StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So riding in to work today the roads were wet, but the sky was clearing. Temps are hovering right about 70 degrees. I'm enjoying the ride, following the same route I take nearly every day since starting my new job in November.
I come up on my third and final round about and slam, I'm rolling across the ground and my bike is making that sick metal on asphalt sound.

I picked myself up and took a quick stock. Everything was still there. Parts that moved moved Parts that shouldn't move didn't. Generally nothing hurt. So I looked for my bike.....

It was easy to find. Maybe because it was only 20' away, or maybe because the 5 or 6 troughs dug into the asphault lead me right to it. I walked over and picked it up. 8 or 9 cars went by with out a person asking if I was ok. Gotta love rush hour humanity!

Turned the key off and on, looked to make sure I still had a shift lever. Thankfully I did. Dropped it into N. Hit the started button and crossed my fingers. She sprang to life like she always does.
My bike is 1/2 in the road, 1/2 in the grass, and 6 or 7 more cars go by as I am doing a quick once over to make sure I can get down the road to the gas station for a better evaluation out of the path of traffic. No fluids leaking and all the controls are in place so I motor down to the station.

I can now feel the first impact point. My knee feels a little sore. Judging by my pants I took a decent strike there. Nothing major, just feels like I've been crawling on my knees chasing my grandson all day.

As for the bike. Well I can now say Outback Motortek crashers work. Bars are still straight. Ground fairly flat in a few spots. Still solid and did not move at all.

Shifter took some damage. Both the toe piece and the mounting point.

Passenger peg was ground and the mounting point for bags is bent.

Rear corner of the swing arm touched down once or twice.

Left hand mirror and brush guard are scratched.

I also kissed the ground with my helmet. Scratched the face shield a little, but nothing too bad.

Not really sure what happened. I remember thinking, slow down a little more than normal as I approached the round about. It is a fairly small right round about. I thought I was slowed plenty. I wasnt leaning over much but I do remember using the rear brake. Not excessively I didnt think. I also didnt see any oil or anything along my path.

Regardless, down I went. Thankfully I do wear my gear all the time. My knee would probably hurt pretty bad, that slight kiss of the helmet my be a nasty road rash right at my hairline. The bike is fine, just some extra character now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Good thing you made it out in one piece.
Oil spot on roadbed, maybe?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse and you'll be OK.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What a way to start the day. Please accept my apologies for the less than human race! Years ago, a Coworker was hit from behind on a bike on an interstate. He and his wife laid on the highway with traffic whizzing by....... they eventually managed to crawl to the berm. Ultimately, he had a leg amputated. So, even the severity of the crash doesn't seem to affect some drivers. Sad

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad you are ok.

I'm thinking the combination of slick spot and using rear brake and the rear just slid from under ya.

Keep an eye on the oil level. The oil may have plugged the vent. So if the oil level is going down. You may want to take the gas tank off and check the air box. You may have some oil in there from the bike laying on its side.

You probably shoujld also consider getting a new helmet.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Great to hear you are OK. Quite pathetic that no one stopped. This story will make me more cautious when riding in those conditions.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Welcome to the fall down club. I've had that happen a few times on freeway on/off ramps. A bit of oil or diesel fuel is nasty.
Hope you can clean up the damage and suffer no physical after effects.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're ok.

Was it a brief shower that wet the road? That can be the culprit.
Rain here in Ohio has been of epic proportions, roads are clean. I am guessing some diesel or just tires not warmed up enough, if really aggressive tires than I would say that hurt the situation. Blows my mind that nobody stopped to help or at minimum see if you were ok........unreal.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Looks like a current gen 650, which has ABS. Excessive rear brake should have been mitigated.

What tires and at what pressure are you running?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bet those cagers that zoomed on by don't or never did ride motorcycles...pathetic someone didn't stop to ask how you were doing and render assistance. Thanks for the reminder regarding safety gear and road conditions! Take care!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you broke any parts from use give me a call. Crash damaged parst are generall replaced for free.
Thanks Rick. Thankfully I just have some ground parts. Everything is still fully functional. Nothing from Adventure Tech took any damage but good to know you would help a downed fellow.

As Big B said, the roads have been power washed about every other day or so around here. I've taken this round about hundreds of times, and many of those with the road being wet. Never had even a hint of slip.
I had about 35 miles of my commute down. Tires wouldnt get much more warmed up with the road conditions. I am running Skino 705s, but have been since November (new rear just last Wednesday and have 600+ miles on it)

I was heading west, going around the round about to head south. I was probably 3/4 of the way around and nearly done with the round about.
So I'm starting to lean more towards a wayward bit of diesel or oil in the road. I looked quickly after I got up, but had to get out of the way of traffic and it was just starting to get light. I may not have been able to see anything even if it was there.

Regardless, it happens and while I don't want it to happen again, It probably will. I just hope it turns out no worse than this one.

Thanks for all the good thought!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting story as to how fast situations can change. Best part is that you get to tell it!

Sp56

ps. I lowsided in a corner on the way to work one night and remained in my lane. As cars sped by me only one passenger of a passing car stuck her head out and yelled "Are you OK?" but didn't wait for the answer. Huh!

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Good to hear you came through this without major injury to you or your ride. My first thought was oil or tranny fluid in the roadway. Rain can bring anything like that to the surface.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a low side very similar to what described a little over a year ago. I may just have been a bit complacent, as it happened in a corner I take every day, but I really couldn't figure out why it happened other than there was a very thin line of liquid on the road that was most likely laid down by a garbage truck. I don't think it was in my line though, so I don't know that that was it. I don't think I was laid over too far, and there was no gravel in the corner. Stuff happens.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ate it doing a quick uturn in a supermarket parking lot on the widest tar snake I've ever seen..... Nothing happened to me or bike just scratched box and crash bar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts