StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2011 DL650. I will be on my way to Germany in about 5 weeks. The bike will be shipped courtesy of the government but was wondering if there are any suggestions on prepping it to be shipped. The last thing I want is for it to get dinged up! I'm trying real hard to get done with the break in process. I have about 350 miles on it. Only 250 more to go!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Cant help on prep, but will there be tax and licensing issues importing?
I picked up my 1000 from a guy heading to Italy for 3 years.
Mike

·
Registered
386 Posts
A simple search on YouTube on crating a motorcycle showed a bunch of videos.

You could also go back to your dealer and try to talk them out of the crate it came in. They will probably only scrap it anyway. I presume no weight limit since the govt is doing it?

You'll probably have to drain the fuel tank and disconnect (maybe remove) the battery too. Not sure about the oil.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is it being shipped for you by the military? If so, find out who you're going to deliver it to for shipping and ask them. It's probably not the first bike they've shipped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it being shipped for you by the military? If so, find out who you're going to deliver it to for shipping and ask them. It's probably not the first bike they've shipped.
Yes, it's being shipped by the military. I'm sure they have experience in doing this, but I don't have any experience in crating a motorcycle. I've read from the owners manual and DoD regs that the battery needs to be disconnected and 1/4 tank of fuel or less. When my household goods are picked up, the bike will be picked up at the same time for its journey across the pond.

On a side note, I can't wait to ride in Germany!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shipped my Wee 2 years ago to Stuttgart. Take off the wind screen and mirrors. 1/4 tank of gas or less. Disconnect the battery after loading it.
I shipped 2 bikes at the same time. Different crates. The movers set a ramp up to the crate on the truck and I rode it up there. Not the best of ideas but I got lucky and didnt come off the ramp. Once in the crate, I put the Wee on the center stand. The movers will ratchet strap it inside the crate. Make sure that they don't put too much pressure on the the handle bars(They can bend). When the bike arrived, I noticed that one of the rear straps was on the rear fender and had bent it. However within a day the plastic fender straightened itself out. I put the mirrors and Wind Screen back on hooked up the battery and was riding the same day. It is about 35 bucks to register. You have to have your motorcycle license, safety card and proof of ins to get into the USAEUR motorcycle license class and do a ride with them to be fully legal. It is time consuming especially if it is still winter. USAA insures it. shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can give you some more of the particulars about riding in Germany. It is Awesome.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Active duty Air Force here...

Point of advice...

If you crate the bike yourself, you assume all liability for the bike. If you wait to crate the bike till the shippers show up and have them help you/have them seal the crate, they assume all liability for the bike.

Don't get screwed. Same goes for any HHG shipment. Always let the shippers seal any prepacked boxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts