StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I need a little advice please. I currently own a 2009 Wee with a little over 29,000 miles on it. The bike has never given me any problems,and has been maintained as required,for the exception of the valve check. My dealer told me that given the way I ride the bike that he would not touch the valves until it reached 30,000 miles.

The question: Summer of 2012, I am planning to ride across the United States from my home in Virginia, via the Southern Route to California,up the West Coast,and return via the Northern Route. Should I consider the purchase of a newer/less mileage Strom,or would you be at all concerned with the 29,000 miles on my current Wee ?

I do plan to have the valve's checked, and of course the entire bike gone over as well. I am not interested in any other type of bike,as I am 6'4" and 265lbs with a 36" inseam. The Strom is the best fitting bike that I have ever owned.

Thanks in advance,and have a Merry Christmas !!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wouldn't give a thought to the mileage. It's far from used up.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Fill the tank and ride.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Ride, ride, ride!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would have no concern at all taking such a trip with that bike. Have the valves checked/adjusted, everything else checked out and you're good to go. I'm assuming at 29K miles, you have a reasonably new chain/sprocket combination. If not, they need to be checked/probably changed.

Also, since you're probably going to be heavily loaded, I would start out with reasonably fresh tires and not be too surprised if you have to change the rear tire at some time along the way. I wore out a Bridgestone Battlewing rear in 6300 miles on a somewhat similar trip this last Summer.

Have a great time and ride safe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
29,000 miles is nothing!

Just service the bike and ride.

My girlfriends '05 Wee has +80.000km on the clock and runs better than ever.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Wot everybody said.

I did a 5,000 mile trip in June on a used Wee that I bought with 32,xxx miles. I had the tune up and the valves done, along with new tires and there was nothing else to think about. Now it has over 40,xxx miles and new a new rear tire and I woudln't hesitate to turn around and go the other way.

You know your bike best, but if you've kept up on the maintenance, there should generally be no problems with your bike.

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
My Strom has over 125,000 miles on it. In Sept with 111,100 miles on it I started a 6,000+ mile ride to Grand Canyon and area with no second thoughts. My bike last had the valves checked at around 15,000 miles.

I started with fresh oil, filter and tires. The chain had 21,000 miles on it when I left (my chains now last around 55,000 miles with proper care) and I am still using it with 34,000 miles and it has lots of life left. I used Tourance non-exp tires and typically get around 12,000 or 13,000 miles.

Just ride it!

..Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks !!!
Sounds like several of you run the miles up as well. I have replaced the chain,sprockets, and brakes less than 7,000 miles ago. I plan to replace the tires before the trip. Plugs were replaced at 13,000 and did'nt need them,but I had it down so I replaced them anyway. I have been all over the Mid Atlantic,and the entire North East with this bike and it has been trouble free. I am very particular with maintenance, and oil/filter changes. I am one of those OCD people that never let the engine or chain/sprockets get dirty. lol! Guess it all has to do with not having a lot growing up. I will have the valves checked, but from what I hear,sounds to me like adjustments are not often needed. My engine very rarely ever see's 6000 RPM for any sustained period of time. Just don't see any reason for it. I was able to satisfy my need for speed in the twenty years I was a police officer. Again,thanks for the advice. Have a very Blessed and Merry Christmas.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Do the valve clearance check though. Otherwise, you may be gambling with your engine. The minority of Wees require adjustment but it's comparatively cheap compared to a burned valve. Check the valves, do proper oil and filter changes and mileage well into six figures is typical.

I did valve checks at regular intervals because one was right at the minimum and another did close up one gauge measurement in 30,000 miles so they do move. After thoroughly broken in by 10,000 miles, the clearances only get smaller. I finally bit the bullet at about 50,000 miles and adjusted the tight ones to between the middle and wide end of the range so I'm not going in any more. You do need to do one inspection to know where things stand and adjust any tight ones before dismissing valve checks.

DL1000s show more movement than DL650s so they need regular inspections.

·
Registered
20 Posts
trip

Did a trip on an '06 several years ago... east cost to west cost. Kept a check on oil, chain, and gas... rode like hell. Had a great time.
Now I have an '09 about the same mileage, went from south east to north east this past fall... same thing... Kept a check on oil, chain, and gas... rode like hell. Had a great time. Good news there are dealers every where!!!

·
38,104 Posts
Last year, I went from a little over 60,000 miles to 75,000 miles on the odometer including trips from the Chicago area to Idaho and Maine. I didn't give bike reliability a second thought. It was my personal reliability in near 100F temperatures that caused concern.

My visit to Maine was to visit stromtrooper Black Lab. His 650 is nearing 100,000 miles and it spent some time sucking water through the system when taking a quick nap in the middle of a water crossing. Another Wee rider has about 160,000 miles on his. Long term reliability is not a concern.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks greywolf.

I was hoping that you would weigh in. I am going to get the valves checked by Spring before the riding season. I went to my dealer at 15,000, and again at 20,000, and he said given the way that I baby it,he would'nt even worry about until it hit 30,000. He went further on to say, that I need to wind it up and blow it out sometime. lol!!!

The Wee and I were in Maine in September of 2009,and 100 plus temps were a non issue. The evening that we rolled into Freeport it was 25. No camping that night !!! In fact,had to make run to L.L. Bean and pick up an extra jacket. Only place I could find one in extra tall.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Thanks folks !!!
Sounds like several of you run the miles up as well. I have replaced the chain,sprockets, and brakes less than 7,000 miles ago. I plan to replace the tires before the trip. Plugs were replaced at 13,000 and did'nt need them,but I had it down so I replaced them anyway. I have been all over the Mid Atlantic,and the entire North East with this bike and it has been trouble free. I am very particular with maintenance, and oil/filter changes. I am one of those OCD people that never let the engine or chain/sprockets get dirty. lol! Guess it all has to do with not having a lot growing up. I will have the valves checked, but from what I hear,sounds to me like adjustments are not often needed. My engine very rarely ever see's 6000 RPM for any sustained period of time. Just don't see any reason for it. I was able to satisfy my need for speed in the twenty years I was a police officer. Again,thanks for the advice. Have a very Blessed and Merry Christmas.
Jesdl650, thank you for your service as police officer. I served 23 years in the Navy, but your job was more dangerous and extremely valuable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's going to be a GREAT trip! Enjoy. I wouldn't worry much at all about the miles on your bike, although doing the valve check is a good idea.

Remember us here, and post some photos from your grand adventure upon completion!

I've fallen pretty hard for the Wee as a general-purpose/light touring bike. Absolutely.

CW

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks folks !!!

I have a 04' with 52k and will be taking a 2500 mile trip soon. All you need to do is put on new tires(Anakee 2s) , new chain and rear sprocket and change the oil, filter and air filter. The bike will work perfectly...of course unless you break it!!:green_lol: LOL

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
29K why it's on it's last legs, you better sell it quick. I will take it off your hands for $1000. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts