StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably answered somewhere here, but I'm not so hot when it comes to doing searches on message boards. I just bought some heated grips for '13 DL650. Of course the non-throttle side goes on easily. But, the throttle side has the throttle tube to deal with, which is normally no problem either, but Suzuki saw fit to put a proprietary throttle tube on there, with ridges at each end that fit into grooves of the stock grip. Of course, the aftermarket grip doesn't have those grooves, and it looks like it just won't work.
Does anyone know if there's a Suzuki throttle tube without those ridges that will work, or an aftermarket one? The grips are Koso brand, the same brand I put on my Versys with no problems.
It's always something.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can file or grind the ridges off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cut the little flanges off at the inner and outer ends of the throttle tube (I used a hack saw, going around taking a little section off at a time). Then file or sand the ridges of. The heated grip will then slide on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greywolf, I was considering that, but I got ambitious and looked in the Parts Unlimited catalog and they show Motion Pro offers a throttle tube for it, PU's part number 0632-0217. But I was hoping to hit the road Tuesday or Wednesday, so I may have to use your suggestion. Thanks, tho.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got out the Dremel tool and ground off the flanges at each end. The Oxfords went on without any problems then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a pair of Oxfords.

I ground the outer flange off with the Dremel but it looks like I will need to remove the throttle tube to grind off the larger inner flange.

I've never disconnected the throttle cables on this bike and it looks kind of tight. Can I just pop the cable ends out and it all go happily back together or are there any concerns there?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a pair of Oxfords.

I ground the outer flange off with the Dremel but it looks like I will need to remove the throttle tube to grind off the larger inner flange.

I've never disconnected the throttle cables on this bike and it looks kind of tight. Can I just pop the cable ends out and it all go happily back together or are there any concerns there?
I just installed oxfords on mine. no need to take off the throttle tube. just use the die grinder to take off both flanges at each end of the tube. and also to take the ridges of the tube. sand with sand paper afterward to make smooth. Taking apart the throttle tube assy. is way too much work and unnecessary. if installing oxfords you will need to trim the grip ends as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
I Dremel'd down the throttle side also and the grip went on easily. I used a bit of glue to make it stick. I installed R&G grips but can't recommend them due to lack of adequate heat.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't be scared to take the throttle tube off. There is absolutely nothing scary about it. It takes about 30 seconds to get the tube off and about 45 to put it back on. If you've ever worked on bicycles at all the cables make complete sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A bit of advice if using the Oxford grips with the supplied crazy glue. Keep a rubber mallet handy. You have test fitted the grips and think you will have time to press them into place before the glue begins to set but this has not been my experience. After the grips are about 1/2 way on they stop. At this point I simply took the mallet and knocked them into place.
More advice: Watch the video posted earlier and remove the throttle tube to remove the ridges. BTW - The Oxford grips work very well. Get the right size. The Adventure grips are too long. The Touring grips are the correct ones.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can trim the Adventure grips down. They are made to be trimmed. They even give you trim dimensions. I found that there was a groove molded into the grip that is the perfect cut line for the Adventure grip to fit the V-Strom. This cut is plenty long over the minimum dimension spelled out in the manual.

If you want the more aggressive texture of the adventure grip, don't settle for less just because you don't want to trim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts