StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Who is a using an AirHawk on their VStrom seat, what model and most important what size are you using?
I have two... the seat shaped Airhawk Medium Cruiser and the rectangular Airhawk Pillion Large. Got em' from RL-Aviation LLC.
They are the older rubber inner bag type that is rumored to be better than the newer plasti-type. Can't comment on the plasti vs. rubber issue since I've never seen the newer.

The stock gel seat on my DL1000 is (oddly enough) completely comfortable so I have no need for the Airhawk device, however on other bikes I have owned the Airhawk Medium Cruiser worked miracles. I know they are expensive but they do take the sharp edges off any seat they're thrown over.
I've learned to use less air rather than more for the perfect ride. As the on-line reviews say, you do have a tendency to slide (or roll around) on these things a little but it's NOT a deal breaker.

I've found the Airhawk to be a good product that can be used on multiple rides or even your office chair! :cheers2:
-Ej-

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
When I purchased a medium cruiser airhawk for my DL650 I found that although it was comfortable for longer rides that the way it disconnected me from the seat was a little disconcerting. I felt that I had lost the direct connection with what the bike was doing beneath me. They work best when only partially inflated.

It was like putting a small heavy duty balloon between yourself and your motorcycle, and it ended up being half of the cost of the Saddlemen Track CF seat that I eventually purchased and with which I am far more impressed.

The Airhawk has been consigned to the garage shelf. Do you want to buy it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use an Airhawk R on my 2012 DL650. Everything you've read here about using only partial inflation and the feeling of being a bit disconnected is true. Having said that, the disconnected feeling goes away pretty quick and is more than worth the price of admission of 250 pain free miles (tank of gas). I've gone as long as seven hours in a single shot on the Airhawk (not even getting off the bike at gas stops), and while doable, I was sure feeling the burn by the end of the day.

I'm glad I bought the Airhawk and would do it again. I also know that it's only a stop gap measure until I can afford a Russell Day Long saddle.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I use the medium cruiser on both my 11 & 12 wee"s. I don't use it daily, but when I'm going to be riding over two or more hours.
I rode my 11 Wee from Spartanburg, SC, home to NJ, in one clip, which was just shy of 700 rode miles. I have to credit the AH for making it as pleasant a days ride as possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't remember which model I have. It is sort of football shaped. I bought it in '05 and it is still a vital piece of equipment. I have a Sergeant seat, which is "tractor shaped," the Airhawk goes on that and smooths out the edges AND provides a bit more seating surface under the hip bones. I then top it off with an Angora goat skin. I call this set up the "Sergeant major."

The instructions clearly state to under inflate rather than fully inflate. This is a personal feel sort of thing. With just a little bit of air the Airhawk molds itself somewhat to your seat and doesn't slide.

I have ridden damn near everywhere in the Lower 48, multi Saddlesores etc., a BunBurner and a number of 30-hour rallies with this setup and think I may have cracked the secret Butt Code.

Note: This set up does raise you another inch up in the air and has a squirmy feel to it - "butt," you get used to it and not used to pain.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Airhawk R finally solved my seating problems. To provide more legroom, I modified the vee tall seat, but still couldn't quite banish that forward slope - I like a relaxed, sligtly slouched lower back position. The Airhawk cinches my butt at its natural best angle, without sliding. And, yes, half deflated it feels a tad disconnected. But it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't remember which model I have, I think it is the R. Great for long trips! As other have said, use low inflation. Another feature is that you can move it around slightly to change pressure points on your butt on all day hauls. Extra nice when combined with a Alaska sheep skin!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
does it raise the seat up at all?
It could... If you wanted it to.
However...
It works best at taking the sharp edges and pressure points out of a motorcycle seat.
The idea is to inflate it very slightly so it can perform that function.

If you chose to fully inflate it, it would indeed raise you up a full inch or more over your stock seat height.
While such inflation levels will not harm the AirHawk, it will have a tendency to make you feel a bit disconnected from the bike.

Might I ask...
Are you a short guy worried about losing stand-over height...
Or a tall guy looking to induce a little extra leg room?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts