StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at a 2005 650 strom today, it is immaculate, 13k. But whats bothering me is a deep metallic grunt - a kind of heavy deep clatter - when quickly whipping the throttle (only when blipped quickly and fairly hard) its also felt through the seat. I tried letting out the clutch in first while holding the brake and it sounded fine without any noises, so I think the bottom end is fine, its a smooth and tight sounding motor. I can't think what else it could be as its too heavy to be cam chain but maybe clutch basket? I think it would benefit from a throttle body balance, but its unlikely to be just that.
From what several people have said, I'm beginning to think this is normal and acceptable with these bikes. Should I buy it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where are you at? there may be an experienced wee owner near you that could listen and give an experienced opinion. I have a 650 and it doesn't make mechanical noises unless I start it up.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Was the bike in neutral with eh clutch lever pulled in or let out. If the clutch lever was in the engaged position you make have been hearing the plates moving about. If you go back do the same thing with the lever in and out and listen if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Was this with a hot engine, aka after a test ride or not? When last was the oil changed and the valve clearances checked? Any maintenance records?

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
Johnee, Hola.
With only 13K miles, it'd be a wonder to have anything wrong unless it had been mistreated.
The engines make different noises than other engine styles..

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it's that old with that few miles on it I'd be very leery of ANY rubber or silicon associated with the bike, including the tires (unless replaced in the last couple of years). Since the clutch is hydraulic there are several parts in the slave cylinder that are rubber that might be failing.

I honestly don't know if that might contribute to what you are experiencing but it's something you should consider when buying it.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
My .02 after purchasing 2 physically beautiful bikes this year. Don't be sucked in by the fact that the previous owner was good at washing and waxing. On an older bike plan on spending another $1000 minimum to get it mechanically in shape on top of the 2K that the bike you are describing should cost. Assume that the tires are bad, air filter hasn't ever been changed, plugs are original, chain and sprockets are toast, and that any additions they added were wired or installed in the worst possible way ;)

As for the noise, I don't know about the 650's but the 1000's sound like a 1950's tractor compared to most bikes (other than Harleys)

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
The 2004-11 650's have a cable clutch.
Does the bike have any add-ons (like a bash plate etc) that might be loose? Other than clutch noise nothing should sound as dramatic as you describe. Any chance of a recording?

They are generally very reliable, but do have their quirks.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I may have a similar noise/vibration with my '09 650 which began at about 50K miles. It's a low frequency, course vibration when rolling on the throttle that would only last a second at most, and seems to be occur at around 4500 rpm. The bike now has 82K miles and now I only notice this issue occasionally. Not sure if this is the same issue that the OP is talking about, but the bike runs great, fwiw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts