StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I'm getting back to my 'Mk 1B project', since winter is here, and no more real riding on weekends. I'll update that thread in a few days.

I'd like to tap to the pink wire of the Gear Position Sensor
As I understand, there are three options:
1. Tapping with a posi-lock
2. Splicing the pink wire without cutting it, just revealing some of the original wire and soldering another wire onto it. Then heat shrinking it (with a sliced tube or even two).
3. Getting two Sumitomo connectors (male+female).

Each approach has its pros and cons.
I though initially to go with connectors, but it seems like an over kill.
I do have a posi-loc already (got it from Twisted Throttle for the Coocase top case but never used it, as there I decided to get the connectors from Eastern Beaver..), and all I really want is to sample the pink wire voltage. I don't really need the other wires. But Jim David did all the splicing there with his pro tools and skills, so it was very easy and clean.

Approach 1 (Posi-Tap) looks like the easiest one.
Am I correct?

Any advice on the subject is welcome.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am a solder kind of guy, but prefer either self sealing silicone tape or liquid electrical tape for the finish. Heat shrink just isn't a good envrionmental seal for anything besides a straight splice, and even then not as good as the other two.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I am a solder kind of guy, but prefer either self sealing silicone tape or liquid electrical tape for the finish. Heat shrink just isn't a good envrionmental seal for anything besides a straight splice, and even then not as good as the other two.
Ditto. I will never use a mechanical splice connection if I can solder the wires. Mechanical connections fail, soldered connections do not if they are done properly.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - Great info. Learning here new things every day.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I agree with all above. The Posi- brand connectors are the best tap-in connectors if that's your way to go.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with all above. The Posi- brand connectors are the best tap-in connectors if that's your way to go.
OK, confused me here .. :confused:
Do you think soldering is better or posi-tapping?

Another question regarding sealing of the splice:
I got a few months back a 3M 6133 Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, per the advice of GreyWolf. Back then I used it not for splicing, but for making two wires become one thicker.
It is a great tape indeed.

Can I use it for the splice insulation? Or will it dry up and fall?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Splicing

If you are good at soldering and sealing the splice great.....IF NOT the posi-tap works great and give the options of unplugging it for testing purposes, changing you mind, or other add ons`. Good luck

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
One area to be careful about with solder is in wiring that needs to move, like in the handlebar to frame connection. Soldered connections need to have the wires anchored on each side. If a wire leading to a solder joint is allowed to move in relation to the joint, the copper can work harden and break at the point it connects to the soldered area.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all
I think I'm going to posi tap at a point where I can splice and solder later if needed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts