StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been seriously considering buying a 650 V Strom. I currently own a Suzuki M50 which I researched relentlessly before buying 2 years ago. I love the M50, but there's always been something about the V Strom that has drawn my attention. I've been doing a lot of reading of reviews on the Vee, and like what I see. My concern is the wind buffeting. How bad is it? The reason I ask is that I ordered an OEM windshield for my M50 a while back and the buffeting was so bad I took it off after riding 5 miles and sold it. 50 mph speeds had my head shaking so badly my vision was blurred!
The other thing I would like confirmation about is comfort and ergonomics. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. (My biggest complaint with my M50 is leg room even with its forward controls).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith:)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Some people have an issue with buffeting, some don't.

A Madstad bracket may solve it for you. A California Scientific windshield or one of the other aftermarket products will definitely solve it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't know about your area but I was able to take a demo out here, from the local dealer, to help make my decision. I took it on the highway far and long enough to get a good sense of how the stock setup would provide protection. I don't get a lot of buffetting, in fact I ride with my face shield open without a problem. I have ordered a Madstad so I can experiment with more open air in hot weather.
I wonder if some riders expect a bubble with no wind...I call that a cage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. The advice is appreciated. Unfortunately, both the dealers in my area don't have any in stock, and the only oportunity to ride one has come and gone with the Suzuki dealer ride. Dealers around this area (aside from a Honda dealer) don't have demo's to test ride.

Not concerned with a pocket of air so much as I am with stability for my head and helmet. I've found that no windshield is better than a poorly designed windshield. But at least the Vee has adjustability.

One other question I have, is about the switch controls. Does the Vee have the "flash to pass" trigger on the left hand controls? (a nice feature I have on the M50)

·
Registered
238 Posts
buffeting

Even though I am a Parrothead, buffeting on the Wee should be addressed.:mod2_clown: For me the madstad, and the CeeBailey have fixed most of the airblast problems. The wind will always be with us, gear and farkles can make the wind acceptable, or like mentioned before, if you don't want to have the wind in your face, stay home, or take the cage.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//

One other question I have, is about the switch controls. Does the Vee have the "flash to pass" trigger on the left hand controls? (a nice feature I have on the M50)
Yes.

The headlight are great, and there's a aftermarket upgrade harness/relay that makes them even better.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I always remind people that motorcycling ALWAYS involves some wind issues--you are riding atop your vehicle. In warm weather I use a shorty W/S, and only in cold weather do I add a custom fit W/S, and buffetting is low with it--I made it myself. These solutions are individual--everyone's needs are different. V-strom buffetting is little different than any other bike besides a Goldwing, and even they have a few issues sometimes.

Life aboard a Strom will be a big improvement over the M50 in many areas--handling, long haul comfort (seating position) and the ability to run gravel roads/offroad are the main ones for me.

I can think of no downside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts