StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents:
Coming back from the beach a car flipped a large plastic bag (low density) my way ans it got lodged briefly in my boot.
Shook it of and continued riding; about 5 mins later, my rear brake bogs down (pressed to the bottom) and zero grab.
Stopped at next (long light) looked the bike over and everything looks ok.... after another 5 min some of the brake comes back but still very mushy and loose. Stopped at a gas station and finally noticed (obscured by bags and stuff) that a large portion of the bag was stuck in the clamp and around the brake pads:furious:. Melted plastic on the disk holes as well.... cleaned as much as I could and drove home without using the rear brake.

Monday it goes to the shop..... do you think pads are cooked or just cleaning will do:confused:?
Regards,
Patrick

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know oil or grease will ruin the pads, not sure about melted plastic. Might be best to replace them to be safe.
Easy enough to figure out, sand down the surface of the pads, put them back in, do they work? If yes, recheck when riding in the rain. Rear pads can be changed by removing one bolt on my Wee. Otherwise they're dirt cheap if you want to buy new.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy enough to figure out, sand down the surface of the pads, put them back in, do they work? If yes, recheck when riding in the rain. Rear pads can be changed by removing one bolt on my Wee. Otherwise they're dirt cheap if you want to buy new.
Rain is 4 months away :smile2:
I will take the pads off tomorrow

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
probably

Might be worth taking a Scotchbrite pad to the disk as well, just to be sure that no plastic remains. Suck to clean the pads, then contaminate them as soon as they're re-installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts