StromTrooper banner

Advice to shop out welding for engine guards?

1947 21
I've mentioned, experimented, and cross-posted about wanting something to raise the angle of the bike when taking a nap, and guess I just need to find someone who can weld these for me.

Any advice for shopping out welding?

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If you have never welded, I would encourage you to think about trying it. A $250 dollar flux core welder makes it shockingly easy. Bending mild steel pipe can be as simple or sophisticated as you want. For years I had no bender at all. I would just cut a few "pie" pieces out of the inside of the curve so it bends easily to the appropriate angle and then weld it back. It really is as simple as running a hot melt glue gun, but with steel.

Plus, this will make all kinds of other things possible, like a rear wheel paddock stand, custom mounts to use Dewalt tool boxes as paniers, fancy modern steel and glass furniture, making your trailer stronger, etc etc etc x 1,000.

The welder might pay for itself on this first job. Second job almost certainly. And there are 8,000 videos on YT to teach you anything you could possibly want to know about bending and welding and fabricating. It's like a minor super power. Zero judgement if you don't want to go down that path, but it's a tremendous amount of fun.
And the satisfaction when you build something by yourself = priceless 👍

Q: can you fill the pipe with water, freeze and then bend? I've seen it done on copper pipes.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Can you please advise where you can source these items? I Googled "pipe end / 2way / 3way clamps" and nothing similar came up. Thanks!
try "display rack clamps or rack scaffold connector" also in "sailboats and marine bimini hardware"

Font Auto part Technology Event Automotive tire

Reactions: Vandergraf

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Or just strap a couple of Spaldings :LOL:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tire

Or couple of car jacks to help you lift it the first 10" which are the hardest... make sure you mount the crank receiver facing up, just like I did ;) (Patent pending)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts