StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 DL1000 and love it, but I am at the point where I want to make some additional changes to eliminate my temptation to get at 1200GS! One of the changes I want to make is better handlebars. In my experience the stock bars are too wimpy (flex too much). I thought about an aftermarket crossbar, but I think I would prefer stiffer bars that are as close as possible to the stock bar dimensions since I am very comfortable with them. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket bar with same or close dimensions to the stock bars?

·
Registered
766 Posts
There are no after market bars that has as much pull back as the stock. There is a reason. 6.25" is ridiculous. My after market Universal MX Solex Quad bend are 31.96" 5.70" 2.55". SO much better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ride an 03 1000, and like many I couldn't stand the bend in those stock bars, I mounted a set of low rise steel braced msr atv/mx bars with a lot less pullback, I have them on top of a set of pivoting Rox risers , so I can position them just where I want them. the risers cost twice the price of the bars, but well worth it . with my risers sloping back at about 45 degrees and the bars tilted just so my wrists are comfy, the total rise is about the same as the stockers. OH yeah the new bars were a bit wider, easily adjusted with a hack saw.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I can identify with those people who don't like the stock bars. I hated them for about 6 months till I read a post here about changing your riding posture. When I tucked in my elbows, the pullback was perfect and has been for the last three years. I tried a set with less pullback and went back to the stockers. If I can find something that is the same or very close to stock but with less flex, I will be happy! Coming from cruisers, it took some time to adapt my riding position to the Strom, but now that I have it down, I would NEVER go back!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Tucking in your elbows is not the best riding position especially if you need to make a rapid move. Elbows tucked in is a lazy riding position and the wrists will still be bent instead of a more natural straighter position. No other sport touring / adventure touring stock bars have as much pull back. Gotta be a reason why.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I find the stock bar bend very much to my liking. I have a set of the GenMar pullback risers on my Vee and that combo makes the bike extremely comfortable. I'll quantify my statement by also adding that my Vee wears a RDL seat that is about 2" taller than stock and I am long torsoed.

I'll probably just invest in a bar brace to stiffen up the stock bars.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am tall, which compounds the problem due to the pull back. I have a taller seat also. The Solex bars have a 2" taller rise then stock.

I think the same problem can be made if the rider is wide. Broad shoulders increases the angle of the wrist. Big across the middle, can't tuck their elbows in....... back to the angle of the wrist to hand issue.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Another vote for the MSR ATV Low bars. The noodly stock bars were driving me batty, and the MSRs have a crossbar that makes them a lot stronger. Plus, they're cheap -- $25 - $30 -- and available everywhere.

The riding position is only a bit different (maybe an inch forward and down, which I felt was an improvement) and the handguards clear the fairing just fine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find the stock bar bend very much to my liking. I have a set of the GenMar pullback risers on my Vee and that combo makes the bike extremely comfortable. I'll quantify my statement by also adding that my Vee wears a RDL seat that is about 2" taller than stock and I am long torsoed.

I'll probably just invest in a bar brace to stiffen up the stock bars.
The bar brace is looking very attractive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts