StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST put a BRAND NEW rear tire on my bike this past Monday. Went on a ride today with some guys from work. My wife went with me, too. So, she took our 11-month old son to daycare & I get the bike ready to go. She comes back & gets her gear on. We're ready to go pretty quickly! We meet up with everyone & headed out. We headed to a ferry in our area. Made it on, sat back & watched the world go by during the 45 minutes crossing. As we were all getting geared up for the ride off the ferry one of the guys taps me on the back & points to my rear tire. NAIL!!!! :yikes: :furious: :headbang:

Long story short.....only 240 miles on the tire. We made it home okay, but the last several miles were an adventure! :thumbdown: Called the shop that did the install & asked if I plugged it how long did they guestimate I could run on it like that until I could save up enough lunch money for a new one. They said that they could "repair it" by doing a plug/patch. Plug it from the outside & do some type of industrial strength patch from the inside. It's there now getting done. I'll pick it up either tomorrow or Monday. I'm kinda not in a rush to get it back since I HAVE to take the cage to work Monday. Anyway, they say that this repair will last for the life of the tire. Not saying I don't believe them, but as soon as I have enough lunch money saved I'll be buying a new rear tire!

They whole situation just really pissed me off, though! Ya know?!?!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've ridden on plenty of patched rears. Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
A patched rear is fine. You don't need to replace that unless it has sidewall damage. If it was the front tire i would be more concerned. Just check pressure often on it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I ran mine as far as you would care to run a tire with a plug. Get yourself a kit and plug it next time. You will not lose a day or a trip to the shop. It takes all of ten minutes.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I plugged a nail hole in my rear tire with a Nealy tire repair kit, a rubberized string industrial repair kit, and it held for a year. After about a year the tire was losing some air through the fibers of the repair, so I did it again! Worked fine.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
As soon as I spoon on a new tire, I go ahead and drive a nail in it just to get that out of the way - it seems inevitable. My first was plugged by a senior Honda mechanic who told me to just ride the damn thing. I think I have plugged (no patch) about four more tires, front and rear, since then and run them until the tire wore out. I am just a bit more averse to long, top-end tests runs on a plugged tire, but only a little. Warnings about sidewall damage apply.

Oh, and I also now carry a plug kit and compressor and run ultraseal (http://www.ultraseal.com/) - no flats so far, and perfect balance without weights.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the nail is in the smooth part of the tire, a patch would be most appropriate. If it's in the tread valley, just plug it up, and you should be good to go.

I had the same thing happen on my R6 once. Brand new tire, and got a nail in the tread valley at 75 miles. I put a plug in it, and ran it that way until it was down to the threads.

Lucas

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing is I HAVE a plug kit under the seat as well as a small air compressor. I carry both ALL THE TIME!!! I checked the pressure after we stopped for lunch before we headed back home. It was okay for the trip. The two-up riding really showed just how much tire pressure DOES effect the bike's handling. When I called the shop I asked them if they wanted me to go ahead & plug it. They said no. (of course they did...chance for more $$$$$$) Their recommendation was to air it up again & "ride it like it was raining" back to them. That's what I did. I put 41psi in there & left! The tire felt solid as a rock the entire way!

I've seen one other person plug a tire. The unfortunate thing about that plug evolution was that he picked up a HUGE screw that made a Grand Canyon sized hole in his rear tire. With SEVERAL plugs & a LOT of Slime he was able to make it home......from the other side of VA to his house. About a 5 hour ride. If my memory serves me correctly he replaced it shortly after that, though, because he had to stop a few times to put more air in the tire.

Moral of the story.......don't ride your bike onto a ferry!! You'll pick up a nail in your rear tire & then have to FEEL the tension from your wife all the way home!!! :green_lol:

Thanks for the replies, too, guys!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts