StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just transported my 650 in the back of my truck down south. I just unloaded it and found out that I left it in gear for 8 hours of driving on bumpy, crappy roads. How much, if any, damage is done to her? She was strapped down really well (when I grabbed the rear luggage bars and shook hard the whole truck would move) with hardly any give fore and aft.

What do you guys think? Am I making mountains outta molehills?

·
Registered
255 Posts
ride it, if everything is working okay don't borrow trouble. I seriously doubt if it did any damage at all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I always put a bike in gear if transporting it on a trailer or in a vehicle, never had a problem [the gearbox cops a lot more pounding just riding it compared to what it will get during transporting].

FWIW I do the same when transporting cars on trucks/trailers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I moved a bike across country 3 times tide down on a trailer (9000) miles. Your not suppose to have it in gear??????????

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the OP's concern may not be directed toward the transmission, rather the fact that since it is in gear, the motor may be rocking ever so slightly without pressurized lubrication.

I've wondered the same thing. That's why I keep my bikes in neutral when I have to trailer them. Pistons twitching back/forth without lube can't be good...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
When I transport my bike on a trailer I leave it in gear. I use a wheel chock. It doesn't move.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yep, I strap mine forward tightly into the chock--into the corner of a pickup bed works as well, or against the forward wall and well strapped. It can't rock forward & back. If there was significant movement, there might be driveline damage, but it probably didn't move.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
don't listen to these guys...bike is completely screwed now... being the nice guy I am... I'll give you 100 bucks for it.... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.. Guess I was worried about nothing probably due to being kinda tired from the drive. Maybe a bit of OCD too. I was always taught to leave it in neutral when transporting a bike.. the reasoning was it puts undue stress on the tranny.

But its good to know that it isn't a big deal!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think the OP's concern may not be directed toward the transmission, rather the fact that since it is in gear, the motor may be rocking ever so slightly without pressurized lubrication.

I've wondered the same thing. That's why I keep my bikes in neutral when I have to trailer them. Pistons twitching back/forth without lube can't be good...
I suspect unless the thing is able to move forward and back a couple inches every time you hit a bump or start/stop, the chain slack will absorb most if not all of the movement, and any remaining slack would be absorbed by any slop in the gearing - the motor won't move at all.
I always leave my vehicles in gear when trailering them, whether it's a 500 lb motorcycle or a 9000 lb front-end loader. Just one more safeguard against it coming loose (plus the less possible movement it can have, the less strain it puts on the tie-downs or chains used to hold it).

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys are worrying too much!

The bouncing whether its in gear or nuetral putting excessive wear on the drivetrain?

You can get medication for that! haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts