StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 650. I have mainly been doing short rides (less than an hour) and had no issues. The previous owner put Pro Taper Contour KX high bars on the bike. I tilted them back quite a bit so they are closer to me. I'm 5'10" tall with normal arms (about 25.5" to 26.5" from pit to fingertip).

I finally took the bike on a 300 mile ride. My back felt like there was a baseball on fire in the area between the shoulder blades close to the spine. It killed me to even turn my head to do a lane check.

I'm first going to attempt to put the stock bars back on. I had my wife look at me on the bike. The consensus was I needed the bars at least 2" closer if not more to straighten me up and get me able to pull my elbows in. I'm trying to do this right the first time, so I was thinking of getting the 3.5" Rox Elite Pivot Risers for 7/8" or 1 1/8" Handlebars.

I've been reading all the threads on extended brake lines and extended electrical lines and rerouting of lines. I have no issue spending the money to make this bike comfortable to ride, but just don't want to do it twice.

Has anybody installed the 3.5" risers? If so, what did that do to the handling of the bike and I'm assuming with that much rise new lines would be necessary? Would it be worth it to try the 2" risers first with the stock bars, and sell the risers if I wasn't happy? Am I even in the right ballpark to get rid of the upper back pain, or are the bars not the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I've read that even for a 2 inch riser you have to change the brake line. If that is true might as well get the 3.5. In have a the 2 inch Rox riser on my 05 and like it but wouldn't mind a bit more rise. On the 05 more than a 2 inch would require a brake line change.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the 2" Rox risers as well. I got around the purchase of longer lines and cables by simply cutting 1/2" off of each end of my bars. I am a New England woods rider so I am used to narrow bars on all of my bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,298 Posts
At 5' 10" I am not sure raising the bars anymore will help. I have 30mm risers on stock bars, I am taller with a tall midsection for my height. My first concern is the current bars shape. More than the height, the angle of the handgrips can make a huge difference in feel of the bars. I would try the stock bars first to see if you like that shape better. Then maybe raise those? 30mm is about all you can go with and not change cables.

Beyond that you might have to change riding posture. Sounds like you need to learn to lighten your grip on the bars. Sounds weird, but it can be a hard habit to break and gripping tightly will cause all sorts of muscle issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 5' 10" I am not sure raising the bars anymore will help. I have 30mm risers on stock bars, I am taller with a tall midsection for my height. My first concern is the current bars shape. More than the height, the angle of the handgrips can make a huge difference in feel of the bars. I would try the stock bars first to see if you like that shape better. Then maybe raise those? 30mm is about all you can go with and not change cables.

Beyond that you might have to change riding posture. Sounds like you need to learn to lighten your grip on the bars. Sounds weird, but it can be a hard habit to break and gripping tightly will cause all sorts of muscle issues.
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not looking for the rise, mainly the reach as I want to pull the bars closer to me. I was riding Interstate and doing as much as I could to relax, I just think I was reaching too far to hold the bars comfortably. I was using a crampbuster and mostly resting my left arm in my lap to relieve the back pain. I really wasn't even holding on to the bars. I'm making an assumption that too far of reach was causing the pain.

I will try the stock bars first. Then probably get the risers next. I can say I do like the wrist position of the KX high bars better than the stock bars.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Getting bars with less sweep than stock largely solved the problem you describe on my '06. Again on the '06, 2" risers benefit from longer brake lines. Much more and cables and electrical wiring could require mod. Bars are cheap, though, experiment with that first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My Calculations

I have been looking at the 3.5" Rox risers as well.

I have fitted a Scott Steering damper and the Powermadd 2 " riser ( a rotating style similar to the Rox) was not sufficient to clear the Scott.

Using my compass I have estimated that the 3.5" riser set at 45 degrees back toward the rider would be about 3/4" closer to the rider than a set of 2" back by 2" up solid riser block.

This is an estimation because I couldn't find an old ruler with feet and inches on it so I estimated 2cm=1 inch. (when will the USA catch up with the rest of the world and use the metric system???)

I am looking for a set up that will allow for comfort when standing ( dirt road use)

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I should probably stop contributing, and I will, since I don't have a 2012+, but...

I have been looking at the 3.5" Rox risers as well.

I have fitted a Scott Steering damper and the Powermadd 2 " riser ( a rotating style similar to the Rox) was not sufficient to clear the Scott...
Nor would it clear the stem nut on my '06 even without the damper.

... so I estimated 2cm=1 inch.
2.54 is better. And don't hold your breath. If anything, we are regressing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fitted the 2" Roxys. I didn't like the way there was less weight over the front wheel and the steering felt too light so I took them off again. On my DL650 2012 I did not have to extend any lines at all:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts