StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Coparts junkie. The crashed toy supermarket. And a '18 Wee with 1600 miles is up for auction. Front end damage. I really have the time, tools, garage and money to grab a bike like this for around 3K and get it back to shape for around 2K more. But I do not want to go in blind. Or fool myself about the extent of the project. Can you folks take a look at these pics and tell me if this may have a fatal flaw that would blow the whole dream out of the budget?

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures how the forks/front wheel are doing. If those are ok and frame is not tweaked, I would think your budget should be ok. But if it needs new forks etc, or the frame or neck has been twisted then probably a bad idea.

ps I just noticed the 18's have the same mirrors as my 07. A great view of your shoulders lol. You'd think Suzuki would have updated the mirrors with the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For 5000 I have seen 2015 new old stock. I would seriously consider a purchase like that. If your time has value, warranty, better re-sale value. use your time to adapt to your liking. kfh000

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
You can buy a brand new 2017 for $5500 USD in Toronto.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I mangled my 04 and the cosmetic stuff wasn't hard to replace, headlight bucket and frame. I repaired the damage to the dash and surround.
It wasn't considered a salvage.
A salvage I bought with bent forks cost $400 or so for just the fork tubes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does it currently have a salvage title? Some states won't let you put a salvaged-title vehicle back on the road. Others will allow you to repair it, get it reinspected, and then issue you a Rebuilt title. Either way, a nice clean/undamaged bike with a salvage/rebuilt title is worth maybe 50% of what it is worth with a clean title.

There's no way I'd buy it in that state for $3k. Plus the 17/18 Wee's are new enough that parts like the headlight, plastics, tank, etc, will be almost impossible to find used. If you have to buy new parts, you could very well be approaching the cost of a nice used bike with a clear title.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if it's a winter project and not a moneymaker, and you like wrenching, why not, have fun, think about the cost of the new plastics not that available used cheap, but projects are fun for a lot of us, better than buying a old BSA and stripping down to the nuts and trying to rebuild from there,, good luck.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a Coparts junkie. The crashed toy supermarket. And a '18 Wee with 1600 miles is up for auction. Front end damage.
FYI that bike belonged to a salesman at dealership in my area. I spoke with him shortly after the wreck when I was looking at a new model on his floor. Said he was riding with a pillion and hit some gravel in a corner. Both he and his pax walked away with bumps and bruises. Showed me the bike in the shop and it didn't look that bad off. IIRC the wheels were fine but can't speak to the forks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI that bike belonged to a salesman at dealership in my area. I spoke with him shortly after the wreck when I was looking at a new model on his floor. Said he was riding with a pillion and hit some gravel in a corner. Both he and his pax walked away with bumps and bruises. Showed me the bike in the shop and it didn't look that bad off. IIRC the wheels were fine but can't speak to the forks.
Very interesting!!! I may put a low bid in and see what happens. My wife really likes it when I stay in the garage....

·
Registered
469 Posts
I really have the time, tools, garage and money to grab a bike like this for around 3K and get it back to shape for around 2K more.
Last summer I paid $5400 for my pristine '17 w/ 2K miles. Not so sure you numbers work, especially given it'll have a salvaged title.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts