StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 2017 650? Looking for some more sound than stock and reducing the size and weight of the giant stock exhaust would be nice as well

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 2017 650? Looking for some more sound than stock and reducing the size and weight of the giant stock exhaust would be nice as well

I imagine there are a lot of eyes watching for a positive response to this.
Saving several kg and having a better (doesn’t mean louder) exhaust note will be worth the not inconsiderable investment.
Here’s hoping.........

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,309 Posts
The problem with aftermarket exhaust is that they don't really add power. They can reduce weight. The biggest issue is cost, as the affordable brands are usually the loud ones. Akrapovic is a very good brand and not obnoxious. You might get light headed when you price one!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Officially listed for the 2017 now?

Sent from my iPhone8

Oo.... well, the website says 2018. Not sure where to find actual stock.

It's one of those things that if I have to replace it, I will. Looks smaller than on my 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm very surprised to see basically no aftermarket offerings out there for this bike, considering it's been out for well over a year now. I put a slip-on on both of my SV650s, the v-twin sounds incredible uncorked a bit. Sure there is minimal power difference but the sound can't be beat. I will pay attention to this thread as the stock can while it isn't an eyesore, it could stand to let the motor "bark" a bit more.

·
Vendor
5,174 Posts
The design of the 2017+ and 2012+ DL650s were not done with ease of aftermarket exhaust in mind. You can't just add a "slip on" muffler, which is the bread and butter of after market companies.

https://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/suz/590908ba87a8660fa09ff007/muffler

The link works better than the picture to show the problem. To replace that muffler you have to replace all the exhaust pipe that is welded to it as well. That is a lot of pipe and it does not fit inside a reasonable size shipping container.

It is possible to convert your stock exhaust internals to a fiberglass packed style exhaust. It would give you the sound you want, cost a very small fraction of what an aftermarket exhausr would cost, and make for a pretty cool DIY thread here on the forum.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=1782.0

Very Cool.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The design of the 2017+ and 2012+ DL650s were not done with ease of aftermarket exhaust in mind. You can't just add a "slip on" muffler, which is the bread and butter of after market companies.

The link works better than the picture to show the problem. To replace that muffler you have to replace all the exhaust pipe that is welded to it as well. That is a lot of pipe and it does not fit inside a reasonable size shipping container.

It is possible to convert your stock exhaust internals to a fiberglass packed style exhaust. It would give you the sound you want, cost a very small fraction of what an aftermarket exhausr would cost, and make for a pretty cool DIY thread here on the forum.

Very Cool.
I see, didn't realize it was as complicated of a design. At the very least it looks like you don't have to cut the exhaust like I did on the SV650. That's always a bit unnerving hacking up the OEM system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is an outfit in SE asia doing a system.

I tried to post the link but need one more post before i can post links. My following post will contain the link (hopefully)

Not sure how loud it would be. I've been quoted roughly $AU550 landed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know if a Power Commander is required after swapping the exhaust on the 650 models since it's essentially a 3/4 system? I'm pretty disappointed to see it isn't an easy swap like the 1000...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just fitted a Scorpion to my 2013 AL2, not sure if they do one for the 2017> 650, the sound is great, power and torque seems better, nicer bike to ride and dopey smart phone users are less likely to step out in front of me,
money well spent. I've used Fuel and Delkevic cans before on other bikes and the Scorpion is a lot better product in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts