StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing a Scottoiler Mk7 on my DL650 (along with new sprockets and chain) this winter.

I'm currently poring over locations to mount the cylindrical reservoir. I'd prefer to not use up underseat storage space, and am hoping that the experience of others will help me find the ideal spot. Pictures welcome!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I installed a Scottoiler on my Wee (don't know about the "Mk7" designation), but I put the small reservoir on the left side square frame tube (angles up perhaps 40 degrees), above the left footpeg. I didn't tighten the bolt down hard, so to fill it, it can be pivoted out easily.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Scottoiler?

I installed a Scottoiler on my Wee (don't know about the "Mk7" designation), but I put the small reservoir on the left side square frame tube (angles up perhaps 40 degrees), above the left footpeg. I didn't tighten the bolt down hard, so to fill it, it can be pivoted out easily.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a Scottoiler. It may be another thing I have to have for my Wee.

Howrd

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
A Scottoiler is an automatic chain oiler. It really lubes the chain & sprockets. A good chain, anymore, doesn't need internal lubrication as the x or o rings keep lubrication inside. It lubes the chain rollers and the sprockets, helping prolong the life of those components.

The "stupid" question is one ya don't ask!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Mk7 is the basic universal kit. Thanks for pointing out the frame tube; I'll likely use the same location.

How did you secure the bracket? I'm thinking a stainless hose clamp will do nicely, or perhaps forgo the bracket and use the rubber support base, and use a hose clamp or two.

Doug

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Hi, Doug~
I'll go out to the bike today (it's way over in a separate garage & it's zero out right now!) and check to see exactly how I've got it mounted, then get back to you. Wish I knew how to attach pictures to these posts! Forgo the optional "dual" feeder tubes to the chain; mine fell off around at around 200 miles! Scott's "special oil" is pretty much straight 30 weight engine oil (or "awl" if ya live in "Ahia" ((Ohio)). The one downside is that if you turn up the variable flowrate, you'll get splatters on the rear rim & fender-nothing to worry about on the tire. Remember that you're pretty much lubing the chain rollers & sprockets, so a high flowrate is a waste. The flow will vary with temperature-warmer will let the flowrate increase. It's a slick device for long trips!
And I meant to say the left passenger footpeg...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Removed the helmet lock and fabricated a simple 'L' bracket. Out of the way and easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I think I have the "Universal Kit." It came with a small L bracket, and a flat kinda oval bracket with 3 holes in it. I attached the oval bracket to the passenger footpeg mount, the L bracket to that and the reservoir, which allowed the reservoir to lay parallel to the small square frame tube. As a side benefit, the reservoir will easily pivot out to refill, then picot back to stay out of way.
Hope this helps Doug!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have the "Universal Kit." It came with a small L bracket, and a flat kinda oval bracket with 3 holes in it. I attached the oval bracket to the passenger footpeg mount, the L bracket to that and the reservoir, which allowed the reservoir to lay parallel to the small square frame tube. As a side benefit, the reservoir will easily pivot out to refill, then picot back to stay out of way.
Hope this helps Doug!
Very helpful indeed. I ended up using the same area. Everything is hose-clamped and zip-tied in place -- come spring I'll know if it's secure enough. Tucks in very nicely:

No problems with the gravity feed:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Nice installation. I like how it is tucked out of the way.
- Have you tried it with the supply filled to 1/3 (less oil weight)? My concern is the S in the tube.
- How do you fill the supply?
- I have had bad experiences with sharply bent stainless steel straps. The largwe zip ties or velcro work as well and don't break with vibration. Come to think of it mine were used with a heavy tool tube on a KLR. Yours should be safe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice installation. I like how it is tucked out of the way.
- Have you tried it with the supply filled to 1/3 (less oil weight)? My concern is the S in the tube.
- How do you fill the supply?
Thanks.

The run of the tubing doesn't seem to negatively affect the flow of oil. I've got the meter set to the first or second position, and it seems to keep things fairly oiled.

The only drawback of the reservoir's location is that the angle effectively reduces its useable capacity. Set at that angle disallows it to fill completely or drain completely. I haven't bothered to figure out how much it is reduced, but I like the location and am willing to live with it.

The procedure for filling the reservoir is quite easy, and can be done with the reservoir tucked in or flipped out on its little swivel bracket. Unplug the clear breather hose from the rubbery thing, and attach the fill bottle hose on the exposed rubber tit. Invert the fill bottle, squeeze, and Bob's your uncle.

The only issues I've had with the Scottoiler is setting the applicator up to my liking. The Scottoiler dual injector is probably the ideal solution, but at $70 CDN, I'll keep fiddling with the original arrangement.

My initial setup had the final applicator quite long, reaching down to the sprocket. At that length it tended to lever out of the flexible tubing if it got bumped, or when rolling the bike backwards.

I've extended the tubing, bringing it closer to the rear sprocket, and shortened the applicator to a mere nubbin. The tubing is made bendable by inserting a length of copper wire. I've got it curled so that it's actually leading into the sprocket. It seems to be staying put with no concerns.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
That's just about exactly how I have mine set up. I originally had the dual injector, but after an 80 mile ride, I then had a single injector... All gone... I went back to the single-injector set-up & haven't had a problem since (4 years, now.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts