StromTrooper banner

After the pandemic subsides the bike shops might get busy.....

5K views 69 replies 24 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
Fixing all the stuff bored not so mechanically inclined people tried to fix/maintain themselves

In the last few days on several MC related sited it is becoming more common to see threads:

- I just got done installing __ and this part is left over, what is it?

- What is this part?

- The bike run ran fine before I did ____?

- I broke this trying to fix that now what do I do?

- I broke a bolt off how do I get the stud out?

- I snapped off and EZ out trying to get a broken bolt out, now what do I do?

#6 ·
Bike shops are still open here.
I'm still working and using any excuse to get out on the bikes.

Reactions: Big B
#9 ·
I'm keeping my eye out for the slightly used ones that are coming up for sale. The toy dumping phase of the current financial crisis seems to be starting

#8 · (Edited)
I just got my bike inspected, and repair/ maintenance work done. I always go early in the season, so I can be riding early in these Adirondacks of Upstate N.Y. I have no idea how my local Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer survives! They are down to 3 mechanics, as it is difficult to find and keep good help. Unless hell freezes over, I am still planning on my Nova Scotia trip in mid-August.

#17 ·
I have one already Motor man. ;) I have done the DIY at home shave it all off once before.

But they are sold out! Amazon...

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

#19 ·
It will be interesting to see what happens to the economy once things get back on track. It will be different for sure. A lot of jobs will not return. Many business' will not survive this which is sad. It is going to take some time to recover to the point we were at before, if we ever do. The debt imposed by this will have a far reaching, and long lasting effect. I wonder if the average consumer has had a wake up call as well. Maybe be a little better prepared for downturns rather than living beyond one's means? I see a significant decline in the demand for luxury items/toys such as motorcycles and a resultant drop in pricing until the backlog of inventory is sold. Production would be scaled back to accommodate the decline in demand.

For selfish reasons, I am going to keep a close eye on the pricing of KTM's 790. For some reason I have an itch to have one.

#21 ·
With this going on cash is king and keep an eye out for good deals.
People will drop prices quick if out work at the moment.
Bike shops and car dealers keep calling wanting me to come visit.
Got one offer on a new car, 6 months before first payment, 84 months at 0 interest.
I’m not in the market, but damn!
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: D.T.
#22 ·
I took delivery of a new 2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure on Tuesday. Bike had been ordered in February, and arrived at the dealership at the begin of the pandemic. The sales person and I discus pick up of the bike or the dealer delivering to my home. I was trading in a bike it made more sense for me to pick up. The transaction was like a drug deal.
My new bike was parked outside by the service department. The front door to the dealership had a sign to go to service. Service door was look, the guy as the desk came to the door unlocking and opening the door about 3 inches, ask what I wanted. Told him that I was there to trade bikes, he said wait and locked the door. A couple of minutes the service over head door opened and the sales manager came out and told me to stay back as they pushed my old bike into the service bay. The door closed. Few minutes later the service department door opened 6 inches and a box of cheap plastic gloves was held out for me to take a pair. Then a clip board came out of the door with the paper work and pen. I sign the highlighted section on all the paperwork and handed back through the door. A few minutes later the sales manger asked if I had any question on operating the new bike, no I said. The door closed and was locked again. A few minutes later the door opened 6 inches paperwork was handed out along with the keys.
I left on my new bike.

#26 ·
I was happy to complete the deal. In Minnesota only essential businesses are open. Technically the dealership was closed for bike sales, parts and service are open by appointment. Most of the deal was completed in February, I just had to complete the finial paperwork.
The dealership was doing their job of keeping everyone involved safe. The Sales Manger did warn me about new tires being slippery, my safety was their concern.
I worked in a hospital for 34 years, part of my job was disaster preparedness. I worked closely with Infection Control, understanding the required periodical of infection control safety. In Minnesota the State has done a good job with limiting the spread of the Covid-19 virus.

#27 ·
Bike dealers are supposed to be open for sales, as long as they do it in a non contact way. The only thing not open at motorcycles dealers right now in MN is the accessories areas. Service, parts and sales are still running.

#29 ·
Can't just insure it and ride it? MN put in place all sorts of exemptions for licensing when the services are closed.

Reactions: D.T.
#31 ·
Here in MN there is just a set of information on the DMV website explaining what services are available and what services are not. And that things like expiring drivers licenses will still be considered valid for 2 months past whenever the shutdown ends.

#35 ·
I can get stickers all day, but can't get a title transfer and new places. My state police told me to keep the insurance, bill of sale, and title in the vehicle and that i could still be pulled over because they'd have probable cause without plates displayed. Guess i'll just have to plan on getting pulled over if a cop comes behind me.

#36 ·
Around here repair shops are open as 'essential businesses'. I called the one I've had do work before to verify they were open. They are, sorta. I was told to fill out the form and put my keys in an envelope and drop it through their door slot. They would then move the bike inside for me (after I left), diagnose my issue, and call me.

I appreciate they're taking things seriously, as I see a lot of places that aren't.

Getting my ABS fixed probably isn't critical right now, but I have the money to fix it and I thought it would be helpful to spread some of that out into the community during hard times.

#37 ·
Around here repair shops are open as 'essential businesses'. I called the one I've had do work before to verify they were open. They are, sorta. I was told to fill out the form and put my keys in an envelope and drop it through their door slot. They would then move the bike inside for me (after I left), diagnose my issue, and call me.

I appreciate they're taking things seriously, as I see a lot of places that aren't.

Getting my ABS fixed probably isn't critical right now, but I have the money to fix it and I thought it would be helpful to spread some of that out into the community during hard times.
It is a great time to get auto/bike service done right now - places just aren't that busy. I brought my wifes convertible into the glass shop last week for a new windshield, got an appointment the day after I scheduled it. Normally that would be a week out.

#42 ·
If someone doesn't know how to fix something, all they have to do is ask right here. Then do the job and learn.

Reactions: SuperG
#46 ·
Ah yes we've all heard they are only a mistakes if you knowingly repeat it becasue you didn't learn from it. Too bad more people do not ask about the task before they attempt it. Kind of the measure twice cut once mentality. All too often its cut, cut, cut, measure then cut some more only too realize its too short then ask how to make it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.