StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2010 was due for a coolant change. Since the hoses had never been done, I figured I might as well do them while there is no coolant in.

In hindsight, I should have just bought OEM hoses but these AS3 Performance hoses were slightly cheaper, would arrive sooner and looked nice.

However, the two short stubby hoses that come off the thermostat assembly were a bit longer than the factor ones so there is a slight kink on the inside radius of the pre-bent curves in the hoses (see pics).

I really don't want to rip it out and fix it if I don't have to so wondering what the experts here think. Is this slight kink on the one side going to hurt anything? Materially reduce the flow? Materially reduce the longevity of the hose? Or should I take them out and cut them down to get a better fit?

Really appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Not an expert on the subject. I would think that if there is not physical drag / vibration to pull the holes loose, then you are good. Care to share more info on these new hoses? Did you take your old hoses in to match up or how did you decide on these specific hoses?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I had to trim one of my aftermarket hoses and I've had no problems since. (Several years). I kept my old ones around until the job was done and the difference was obvious when I checked the problem one. (Don't think it was the same as yours).

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
762 Posts
It will work. Keep an eye on the temperature for the first few weeks.

If it bothers you, order the OEM hose and you should have that by Christmas as a back up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with trimming I replaced mines with generic hoses trimmed by me and they have done great around 2 years now.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I would watch any kinks in the hoses until the bike has been run enough to get them hot for an extended period of time. Once hot, the kinks may fold up and restrict flow. If they don't, your good.

Personally, I just buy OEM stuff for these applications to avoid the extra labor and cussing using after-market typically causes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your feedback.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm headed on a multi day ride on Friday and would hate to find out then that the slight kink causes a problem.

On the flip side, I'd hate to pull everything out, try and trim the hoses and something not work out and not be able to get the bike back together in time!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm headed on a multi day ride on Friday and would hate to find out then that the slight kink causes a problem.

On the flip side, I'd hate to pull everything out, try and trim the hoses and something not work out and not be able to get the bike back together in time!
It is not much of a kink. Take it for an hour ride or so on stop and go roads where the bike will get hot. If it is going to be an issue, it should show up pretty quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Care to share more info on these new hoses?
I found them from a company called AS3 Performance. They make kits for the different generations of the V-Strom. Here's the kit I bought: Link

I emailed the company about them not fitting properly and they seem interested in getting to the bottom of the issue and sending out replacement ones. It's a bit of a pain to have to replace the hoses twice so I wish I would have just went with the OEM hoses but will be interesting to see what they do regarding the poor fitment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is not much of a kink. Take it for an hour ride or so on stop and go roads where the bike will get hot. If it is going to be an issue, it should show up pretty quick.
Went for a ride last night with just the gas tank back on. It was moderately warm outside. The bike was heating up as the radiator fan was coming on but the temp gauge never went past normal temperature.

Should be good then hey?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Went for a ride last night with just the gas tank back on. It was moderately warm outside. The bike was heating up as the radiator fan was coming on but the temp gauge never went past normal temperature.

Should be good then hey?
I wouldn't loose much sleep over it. If the hose kinks on you during your trip a zip tie tightened around the kink area will probably open it back up to flow. Everybody should carry some zip ties, bailing wire, and gorilla tape with them anyway.

You did break a mechanic rule though......I never work on my bike any closer than a month out from a long trip. That way I get several rides in to figure out what I may have done wrong.

Good luck, ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't loose much sleep over it. If the hose kinks on you during your trip a zip tie tightened around the kink area will probably open it back up to flow. Everybody should carry some zip ties, bailing wire, and gorilla tape with them anyway.

You did break a mechanic rule though......I never work on my bike any closer than a month out from a long trip. That way I get several rides in to figure out what I may have done wrong.

Good luck, ride safe.
Thanks! Appreciate all your insight. I know I shouldn't have done it so close but a trip was the kick in the butt I needed to change cool and and hoses and replace rear brake fluid (front was done when I extended the brake line).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts