StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,

Im new here, and I just invested in a 07 DL650... I have been really thinking hard about it, and think I wana put on an aftermarket exhaust on her... .

What is your thoughts about that? And what experiences do you have with that and regards to fuel consumption and so on?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Two Brothers system. They call it a 3/4 system which I like as it got rid of the bulky stock collector and heat shield (some probably want it, I don't). I can't say I notice a difference in power or fuel consumption, but looks and sounds great In my opinion. The P1X baffle is a very good upgrade, brings the sound to a decent level of enjoyment without being too loud (even open tip I don't find it obnoxiously loud). It is also very light and knocks off some weight compared to the heavy stock exhaust.

If you want to keep the heat shield in the mid-pipe area between rider and passenger pegs, a slip on like a Scorpion may be a better option, also a little easier to install (but you have to cut your stock pipe). I didn't see enough reason to pay to get a full system like a Leo Vince over the 3/4 system, but I wanted a more compete system than a slip on.

So is it worth it? That's up to the user, don't expect any miracles as far as performance. It may make a little difference in power, but I like how it sounds more than stock, I like how it looks, and I like the weight reduction, even if it isn't really noticeable. So for me it's worth it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You'll find at least several threads with some great info if you do a search...
Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a carbon fiber Akrapovic on my '15 Glee. Not sure if there's much of a difference for the older generation but I love mine. They claim you lose about 12 pounds, which I believe just from feeling the two systems. Of course the easiest way, for me at least, to lose weight on the bike is to lose about 50 pounds.

I bought the exhaust mainly because I literally could not hear the engine at all inside my Shoei, even if I wasn't playing music. Now I can and I don't think it's overly loud at all. I've heard that the Akrapovic is one of the more quiet systems though. I don't regret buying it at all and definitely recommend Akrapovic.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey there guys,

Im new here, and I just invested in a 07 DL650... I have been really thinking hard about it, and think I wana put on an aftermarket exhaust on her... .

What is your thoughts about that? And what experiences do you have with that and regards to fuel consumption and so on?
Most Two Brothers exhausts are not EPA or Carb compliant and as such are not street legal.

Power increase is minimal. Two brothers claim 3.4 HP more power, but keep in mind this is at 9,400 RPM.
Along most of the usable range their is really no difference, or the difference is so small you would only notice it on times laps
and if your a very skilled rider.

Weight loss is about the only advantage, but really on such a heavy bike that makes little difference.... better to go on a diet and lose a few pounds rather than buy an aftermarket pipe for weight saving.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive got a 3/4 system on my K9, so i can put the stock system back ion pretty quickly if necessary. Its an IXIL stainless system, and i love it. Sound is great, even better with the baffle out, but too loud for the suburbs without it.

I reckon the motor spins up quicker through the gears, any fuel saving is minimal. Much less weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys, I can see that its clearly a case of sound difference only... as these are really not performance bikes anyway. I would like to hear what one sounds like with the aftermarket exhaust though, before I make a final decision.

thanks for the replies.

regards

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are plenty of YouTube videos with aftermarket pipes fitted. To me, pipes are way overpriced for the minimal increase in HP and economy, and can mess with the fuel injection settings to produce flat spots.

I like the stock pipe on my Glee. It's quiet with a little grumble when you get on the throttle. The bike is not a crotch rocket. Noise is the enemy of an extended ride.

Lose weight.

Install a center stand instead. Much more usable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey all... thanks for the replies.. I eventually got an aftermarket can fitted... must say, not too happy... fuel consumption has increased quite a bit... anyway, sounds great.. but thats about it...

no other improvements hey...

now im stuck with a damm busted rear shock and a hole in my new Can due to that... im sooo P#[email protected]# off...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not sure if this is true: "At the present time there are several states that have enacted the California laws (i.e. Massachusetts, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington) and new vehicles are sold as "California Emissions Equipped Vehicles". "

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if this is true: "At the present time there are several states that have enacted the California laws (i.e. Massachusetts, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington) and new vehicles are sold as "California Emissions Equipped Vehicles". "

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
this is what i know.... in California, we have our own EPA sticker (see attached image) for vehicles manufactured to be sold in the state. if it doesn't have it, it cannot be sold in the state. This only applies to vehicles with less than 7500 (CA considers all vehicles as "new" with under 7500 miles). This is a requirement here. If the states mentioned above have enacted similar laws, that's awesome. we had to enact because there are 40 million people living in the state and everyone drives. we are a huge impact on the environment.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts