StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the bikes are hitting the dealerships in some areas, I'm wondering if anyone has taken a close look to see if the rear shock length, spring length, and shock travel dimensions are close to the previous generation. Suspension travel is still 6.3 inches front and rear. It would be nice if my $1300 aftermarket rear shock would swap over to the new model or could get a simple mod to fit.

I think I remember reading swingarm length is a couple inches longer now. If shock travel has decreased to compensate, I still might be able to get my aftermarket shock re-valved for proper damping. Too bad Suzuki does not publish spring rate data. I would think if spring length and shock travel are about the same, then spring rate should work the same way too.

Has anyone put a tape measure to the rear shock yet?
Overall length?
Spring length?
Shock travel will be a lot tougher to estimate.
I'm hoping the shock linkage dimensions looks the same as the old model.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is almost no change in the newer shocks compared to the old ones,slight decrease in oil volume and the spring has been relocated on the shock body by about 2mm .. Should be a simple switch over to the new bike ..:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
The crucial thing is the linkage ratio, if that's the same (or very close) and the mounting is the same then it will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a $1300 aftermarket shock should be length adjustable
Should be, but not available from Ohlins.
I have the Ohlins 46PRCS Shock Absorber SU 201, "Features adjustable rebound and compression damping, and hose-mounted hydraulic spring preload adjuster."

Alpster87, I don't know where you have gotten the information from, but you have encouraged me. :yesnod:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does the stock shock suck that bad and anticipated to suck as much on the Vee2? I know my 07 Bandit shock was not good but Holeshot/Cogent cured that for $600.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the stock shock suck that bad and anticipated to suck as much on the Vee2? I know my 07 Bandit shock was not good but Holeshot/Cogent cured that for $600.

One question is not how bad the stock shock sucks, it's whether the rates are designed for a little Japanese man or a big (fat) American like me who weighs a hundred pounds more.

The reviews say the shock has no adjustment for compression damping. My prediction is the stock shock will be better than that of the previous generation, which was particularly bad. The aftermarket shock was a critical need on the previous generation.

Many current Wee owners like me can benefit from more hp and abs of the new 1000 model. They often say, "You can't take it with you," but in this case if Alpster87 is right, we can take our old aftermarket shock with us!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Based on past history of stock suspension (not just Suzuki's) theres no reason to think its not going to suck. At the minimum its not likely to be set up correctly for any rider other than the theoretical average they spec it for.
No matter what its a sure thing its not a match for customized Ohlins.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a bit of water has passed under the bridge since the last post on this topic can anyone now confirm that aftermarket shocks suitable for the older gen Vee will fit the Vee 2?

Thanks,

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts