StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new, just bought an '08 650. I had an '08 C50t prior to this, but am still relatively new to motorcycles. I am also the opposite of handy when it comes to working on bikes, but I'm trying to learn.

I'd like to put hard side cases on my Wee, and was hoping I might get some recommendations here. I like the look of raw aluminum, and have found a few online, but am not sure what fits well on the bike. Like I said, I'm not very handy, so building anything custom is probably not going to happen with me.

I appreciate your help in advance. Excited as hell about the new bike, hope to participate here more often!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I suggest you look through the Luggage pictures thread first. You'll see all kinds of options visually, than you'll have a better idea on several to focus on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are you using them for?

Function over looks when it comes to bags, IMO.

I have Givi e36 side bags. I like them for the money, $200, and for my uses. I don't need anything bigger for camping trips or groceries. I don't do hard off roading. If I was doing off roading I'd get aluminum panniers- touratech, HB, etc, to help protect the bike and for durability.

My comments on givi e36?

I wish they opened from the top like the Givi e21 or like most aluminum panniers. It's tough to keep things from falling out if you have smaller items that slip through the straps. They are great for easy removal from the bike, for clothing, tent or sleeping bag, but don't offer the level of protection that panniers do.

I guess that when looking for bags, consider bike use, what you will use bags for, and then the price range... Givi bags and racks will run $350-$450.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! My plans are to take the bike off road, although nothing too crazy. I need something that will hold enough for extended trips with camping gear, and hold up on bumpy roads.

Poking around some of the links provided, I really like these, but don't love the price. Also found these, which are marginally cheaper, but still pretty expensive. I also worry that installation may be beyond me, given that one review mentions having to relocate the turn signals.

Is this a case of "you-get-what-you-pay-for", or am I looking in the wrong places / buying extravagantly when it's completely unnecessary?

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Top loading aluminum panniers are hard to beat, but I am also a fan of the Pelican type cases as well.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Thanks for the responses! My plans are to take the bike off road, although nothing too crazy. I need something that will hold enough for extended trips with camping gear, and hold up on bumpy roads.

Poking around some of the links provided, I really like these, but don't love the price. Also found these, which are marginally cheaper, but still pretty expensive. I also worry that installation may be beyond me, given that one review mentions having to relocate the turn signals.

Is this a case of "you-get-what-you-pay-for", or am I looking in the wrong places / buying extravagantly when it's completely unnecessary?
if you are considering aluminum, take a look at Happy Trails. I love my set, and they are tough.

Top loaders are the way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Nothing says ADV louder that the big alumimum boxes but they are pricey. Unless you get a deal from a private sale which does happen.
I opted for Pelican-like Sea Horse bags and spent less that 100 bucks for the pair. They are leg crushingly strong too. I found that out when the bike fell over on me.
If you are not a DIY guy, the mounts for any bag are gonna set you back a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts

I have the SW-Motech Trax cases from Twisted Throttle and like them. They have served me well. I went down in a slow speeder about a year ago and just pounded the right one out, added a little silicone just in case, and they have been good to through several frog chocker rain storms and no leaks.

I found the installation fairly easy, ymmv. I did replace the turn signals with different ones (from TouraTech) rather than move them. Some folks have said you do not need to move them, maybe they will chime in.

You could hit Twisted Throttle for their May open house and maybe sweet talk them into installing them for you. :mrgreen:

When camping I need more room and usually end up with a soft bag on the pillion.

·
Registered
462 Posts

Okay you said off road, so forget the hard bags unless you like having your leg in a cast. I have a set of ammo cans I use for around town to carry work stuff and day to day things like groceries, rain pants, etc. I used them on one weekend trip up to Superior National Forest and almost broke my leg even without the bike falling over. Luckily I had good boots on and only had a very bad bruising, it took over a week for it to go away and 2-3 before it wasn't sore anymore.

Honestly I like hard bags for street only day to day riding, and at some point I'd like to get something nicer than ammo cans. But when I leave town it is almost certain that I'll be going off road to find camping spots or because it's fun. So I leave the ammo cans home and throw on some soft saddlebags. I won't officially recommend the soft saddle bags I have now as I just got them over the winter to replace some that I destroyed on my MI trip last spring and haven't had a chance to try them out yet. But if you are really serious about going off road (and I mean rough two tracks or worse) then get some soft bags for that. If your version of off road is a well graded dirt/gravel road then hard bags should be fine.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
As a victim of my own clumsiness, I'd say the Wingnut has a great argument. If I'd had soft bags, my well bruised lower leg might not have suffered so.
But those hard bags look just so bitchin'! :green_lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
hard case/luggage

after buying my k9 Vstrom, I faced the same question, with all my long range riding, I really needed some good hard cases. looking around I opted for Givi, side cases E36, rear top E45.
I used them over and over again, very handy and practical, went trough many showers and keep stuff dry inside. between installing the frame and the luggage it was around 750$, but in retrospect well worthy. I opted for them after meeting a bike group from Mexico, with Tigers, BMW GS and Vstroms, so everybody had some hard cases on, and the Givi gave me the best impression.
in the pic, my E45 on Portales NM, used as a lunch table.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another Thought on Alu Cases

They probably won't grenade the way plastic ones will in a tip over BUT they will get mangled AND they will transfer a lot more of the impact to the frame of the bike. And, as pointed out earlier, it's easy to forget when you put your foot down that those cases hurt when your leg get dragged into them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've done about as intense of "off-road" (off-road to me is single track) you'd want to do 2 up. I have Givi plastics and they have no problem handling rocks getting kicked up, scraping trees, and setting it over in slow, tight maneuvers in the woods. My oil filter did not fair as well however :bom_smug2: (skid plate is a good investment for adventurers!). Point being that the plastic cases are plenty durable and water proof for what most Wees will be used for. I might even argue that the plastics can handle being banged around more because the metal cases are going to dent. I haven't seen a decent plastic case crack yet... not from a crash that didn't also hurt the rider. But yeah... you're stuff has a much higher chance of going yard sale during a good fall on the plastics. Something like Rok Straps or the like are good at preventing exploding luggage though.

That being said... the clamshell opening is much more of a hassle than top load cases... especially if you're packing it in there. This is merely a convenience issues though and still not worth the price difference for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really like my pelican cases. Hard to beat for toughness and cheapness. Mine are not top loading and are smaller than most as I was looking to keep the bike relatively narrow. I like side loaders as I lay a large dry bag across the passenger seat and over the side cases. I admit they don't have a lot of adventure motorcycle coolness to them but I like the way the look on my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I think Pelican cases are a great way to go. Super strong, not terribly expensive, and llifetime guarantee. If you destroy one in a crash, I believe they'll replace it free.

I like my uber cheap Duratools so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts