StromTrooper banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Glad you're okay. The same thing happened to me years ago. The similarity was damp road and dual sport tires. My DT400 just slipped in a slow turn and when I came to a stop the bike was on it's side ans I was sitting on top of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bad luck, you went down. Good luck you walked it off and the Strom did too. Hope yer knee doesn't balloon on ya. Stay safe.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,617 Posts
OP, glad you're OK but I would definitely replace that helmet. It may look like it "only got scratched," but it's possible your head bounced off the ground & you may not have realized it.

If in doubt, you could send the helmet in to Shoei for inspection. The postage will be steep, and the delay frustrating, but much cheaper than the cost of a new helmet.

Given the rear end damage, it seems the rear frame took a sideways wallop. Check for bending of the frame & loosening of seat rail bolts.

Easiest way is to get the bike on its centerstand (if you have one), stand back ~3m and eyeball alignment of rear tire and mud guard.

Check tightness of the bolts that hold the seat rails to the main frame. There are 4. Perhaps someone with a newer service manual than mine can post the torque value.

I say all this because it's possible to have slightly bent/loose seat rails without realizing it right away. I went down on a dirt road last fall. I had cases on at the time (Givi E36's). While the cases themselves were remarkably undamaged, one side of my Givi luggage rack was so badly bent that I replaced the whole thing.

Months later, I found that one of the seat rail bolts was loose enough to turn by hand. That was right after I noticed that the tail was misaligned with the rear tire.

I re-torqued all four bolts & applied med-strength thread locker to make sure that wouldn't happen again. That mostly corrected the misalignment, but there is a small offset remaining. Not really fixable, unfortunately. Doesn't affect riding comfort, fortunately.

·
Vendor
4,742 Posts
Webfors,

I thought about you yesterday evening. It has been dry down here in SC for a week. I was riding across the line to NC rounded a turn and suddenly the road was freshly wet. A thunderstorm had rolled through in the minutes before, but I had no idea until I saw the wet road. I instantly remembered your post and bled of speed for the turn.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
maybe a spot of diesel fuel? Glad it wasn't worse.

warm weather tempts me to leave at least my armored pants at home. a reminder that perhaps it's not a good idea. Other options available......knee/shin pads under jeans and Bohn under armor.
When I was last out for a long, warm ride (weekend before last, as I sat inside sick all this past weekend), I went with my armored pants with just riding shorts underneath. This helped resolve the issue of my jeans getting sweaty and damp underneath the riding pants (and then getting very uncomfortable), and also eliminated any chance of me deciding to remove them (since there's no way I'm riding my bike wearing stretchy, shiny riding pants with boots - I'd look like a total goof, plus I don't ride in shorts!).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good to hear you came through this without major injury to you or your ride. My first thought was oil or tranny fluid in the roadway. Rain can bring anything like that to the surface.
Or a little patch of sand/grit. Heavy rains can bring that stuff onto the road.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad you are mostly okay. people don't stop to help any more. a while back I was riding my bicycle in the evening on a service road next to a busy highway. ahead of me a car on the highway had a blowout and pulled over to the right lane which was not a parking lane but a traffic lane. the car then came to a stop and turned the lights off. we are told that in case of a severe dust storm here you should pull off the road to the right and turn the lights off so somebody doesn't follow your lights and run into you. where the car was stopped was a traffic lane with a concrete curb and there was a lot of cars hitting the brakes shortly before running into the stopped car. a lot of screeching tires then going around the car when an opening in the traffic came along. I rode the bicycle on the service road up near the stopped car, jumped off, ran over to the car and yelled"you need to get your 4 way flashers on" through the open drivers window. the lady inside was crying and yelled " I can't find them". I tried to get her to unlock and open the front passenger door so I could help look for the 4 way switch. she was too rattled to do anything but bawl. at a break in traffic I opened the drivers door and used my pocket flashlight to look for the 4 way switch on the dash. there was a bunch of screeching tire noise before I found the switch. they don't put them all in the same place!!! seeing the lights flashing the lady said "there it is" and touched the switch and the lights went off. I hit the switch and told her she was fine now. she immediatly calmed down, started the car and drove forward 100 ft to an exit from the hiway and parked on the service road then resumed crying. she said " I am okay, just still scared". she calmed down some and I asked if she had an emergency contact or a number for a tow truck. she dug through her purse and came up with a cell phone and a plastic card and called the phone #. she said thanks for the help but she was fine now, just shaking. she insisted she was fine and I could go now. so I went a ways away and stopped behind a bush and waited until the tow truck came and got her loaded up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The one thing that stood out about all this was that not one car stopped to help. people don't do that any more. at 75 yo I am a relic from the past. I grew up and lived a lot of my life in a different world. I have received help when I needed it in the past and I don't expect people to help me or someone in need of help anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
When I was last out for a long, warm ride (weekend before last, as I sat inside sick all this past weekend), I went with my armored pants with just riding shorts underneath. This helped resolve the issue of my jeans getting sweaty and damp underneath the riding pants (and then getting very uncomfortable), and also eliminated any chance of me deciding to remove them (since there's no way I'm riding my bike wearing stretchy, shiny riding pants with boots - I'd look like a total goof, plus I don't ride in shorts!).
yes warm weather I always wear shorts under my riding pants. if you bring some other shoes easy to strip and be comfortable if you are spending time off the bike.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Chicago, what's wrong with sitting at Starbucks wearing shorts and boots? Women wear those stupid ripped pants all the time.....
The important thing is wearing the protective riding pants! ATGATT

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a 12 mph tip over pulling into a grocery store parking lot in a rain storm one night. Turns ou there was a pile of pea gravel in the turn and I couldn’t see it because the rain was splashing on the road so hard.

There was a woman in a mini van behind me. She sprang out of the van and flung herself into an unimaginable state of hysterics. I was equally as shocked by her behavior as I was of watching my bike skid about 12 feet in front of me. I was trying to tell her I was ok but she couldn’t hear me over her shrieks so I just gave her a thumbs up and rushed over and picked my bike up. Good thing I got to it while my adrenaline was still flowing or I probably would have had to have the hysterical soccer mom help me.

Minor damage to my gear and bike. Shifter was bent pretty good but I got home on it. I was actually able to put the shifter in a vise and using box end wrenches I got it straight again. Used an angle grinder to dress it down. Then I buffed it out real nice. Can’t even tell it was bent.

Glad you’re ok. Riding gear is is awesome when it comes to the ground.

·
Registered
27 Posts
AMA did a study, those who commute on a motorcycle have a way higher percentage of death than non commuters. Just spelling out the facts for you..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rainy Day in Georgia

Read your post this morning, rode home from work in a shower and thought about your story on the exit ramp. I had a similar experience on a sweeping exit ramp many years ago and had forgotten about it until today. Posting stories like this can do a lot of good, they are a reminder that you can never take road conditions for granted. So glad yu were not injured seriously, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
603 Posts
happy both the bike and you only suffered minor scratches. Ride safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar experience about 3 years ago riding home in a complete downpour on my 14' Vee. I went around stopped traffic on the main highway and took a normally low traffic back-road that required crossing a very obtuse angled railroad track. I forgot about it being there and didn't see it because it was under about 6" of water. Like I said downpour. The track was somewhat elevated above the pavement and I had my head and shoulder suddenly slammed into the ground because of my memory loss. I may have been going about 20 mph, so it could have been a lot worse. The Bike had the left peg mount bent and the shifter was bent so bad that I could not downshift. Fortunately the only real injury I had was a badly bruised right knee. Apparently I hit some part of the bike with my knee when I went down. Didn't discover that injury until later when it began to swell.

Fortunately in Georgia and Tennessee we still have a few people left who will stop and check on you. The lady behind me stopped and made sure I was okay even though it was pouring rain. I had considered taking my protective jacket off when I put on my rain suit, but for some reason decided to cover it with the rain jacket. I probably would have had at least some sort of Shoulder injury without the jacket. I could have avoided the knee bruise had I had on protective pants.

I am glad you avoided any serious injury and I bet you appreciate your choice to wear ATGATT. I know my experience has changed my choices with regard to protective gear.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts