StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a new MC, & have narrowed it down to the V-Strom 1000, I am going to the dealer in the next few days to take my first (in person) look at one, I have done all the reading/comparing & have decided, the V-Strom is well suited for me. I would like, and could use some help, a little info on me, I am 5'10" 175# 30" inseam, 70yo, have been riding for most of my life. I don't do any hardcore off-roading, but I do like to ride down gravel/dirt roads, Questions, is the $1,300.00 worth it for the Adventure model?, can the V-Strom be fitted with a center stand? What would be considered a decent price? (SoCal), anything I should be on the look out for? I really appreciate any and all advise, Thanks mnn

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Hi mnn, welcome to the forum.

I am also 5'10 but my inseam is 32", and this bike is perfect for my size. I always stop with one foot down and have had no issues with reach. I am on the balls of my feet when both are down.

You should definitely sit on one though to see if it fits, if you are on tip toes it can make it challenging to back the bike up, and it can be surprising how often that needs to occur. An option to correct it is to swap out the seat, or lower the bike a little.

I would not go with the adventure setup personally as I think the bags are too small, but have a look yourself and decide. I think you can get much better panniers after the fact. There are a lot of available models out.

Center stand definitely.

Look on cycletrader.com for current lowest prices. I see one there with 700 miles on it for $7487, but you have to go to Ohio and ride it home, wouldn't that be the perfect way to buy a motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
May or may not be an issue for you, but I don't think you'll be able to put both feet flat unless you lower the bike or seat. A lot of folks like to get the base and install accessories of their own choosing - if you like the oem accessories and would install them anyway, you will save some $$ by getting the adventure. Suzuki center stand is excellent, and there are several other good ones as well. I have no idea about CA pricing, but I picked up my base model 2014 last September for $9K out the door. I've seen 2014 adventure models for about $1000 more. There may still be a few '14s left, later years would likely be more. An internet search might turn up some local prices.

A '14 or '15 will need to have the recent recall work done (VIN can be checked on Suzuki's website). Others can verify, but I think the 2016 models have the newer ECU which has better fuel mapping than previous years.

It's not a perfect bike, but a very good one. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd go for the base model. The suzuki plastic sump guard is no good for off road and the panniers r to small. Crash bars and hand guards r fine but you can buy cheaper bars and stronger hand guards. Main stand the same, swmotech stand is cheaper and you get plated screws and springs unlike suzuki's! Later 15 models have some of the recall work done at factory, rubber boot fitted from june 15 but all 14 and 15's have the old ecu.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Also a 30" inseam and the Strom is top heavy. I'm 68 ...stock it's a handful on any cambered surfaces.

Terry Adcox seat lowered by request and 3/4" lowered links and I'm just fine with riding boots on.

If you let us know what bikes you've had might help.

I'd spend the $1300 on a seat/links and fitting out the bike with useful farkles.

Welcome. Curious as to why not the Wee ...??

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm with these guys. It's better to take that $1,300 and put it toward better panniers and skid plate. Buy the OEM center stand as well and you're good to go...until you get that itch again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
use the $1300 to buy an after market pannier system. More bang for your buck. I find that the adventure model panniers (for my 2009) to small.

Brian

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tend to agree with the folks above. For me buying a base model and putting on the bits & pieces I wanted was not only better on my wallet, but fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all!!, Yes the seat height is probley my biggest concern, I have seen several V-Stroms on the road but have never thrown a leg over one, I have ridden several MC's over the years my current rides are a 2007 KLR ( 650 which I lowered 2") I also ride a 2003 Goldwing, which is really a wonderful MC, but at around 900# has become a handful, I just sold a 2002 BMW R1150R. The reason for a larger displacement is I like to "Boogie" & I think the larger displacement handles that better, The KLR, although a very capable MC, feels strained at anything much over 4k rpm. I have read so many good things about the V-Strom I am hoping for a good fit, I understand the "Tippy-Toe" situations quite well, I am not a big fan of altering the height of MC's. As to the extra money for the Adventure Package, I agree, I would probley enjoy my own farkling. Thanks again, you have been a Great help. I will keep you posted! mnn

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
no problems

With all your experience you will be fine. Even my short 29 inch legs are no problem once I'm in second gear. ha ha
Seriously, stopping and starting on rough ground when fully loaded can often be a challenge for me. My long engine mounted sliders and handle bar mounted BarkBusters and my aluminum side cases have scratches and worn spots showing that sometimes my bike takes a nap. I've bumped the mirrors and signal lights a couple times but never actually damaged them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just make sure you get model manufactured February 2016 or newer. That way you'll get perfect bike with improved ECU and all those wiring recalls solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all your experience you will be fine. Even my short 29 inch legs are no problem once I'm in second gear. ha ha
Seriously, stopping and starting on rough ground when fully loaded can often be a challenge for me. My long engine mounted sliders and handle bar mounted BarkBusters and my aluminum side cases have scratches and worn spots showing that sometimes my bike takes a nap. I've bumped the mirrors and signal lights a couple times but never actually damaged them.
I hear ya!! when I purchased the KLR, which is really tall, I was OK with it naked, (although I had to stretch) but adding bags & guards, etc, I had no choice but to purchase the "Bones" to lower it, I went 2" & I still have some issues, I really don't like to go against the integrity of bike, but will look at what the V-Strom has to offer in regards to this, Thanks for the comment mnn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just make sure you get model manufactured February 2016 or newer. That way you'll get perfect bike with improved ECU and all those wiring recalls solved.
bosnjo, Thanks that is very good advise!, I have been doing some reading on the forum & I don't think I will purchase anything but that. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you can compare (and ride) a Wee strom (650) next to a 1000 that may help you in the decision for height and comfort. I have a 33" inseam and can touch tips of both feet on the ground, just.

I love the higher height of the 1000 but that's what I was looking for. Good luck and have fun trying them out!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I picked the '14 Adv because I liked the color. The OEM center stand is excellent and you could probably negotiate a better price at time of purchase. I am 5'9", an inseam just under 30" and 175 lbs. I have no problem backing up the bike. My V1 seat height was at least one inch higher than the V2 because of a gel seat and an aftermarket shock. The V1 liked to sleep, which I found out in the first 10,000 miles, the V2 has so much better balance, it stays upright and awake. Definitely get crash bars. No problems with dirt/gravel roads, even for a crap off road rider like me. The side cases is like having two lunch boxes, if you're a light eater, however I like them because I split lanes in Ca. I was always hesitant to lower the bike because I was already dragging both pegs. The standard and touring windscreens were useless, IMO. The bike is flickable and a gas to ride whether in town, towering over cruisers, or on country roads where passing or aggressive riding is all too easy, just ask the cop who wrote me up. I'm older than you are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a adv model and it's not at all worth it. Aftermarket is better for sure. Bags suck.. Handguards are cheap. Lower cowl is useless. Although the crash bars are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts