StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some aftermarket levers. The right side took care of itself. The left however, has me a little perplexed. If I set it up with the factory free play, the bike tries to take off when in gear. I started trying to set the clutch with it cold, and on the center stand. So fellow troopers, when your bike is cold, and on the center stand, does your rear wheel:
-have no movement after the initial “into gear” movement?
-a little forward movement, that is easily stopped with your toe on the tire?
-or a little more movement, that is pretty difficult to stop with your toe, but when sitting on the bike, does not move the bike forward?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Pretty common for a clutch to drag when cold. Wet clutch plates tend to stick together when not used for awhile. Yea the tire will spin on the center stand.

Adjust the clutch when the bike is warmed up and you sitting on it.

In the mornings it helps to pull in the lever and rock the bike a bit (bike in neutral) before putting it in gear too.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
I had a crash that ruined the levers but cheap-o's from the local Power Sports shop made thing all better again. No issues with the front brake or the clutch.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Have a good look at the position of the pivot hole and the position of the hole to take the cables end.

I recently did some work on a bike with aftermarket leavers and the holes were off by just a fraction and it meant the cable was rubbing where it should not rub and was shortening the life of the cable.

I could tell because when I wanted to spin the adjuster at the leaver the grove in the adjuster would catch on the cable as it spun.

As said it is normal for the wheel to spin with cold oil and will take less force to stop the spin as the oil warms up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts