StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a little searching and am drawing up a blank on this one, so here we go:

I'm picking up an '06 Wee that is going to see mostly commuting and city duty along with some occasional touring. Since I've already been taken out by a cab once and I'd rather not go through that again, I've decided it would be nice to have a little more "noticeable" exhaust note in the hope that others may take notice before they run me over (at least then they don't have to lie and say they didn't see me, but I digress). However, I do plan on doing some light-duty offroading and will want to protect the underside of the bike from any bumps, rocks, etc...and here lay the problem. I like sound of the Remus and the protection of the Touratech, but it doesn't look like they'll mate up due to the Remus' pipe set up.

Which finally brings me to my question for y'all: what would you recommend for exhaust options (primarily for sound, I'll admit-though I do plan on rejetting for proper prformance tune) that will work with an aftermarket skid plate and probably center stand? Please note that I am not married to the Remus or the Touratech, they just happened to be my favs at the moment.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to the input.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the original SW motech skid plate, centerstand, and a Scorpion exhaust and everything works fine together. The Scorpion exhaust can attaches further up on the exhaust pipe, no interference with anything. As for sound, I love the Scorpion, it gives a very nice throaty sound to the Wee without being too loud. For traffic safety, get a Steibel horn too....

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Get an exhaust if you like the sound. On the DL650, aftermarket exhausts don't really improve overall performance and they sure as heck provide no safety benefit.

For safety intersts, I highly recommend reading and absorbing 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough.

For commuting, I recommend a white helmet and a top case.
For touring, add side cases.

You can get all of the above for less than the price of an exhaust. It's not as sexy, but what do you really want?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unless your exhaust is ear bleeding loud, anyone in a cage won't hear it till you have already passed them

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
To me the Hyde Racing plate is ideal for a Wee and for protection against stones and rocks being thrown up by the front wheel which is all most owners need to worry about.
Remember that the Touratech plate requires that you relocate the oil cooler.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That Ain't No Bash Plate

Aside from the fact that the previous post is in the wrong thread I can't resist flaming the use of the Hyde Racing (?) plate. Look what it's bolted to at the front! Protection for the oil cooler - somewhat. Protection for the exhaust - Nyet! :thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Don't really see what the Hyde skid plate would protect? The paint on the back side of the skid plate? The oil cooler is still stickin' right out there with the minimal suzuki screen still employed. Anything hitting that skid plate will be directed right into the exhaust header....kinda silly, no wonder they're on sale everywhere.

A Stebel Horn is way louder than any Staintune, Scorpion or exhaust de jour. I'd get an exhaust system if I wanted to hear the bike in a different tone, and as the previous poster mentioned, all the pipes you can get for a Wee will not be nearly LOUD enough to create the sonic sphere of protection you think a pipe will provide - it won't.....but, the incredibly loud Stebel will create that stunning auditory effect. It's much more effective at mentally freezing oblivious cage drivers dead in their tracks, than any off the rack exhaust could ever hope to be.....139db of awesomeness!

Hit the red button, and watch them squeal in pain.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are there any threads about how and where to mount the stebel horn? I went to their website and it looks like you'll need a laundry list of Radio Shack items to install it properly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Installing a Stebel Air Horn on a V-Strom

You're not going to get a lot of information about installing the Stebel horn on this forum.

Not that there aren't experienced and knowledgeable people here who could respond with good advice. It's just that these erudite folks have already invested hundreds of hours on this topic on the VSRI (V-Strom Riders International) forum.

So I suggest you mosey over to the VSRI forum and do a search on "Stebel". You'll then be rewarded with about a week's worth of reading.

Take good notes. The lingo and jargon can be a little overwhelming, especially for those with limited electrical and technical understanding. But there are plenty of charts, diagrams and pictures (which can make a whole lot of difference in getting your head around it).

This farkle is getting near the top of my ToDo list so I will be diving into this material soon myself. Maybe we could share information - in THIS forum sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
You're not going to get a lot of information about installing the Stebel horn on this forum.

Not the there aren't experienced and knowledgeable people here who could respond with good advice. It's just that these erudite folks have already invested hundreds of hours on this topic on the VSRI (V-Strom Riders International) forum.

So I suggest you mosey over to the VSRI forum and do a search on "Stebel". You'll then be rewarded with about a week's worth of reading.

Take good notes. The lingo and jargon can be a little overwhelming, especially for those with limited electrical and technical understanding. But there are plenty of charts, diagrams and pictures (which can make a whole lot of difference in getting your head around it).

This farkle is getting near the top of my ToDo list so I will be diving into this material soon myself. Maybe we could share information - in THIS forum sometime soon.
Say what? There are lots of threads here on this topic, with good photos and even wiring diagrams. site:stromtrooper.com stebel install - Google Search

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
back on topic

To answer the OP's actual question: there are quite a few slip-on exhausts available for the 04-06 wees. Since the stock headers stay in place, any skid plate will work.

For 07 and later, there's only one exhaust I know of that doesn't require replacing the header pipes, which is the Holeshot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stebel Horn Threads

Oops! I stand corrected. Earlier I did a search on this site for Stebel discussions and I only got three hits. One was a four year old thread and the other two only came up because of the word "Stebel" was mentioned in other threads.

So to Tomahawk13 I say start with the Stromtroopers and if you still can't fathom the gobbledegook then try elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts