StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on an aftermarket chain? Also, is the stock chain on an '03 an o-ring chain? How do I clean some rust off of the stock chain?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi MK. Yes, the stock chain is an "O" ring 525 chain. I understand some owners go to a 530 when it's time to replace the stock chain. That means changing the primary and rear sprockets. There are upgrade 525 chains that are stronger and better that the stock though. You'll have to shop around. My K4 1000 Strom only has 700 mi on it, so I haven't gotten into upgrade chains yet.

Navel jelly will get the rust off with an old toothbrush. After that, clean the chain with a Kerosene soaked clean shop rag. Let it dry about a half hour, then use a commercially available (spray on) synthetic "O" ring lube on the inside of the chain. It helps to tie a "twisty tie" around the outside of a link before you start so you know where you are on the chain. Let it all dry till it feels "matty" or "sticky" (doesn't take too long). Adjust the chain tension to the manual spec, and you're good to ride.

If you're a complete "newbie" to chain maintenance, you might get someone with experience to help you the first time. But definitely learn to do it yourself. It's a very important part of motorcycling.

I hope this helps you.

TL

"always follow your heart"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TommyLee53 said:
It helps to tie a "twisty tie" around the outside of a link before you start
Excellent recommendation. I tried that last time I cleaned/lubed the chain and it took all the guesswork out of it. Mind you, the wife is still hunting the twist tie from her mobile phone charger. Ooops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts