info?

TIA,
KevinL
VA

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's not nearly enough filter area. It would be very restrictive and quick to clog besides.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greywolf said:
That's not nearly enough filter area. It would be very restrictive and quick to clog besides.
Obviously; These would be installed into the airbox - not replacing it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Not obvious from your statement. Then it adds a restriction to the stock system. The 650 has intake tubes within the airbox for air direction control and possibly as velocity stacks but nothing within them.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have some of those on my XR air box. I drilled holes in my cover and it added air not restricted. I have not been in there with my V so I don’t have a good idea of how you would install them on it. But it could work to increase air flow, as long as you don’t sacrifice your filtration.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
greywolf said:
Not obvious from your statement. Then it adds a restriction to the stock system. The 650 has intake tubes within the airbox for air direction control and possibly as velocity stacks but nothing within them.
As I said, it is a modification issue; if I wanted to get ideas to replace it I would have made the subject line "Air box replacement options?", or something along those lines. Not being knowledgeable about FI, I was concerned about volumetric and flow changes w/in the airbox, and how that would affect the fuel injection system.
I was also asking about 1000's, not 650's.

Appreciate the input tho'.

KL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheff said:
I have some of those on my XR air box. I drilled holes in my cover and it added air not restricted. I have not been in there with my V so I don’t have a good idea of how you would install them on it. But it could work to increase air flow, as long as you don’t sacrifice your filtration.
Thanks - my thoughts were to place them somewhere in the top plate of the filter box; this would allow extra air into the system, yet keep it so that it is filtered (twice).
My concern is how that would affect the fuel injection system; on my Warrior I repplaced the entire airbox w/ individual K&N filters, but I am unwilling to go that route for the V Strom.

Thx!
KevinL
VA

·
Registered
26 Posts
dont know why you havent got more replies.
just today i was looking at the exact same device. well you can buy them in 5 PKS.
anyways..... yeah,ya drill out the 1" ((or what have you)) holes in the airbox
(for a big bike like the 1K maybe 8 of them?)
,snap these plastic rings with oiled foam (just like KnNs) in and your letting more air into the airbox,filtering the air TWICE.
my question is, what problems would come about as far as ajusting the power comander to suit?
and im guessing,,but i doubt youd see a large difference in power/tq with just doing that. on the other hand,it cant hurt to "help" your machine breath easier.shrug shrug

any others want to input here ????

roy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roystr said:
just today i was looking at the exact same device. well you can buy them in 5 PKS.

roy
I haven't seen them locally, but I haven't really been searching for them; where did you find them?

Thx,
KL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mokusbajusz said:
Klong
What is the reason behind this modifications?
Haven't got your 1K enough power or torque? Or the mpg is poor?
:?:
More is ALWAYS better!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
klong said:
Thanks - my thoughts were to place them somewhere in the top plate of the filter box; this would allow extra air into the system, yet keep it so that it is filtered (twice).
My concern is how that would affect the fuel injection system; on my Warrior I repplaced the entire airbox w/ individual K&N filters, but I am unwilling to go that route for the V Strom.

Thx!
KevinL
VA
I think the FI would adjust to the new flow, unless it is way more flow. You may need a remap with a yosh or a PC. I have a PC and when I get in there I may do this mod. It really helped the XR breathe better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Err on the side of caution...

My two bits on the subject: Take some aluminum screen door mesh on your next service, or sooner, and cover the air intake to keep out the bulk of large objects that get funnelled into the Strom's airbox. Then just debate which original size airfilter to use, stock, K&N etc...The fit and sealing, filtration quality and ability to withstand adverse conditions should come first to my way of thinking. How many RG500's suffered damages from individual foam filter kits and the such. You want some extra stomp, derestrict the advance curve in 5th and 6th gears, throw a 16 tooth sprocket on to overide the useless stock overdrive gearing. As a former Ducati bevel drive nut, I have nothing but admiration for this wonderful superbike motor, now finally practical in the DL series. Sorry for the rant, but good oils and quality filtration has always come first for me. Good luck in your riding and mods of your bike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I used the little buggers on my old KDX200 for extra intake and they were wonderful!!

For those wondering, you're still using the same air filter as before, and the air's still completely filtered as it goes into the engine. What these little things do is allow more air into the airbox (prefiltering).

Stock airboxes tend to be restrictive, to make the bike quieter and for stock tuning.. These just allow a bit more air into the box, before the stock filter.

On my old KDX, removing the snorkle, adding 4 of these prefiltered openings, and changing the stock exhaust (and jetting up on both jets and raising the needle) made a slug of a bike into a rocket, with it still being rock solid reliable and easy to start..
I miss that ol' green beast... :cry:

·
Registered
30 Posts
klong said:
Has anyone done any modification of their airbox? The PO of my '03 1K gave me some round plastic housings, about 1" in diameter, w/ foam filter media inside; said he had planned on installing them but hadn't gotten around to it.
Any info?

TIA,
KevinL
VA
Basicaly you'll be opening more holes in the air box therefore allowing more breathing air. This will only realy benefit and in a big way if you have some free flowing pipes to let it all out, and maping to process it all properly.
Caution: It is a fact that Vstroms are way on the lean side from the factory and can use more fuell before anything else, therefore myself personaly would not add any more air unless I got it remaped.

I can assure you that if you took the snorkel out added halfa dozen of those holes, added a K&N or BMC filter, took out the secondary buterflies, installed a good set of flowing exhaust canisters pluged in a PCIII or techa box and dyno tuned it (custom map on Dyno would be a must), that you could not belive it was a same bike. It will be crisp and instantanious throttle responce with at least 10% gains in power and torque right across the range and probably wouldnt sign off till at least several hundred RPM later. Throw in a TRE and 2 teeth bigger rear sprocket, 2nd & 3rd gear whilies all day long, if you're in that sort of thing. NOT me of corse.

How do I know????? Been there done that on my 02. Just got an 03 and will be doing it all over again.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
2VORNOT2V said:
Basicaly you'll be opening more holes in the air box therefore allowing more breathing air. This will only realy benefit and in a big way if you have some free flowing pipes to let it all out, and maping to process it all properly.
Caution: It is a fact that Vstroms are way on the lean side from the factory and can use more fuell before anything else, therefore myself personaly would not add any more air unless I got it remaped.

I can assure you that if you took the snorkel out added halfa dozen of those holes, added a K&N or BMC filter, took out the secondary buterflies, installed a good set of flowing exhaust canisters pluged in a PCIII or techa box and dyno tuned it (custom map on Dyno would be a must), that you could not belive it was a same bike. It will be crisp and instantanious throttle responce with at least 10% gains in power and torque right across the range and probably wouldnt sign off till at least several hundred RPM later. Throw in a TRE and 2 teeth bigger rear sprocket, 2nd & 3rd gear whilies all day long, if you're in that sort of thing. NOT me of corse.

How do I know????? Been there done that on my 02. Just got an 03 and will be doing it all over again.
That has been my experience on most of my bikes. But all my other bikes been carbed, and needed rejets and all the other mods to take advante of it. Sounds like the V will also need the pipes, secs removed etc. I will defenetly be making this mod and it should be easier with the PC to get it all dialed in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts