StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an AFX helmet and if so, can you give me some feedback? Looking at an AFX FX 140, but I can only get them online. I will probably end up not getting it for that reason since I like to try stuff on, etc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anyone have an AFX helmet and if so, can you give me some feedback? Looking at an AFX FX 140, but I can only get them online. I will probably end up not getting it for that reason since I like to try stuff on, etc.
Revzilla has some pretty decent video reviews of the AFX product line. My experience is that you get what you pay for, but AFX is a VERY good value for the buck. They tend to run a size large so you probably want to buy down a size and let the padding break in before forming a lasting judgement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The AFX helmets are great for a short ride, but not sure I would use it for a long ride. Being 6'4 I have a givi touring shield on the bike a the wind buffering is pretty bad. There is great air flow and I really like mine for the warm days and short rides. If I am going a long way or it is cold then I put on the scorpion helmet. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I know the owner of a shop that has sold AFX helmets. OK cheap helmets distributed through the wholesaler Parts Unlimited (which adds a layer of cost). Vega helmets, sold from the manufacturer directly to shops, offers more for the money. I've met one of the owners of Vega.

Both are OK. Neither has great features. You really need to try helmets on to find the internal shape that fits the shape of your head just right. A top quality helmet is likely more comfortable and probably safer. A helmet that meets both DOT and ECE standards is better than just DOT, and Snell beats both of those (ignore the old articles about the limitations of Snell M2005 and look at the improvements of The Snell M2010 standards).

I'm sitting here watching football and the talk about concussions. I'd like to see Snell test football helmets and help with a safer design. The Tony Dorsett brain damage news adds to the disturbing news about football brain injuries. Brain injuries are cumulative starting with the youngsters playing football, through high school, and through college. It isn't just the NFL.

On this Veterans' Day, I am willing to pay more taxes for better DoD and VA help for our brave vets with traumatic brain injuries, PTSD, and physical injuries. We sent them to war; we owe them all the help they can use.

Here's a Veterans Day song from our allies, the Australians, "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"
http://youtu.be/PFCekeoSTwg

The song "Waltzing Matilda" is a very sad song. "The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's goods (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back. The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of tea at a bush camp and capturing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft, the worker commits suicide by drowning himself in the nearby watering hole, after which his ghost haunts the site."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an AFX large shell flat red, maybe a 51(?), it is a few years old, it has proved to be quiet, has good air flow and fits my head (small miracle). The shield is a PITA to change, otherwise I like it and have a lot of miles logged with it on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
My AFX-39DS (Adventure helmet) has been nothing short of great. Totally recommend them based on this helmet experience.
I recently picked one of those up. It flows lots of air, probably not desirable for cold weather on the highway. Have had the peak buzzing annoyingly until I adjusted my windshield. My other helmet has an internal sun visor and I find I do miss it. I've only worn it once so it may grow on me and it was only $100.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Got it. I run a MRA shield (tall) , and haven't experience any issues with the visor , including a 4,000 mile road trip I took this summer. I do think the right (or wrong) W/S affects ones opinion of a helmet.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I like my FX-39DS; big faceshield cut-out and very good ventilation. Too good for cold weather, though.

Now to important things:
The song "Waltzing Matilda" is a very sad song. "The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's goods (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back. The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of tea at a bush camp and capturing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft, the worker commits suicide by drowning himself in the nearby watering hole, after which his ghost haunts the site."
As a very junior officer I worked for a very senior officer who had been in Australia during WWII, early in the war when the allies were being pushed out of SEAsia and there real fear of a Japanese invasion of Australia. He told a story of standing on Sydney Harbor Bridge filled with Aussies while several hospital ships bringing casualties from New Guinea passed underneath, many of the wounded laid out on deck. He said as if on signal the thousands on the bridge began to sing "Waltzing Matilda." He could never tell that story without choking up. I can see why.

Interesting that this topic comes up today.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My AFX-39DS (Adventure helmet) has been nothing short of great. Totally recommend them based on this helmet experience.
I am thinking about getting this helmet and wondering about the size as compared to an Shoei or HJC, dooes it run smaller , larger or about the same

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the owner of a shop that has sold AFX helmets. OK cheap helmets distributed through the wholesaler Parts Unlimited (which adds a layer of cost). Vega helmets, sold from the manufacturer directly to shops, offers more for the money. I've met one of the owners of Vega.

Both are OK. Neither has great features. You really need to try helmets on to find the internal shape that fits the shape of your head just right. A top quality helmet is likely more comfortable and probably safer. A helmet that meets both DOT and ECE standards is better than just DOT, and Snell beats both of those (ignore the old articles about the limitations of Snell M2005 and look at the improvements of The Snell M2010 standards).
It's more of an issue with price more than it is anything else and so begins the great issue with regards to gear. I'm a starving college student, so I can't afford to spend $600-$800 for a helmet at the moment.

I'm actually doing a research project right now on helmets for school. Frankly, I cannot find any real data that proves an expensive helmet protects more than a cheap one does (assuming we're comparing full face to full face, etc.) and so begins the great debate. Weight, materials, and quality? Yes. But actual crash protection? No. I've had any number of people send me post crash pics of their gear as part of my project and see no discernible difference between the expensive and cheap helmets with regards to protection.

ECE and DOT testing are very similar (if you look at the actual testing that is done), even though the ECE standard is generally more accepted than DOT. SNELL standards seem to be hit or miss because of how they do things. To meet their standard, the helmet generally has to be of a stiffer material and this actually transfers more energy (G force) to your head than the other two standards would allow (because SNELL requires a helmet to be able to take repeated hits rather than just one). It's also purely voluntary to submit a helmet to them and once approved, they allow you to continue making that design forever without being re-certified unless of a major design change. Not saying they're bad mind you, so take that for what it is. Some other private individuals have conducted tests where the cheap helmets actually stood up better than high dollar ones, but nobody wants to hear that.

The way I look at it is this - you can buy an $80,000 BMW or a $15,000 Toyota. The BMW is going to look nicer, ride and drive better, have leather, etc. But at the end of the day, the $15,000 Toyota will get you from point A to point B just as well as the BMW will. Until I can find hard data to say otherwise, I'm applying the same logic to helmets. While I'd love to get the $700-$800 Schuberth/Shoei/Arai, I'm stuck in Toyota territory :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
They run a smidge larger than Shoei, also, but shape is important too. It's a good idea to try one on in a store to get the right fit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I lucked out and found the HJC helmet I had wanted today at my local Honda dealer on clearance for 30% off. I went back to look at the Scorpion and HJC helmets that were on my short list, even though they were a bit more than I wanted to spend. As I'm leaving, I see all these tables full of helmets and gear with "30-50% off" signs on them. Low and behold, I see a nice hi viz yellow something or other poking its head out in the sea of black helmets and I think I can make out Sy Max III on the visor (the one I wanted). I walk up to it and sure enough, it's the helmet I want. Surely it's not in my size though, nope, turns out it's exactly the size I needed. Turns out its last year's model or something and was one that was on display, brand new and not a scratch on it. I end up getting it for $209, $90 off of MSRP and cheaper than the $309 they are selling the new one for :hurray:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yup

I picked up this same AFX ADV helmet over the summer hoping it would flow more air and be cooler than my Arai full face. Figured for the $120 price from Revzilla, if it sucked I wasn't out much.

Anyway, since wearing it, I have yet to put my Arai back on. It's a super helmet and worth 3x's the cost IMO. Has a removable liner, buckle snap chin strap (like Nolan) and a flip-up shield. It's super comfy. The cheek pads seemed big at first (kinda squeeze your face) but they soften once sweated in and I don't even think about it anymore. It flows a ton of air and it even has a built in recess if you want to wear MX goggles. And as well, you can purchase an optional flip-down internal sun shield (again, like the Nolan's). I tried one for a few rides, but took it off as I prefer to wear sunglasses under the shield.

The vents are all closeable and I improvised an airdam under the chin (borrowed from my Arai) which stops the cold air from coming up underneath and I find with a balaclava it's plenty warm for winder riding.

It's one of the best bangs for the buck I've found in gear.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-39-dual-sport-strike-helmet

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have an AFX 39DS but haven't tried it on my Wee. With the buffeting that I am getting with a MadStad and Stock shield and being 6'4 I can't even imagine wearing that on the Wee. It might pull me off the bike or my neck would be sore after a few hours of riding from bouncing around. I wear an HJC Modular and it's probably the best I'm gonna do until I find a Taller Windscreen.. But then again maybe I need to give the AFX a try just to see if I'm right. I did like the AFX on my KTM 950, KLR 650 and BMW GSA's..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I improvised an airdam under the chin (borrowed from my Arai) which stops the cold air from coming up underneath and I find with a balaclava it's plenty warm for winder riding.

You can get a chin curtain made for the FX-39, look it up on Google. They run around $8.

I second pretty much everything that's been said. They run a bit large, I normally wear a medium but according to AFX's sizing chart I'm a small so I crossed my fingers and ordered one in that size. It was pretty tight at first, but I took it on a 42 hour trip and by the end it was broken in and it fits my head like a glove.

The original face shield I received had some defects; I emailed AFX about it and they send me a new one right away. Also, after about 80 hours of riding one of the screws that secures the shield started to back out and the visor started buzzing while I was on the interstate. I took both screws out and put a little loctite on each. Other than those, I've had no issues. The finish of the helmet isn't spectacular, but for $100 it's what I'd expect. I can't see the outside while I'm wearing it anyways, so what do I care? It's comfortable and functional, which is definitely worth the $100 to me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can get a chin curtain made for the FX-39, look it up on Google. They run around $8.

Also, after about 80 hours of riding one of the screws that secures the shield started to back out and the visor started buzzing while I was on the interstate. I took both screws out and put a little loctite on it.

The finish of the helmet isn't spectacular, but for $100 it's what I'd expect
Thanks for the heads up on the chin curtain. Just ordered two of them tonight.

I got mine from Revzilla and had read reviews about the screws backing out or stripping (they're plastic) so I did the loctite route from the get-go. A few thousand miles later and no issues so far.

Yeah, there's some slight blemishes in the finish here and there, kinds look like bubbles of some sort. But like you said, for $100 WTF. After I wore it only a couple times I dropped it on the ground accidentally and scratched the back up anyway :headbang:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I need to look into that chin curtain. I do run a thick Balaclava , (it's been mid 20's leaving in the morning for work these last couple days) but still don't have any legit complaints about it even as a winter helmet. That curtain would be nice for those colder mornings.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I also have an AFX 39DS but haven't tried it on my Wee. With the buffeting that I am getting with a MadStad and Stock shield and being 6'4 I can't even imagine wearing that on the Wee. It might pull me off the bike or my neck would be sore after a few hours of riding from bouncing around. I wear an HJC Modular and it's probably the best I'm gonna do until I find a Taller Windscreen.. But then again maybe I need to give the AFX a try just to see if I'm right. I did like the AFX on my KTM 950, KLR 650 and BMW GSA's..
Definitely, you need to get the slip-stream up over your head. I have a Madstad and a MRA screen. It's the same basic shape as the stock screen, but like 4" taller. I'm only 6' but my Madstadt is only in the low setting so I think it could go probably another 3" taller if moved up, which would probably work for you.

Also play with the angle of the screen with the Madstad. It took me a few changes and trips around the block until I found what worked for me. Mine is angled back pretty good and if you look at the bike from the side, the angle follows the same basic lines as the front faring plastic.

I get perfect flow up over my head with this setup and can even wear a baseball cap doing 70 mph and it stays put.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-touringscreen-windshield-for-suzuki-dl650-04-11

1 - 20 of 20 Posts