StromTrooper banner

Advice to shop out welding for engine guards?

1944 21
I've mentioned, experimented, and cross-posted about wanting something to raise the angle of the bike when taking a nap, and guess I just need to find someone who can weld these for me.

Any advice for shopping out welding?

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cut & tack weld it together. Fit it to the bike loosely to make sure everything lines up.(easier to tweak it now). take it off bike for final welding.
That's good. One of the problems I was thinking about was how do I get a shop to prototype or mockup the work. Cut & Tack is the answer to that question.

I don't expect the welds to be difficult for an experienced welder. It's steel. What's tricky is fitting the bent pipe. You want to get this "wing" positioned over mounting bolts, which gives you two funny angles that are not the same angle nor 90-degrees to the bend.

The next problem I was thinking about was choosing the right shop. I don't need a machinist, but will a guy with an angle grinder and welding gear know how to fabricate? In the first case I guess I'm looking for a shop that does exactly this kind of work. In the second case I need a really good idea of what I want (drawings?), and how to do it (cut & tack) so I can keep a guy accountable and on point. I have to pull the plug if they don't seem to know what they're doing.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spalding for sure...I want the bounce..mayhaps I won't have to do any lifting.

As for fittings, there's a good resource for manufacturers based in the United States, Thomasnet.com

Even if you're not in the US, it can be a good research resource. Figure out the names of things and major product manufacturers.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
“mandrel bend” good stuff.

I’m leaning toward the hardware bracket. Something temporary.If I like it, I can take it to a shop, and tell them to just weld it.

A legit prototype i can test (not just a mock-up). And i have something the welder can see to create

1 - 4 of 4 Posts