StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I sold my 2007 Wee last fall in anticipation of the new 2012. Had a ready buyer at a good price! Anyway, after having been distracted by a good deal on a Super Tenere for a moment, I have decided the 2012 Wee is the bike for me.

I have my wife's NT 700 for sale now and as soon as it's gone I will buy a 2012 Wee. Is the price difference for the Adventure worth it? I know I will need the bags and the engine guards, but I'm not sure if the Suzuki upgraded windshield is my cup of tea. Is there a substantial cost savings on the Adventure when you factor in the add ons that you get?

Thanks for your input,

ROB RAY

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another vs post, sweet.

There has been a few posts on this so far, but IMO if you are not sold on the oem stuff, get a standard and farkle it. The crash bars vibrate on the ADV, and some have expressed locking issues on the OEM bags.

Its still a good deal, but you have to decide what you want.

The adv bike is a nice black, and I like the windscreen, but there was too much I wanted to change that made the adv not a economical choice. Still spent $2500 on farkles so far.. :yikes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my opinion it is not worth the price difference. I think the bags look ugly, so I ordered a Givi topbox instead. I also am getting a lower cowling, to provide some protection for the oil filter and exhaust since I live on a mile of dirt road. I also have an MRA xcreen coming in this week. I stopped by my dealer and took a peek at the windshield that comes with the adventure, and it didnt look like it was worth the money that Suzuki is selling it for..not tall enough for my taste.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the option of the ADV or the Standard Wee. So I decided on the fox orange Standard Wee, black looks ok clean, its just keeping it clean that always seems to be the challenge. The fox orange "pops" in the bright sunlight.
I prefer to personalize my bike with exactly what options I wanted on the bike, not what Suzuki thinks I need.

(see my OP Farkling the 2012 650 Wee) I included pics of just about everything I added to the bike. And do far,
I am very happy with the GIVI accessories especially the fit and finish and larger diameter tubing for the engine guard.

It really comes down to personal choice/taste and what you want to spend, and the level of quaility your willing to purchase.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I chose the Adventure model because:
I really like the black on black color scheme more than the orange.
I like the large aluminum side cases. I lubed the locks with graphite. Now they work smoothly. I had to tweak the bracket slightly to fix a rattle now I am quite happy with the cases. They are water tight to a garden hose and have nice soft gaskets.
I am 5'10" tall. I moved the windshield to the upper setting and adjusted the flap thing to the highest position and I am happy so far but haven't ridden over 60 mph so far. The crash bars seem well made and match the black color nicely.
So if you were gonna outfit your bike with the exact or nearly exact same stuff and you like black over orange it makes some sense to go for the ADV. Otherwise there are so many good looking aftermarket options that you should farkle it ala carte. More flexibility this way for sure. I am adding a center stand, tank bag and a skid plate and possibly the black top case to match the side cases. Jeez.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought the Adventure model because I actually liked the Trax aluminum side boxes and priced them out on TT. I also thought the idea of bundling the cost of the accessories into the purchase price given the 0% financing was a good thing as well. In addition I am going to sell my KLR 250 and pick up a pre 08 KLR 650 and now I can simply buy the racks and swap out the side boxes between bikes saving some cash as well.

Bottom line really boils down to the Trax boxes. If you like them the bike is probably worth it. If not it isnt. I guess if you really wanted black you could buy the Adventure, sell the boxes and then get whatever you wanted to mount on the racks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like the look of the Trax panniers, they look very Adventurery! What's the capacity?
I've got the Givi E41's on my 2009 Strom, and they are just excellent, and convenient with the top flap.

41 litres a side and 39 litres in the topbox, gives me over 120 litres worth of fill 'em up with crap. For multi week trips, I don't think I could live with less.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought an ADV because:
1) I liked black better than orange
2) There wasn't an standard bike in the state at the time.

However, if I had the choice I would go with the standard. I don't think the extra bits on the ADV are really worth what they charge (its about a wash, but I think if you go with SW Motech or Givi stuff the quality is probably better for the same $)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Most dealers in my area don't have either model, and don't act like they want to get them? I have found a couple of new 2011's--for more than my 2012 was? You have to really shop for a 2012 to get one close. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
100 Posts
my dealer told me that the standard model is available in black..you just have to request it.
Not in the US unless he kept the ADV package for another bike. We haven't asembled an ADV model yet but I know the bags and mounts come separatly. I think the rest does also. The bike is made in Japan but not the accessories.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I found I couldn't get an orange basic Wee anywhere within a reasonable distance, but could buy the ADV for a pretty good price. So I did the math outfitting the basic with the things I wanted to make it comparable to the ADV-- more or less-- as if I could actually get one.

When I went as inexpensive as I could (as in Givi and E21's) I got within about $200 less than what the ADV was going to cost me. When I figured in better side cases such as Happy Trails like I had on my 1000, it was going to cost me a couple hundred more than the ADV to outfit the basic model to get apples to apples.

Some of the stuff is not what I would have preferred to put on the bike. But faced with the prospect of having to wait for the 2013's, lose the 0% financing, and lose about a $300 state sales tax credit in 180 days from the recent sale of the 1000, I figured I had better jump on the one I could lay my hands on.

I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Not in the US unless he kept the ADV package for another bike. We haven't asembled an ADV model yet but I know the bags and mounts come separatly. I think the rest does also. The bike is made in Japan but not the accessories.
When I picked up my ADV a couple of weeks ago it was just like the orange one, except black. They didn't even have the accessories on hand and had to order them. The stuff appeared to come from Germany, and the side cases are supplied by importer or dealer on the east coast and came separate from the rest.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's crazy that they didn't just offer it as an "Adventure Package" for either color, rather than as a different bike.

As evidenced from the above posts, it's just aftermarket accessories that they bolt on at the dealer.

Seems that it would offer more flexibility for everyone and maybe more sales for them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's crazy that they didn't just offer it as an "Adventure Package" for either color, rather than as a different bike.

As evidenced from the above posts, it's just aftermarket accessories that they bolt on at the dealer.

Seems that it would offer more flexibility for everyone and maybe more sales for them.
I see what your saying, but given the not so great reviews and minor issues with the Trax locking system, I am glad they did not offer it. I am happy I bought the standard and added the accessories myself after very careful research.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input....I'm leaning toward the Black non-adventure.

I've read that the factory bags mounting system puts them too far from the bike....maybe the Givi system would be better....

AND...I don't think I like the windshield with the "lip"...If I need aftermarket I'll buy a better looking windshield.

If I can't find black without bags...I'm going with orange....and paint the panels Harley Big Blue Pearl...there's so little painted body work that painting can't be that big of deal!

I've called serveral dealers around me and althought they have them advertised on cycle trader....many dealers seem out of stock....are all the 2012's here now or will more be coming in?

Thanks,
ROB RAY

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did not think it was worth it- price and content did not match up with what I wanted or could replicate with preferred products.

Now if there was a way we could order the Canadian/European touring version...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see what your saying, but given the not so great reviews and minor issues with the Trax locking system, I am glad they did not offer it. I am happy I bought the standard and added the accessories myself after careful research.
You know when I first researched this thing I would have argued the Adventure made sense. Even as late as yesterday I had posted my reasons for going with the Adventure. But honestly after now having issues with the Suzuki crash bars and severe vibrations from them I believe you are dead on correct.

Here is a summary of my personal experience so far. I am a newby to the V Strom world so my view might not be what others with more experience might have.

First there is nothing in Suzuki literature or the owners manual about the Adventure accessories. How they work, etc. They are assembled at the dealer not at the factory.

You get 4 things with the Adventure. Black paint, the Vario windshield, The Trax boxes and mounting brackets and the Suzuki crash bar.

The windshield is subjective. It may work for you it may not. In my case it barely does. Any taller and I doubt it would. So if it would not work for you factor that.

The Trax boxes and mounts seem to be of good contruction. But the locks are not good quality and in my case and with some others the c clips holding the locks in have come off allowing the lock to fall out. I fixed this with a different c clip and some RTV on the end of it. If you dont like the boxes or mounts then getting the Adventure would be pointless.

The crash bar...last night in another thread I was complaining as was another poster about vibrations in the bike. Someone stated the issue was the Suzuki crash bar. Remove it and the problem would be solved. Well I did and the problem was indeed solved. Why? Not positive yet. Another poster stated his bike had no vibrations at all. So was mine improperly installed? I dont know. As stated above there is no info available readily on these assemblies. But as of now my crash bar is collecting dust in the corner. I have to believe using the engine mount bolt to mount this thing causes vibrations to be transfered. Where as the SW Motech bar does not mount this way. I will probably end up with one of those.

So was it worth it? As of today with what I know right now. No. I would have been better off with the standard. Ride it a bit, learn more here and then as posted above buy exactly what I wanted after learning more about the bike and whats available.

That said I just chalk it up to the cost of education. I still love the bike.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Oddly enough, I stopped by our local dealer today and they have the Suzuki Demo Days truck there through the weekend. I stopped to check out the line up. They had a black ADV all set up and a base Orange with, get this.. the touring windshield, the crash bars, the tail plate (but no top box) and what looked like the attachments for the side luggage frames, but not the actual full set, just the attachment points.

Basically it was an Orange ADV without the bags! (but almost!)

I'm going back this weekend to ride it to see what the OEM Vario windshield is like. And I might the taste the VStrom 1000 for the hell of it, and the DRZ400SM and the DR650 and the GSXR looks fun .....

·
Registered
281 Posts
You know when I first researched this thing I would have argued the Adventure made sense. Even as late as yesterday I had posted my reasons for going with the Adventure. But honestly after now having issues with the Suzuki crash bars and severe vibrations from them I believe you are dead on correct.

Here is a summary of my personal experience so far. I am a newby to the V Strom world so my view might not be what others with more experience might have.

First there is nothing in Suzuki literature or the owners manual about the Adventure accessories. How they work, etc. They are assembled at the dealer not at the factory.

You get 4 things with the Adventure. Black paint, the Vario windshield, The Trax boxes and mounting brackets and the Suzuki crash bar.

The windshield is subjective. It may work for you it may not. In my case it barely does. Any taller and I doubt it would. So if it would not work for you factor that.

The Trax boxes and mounts seem to be of good contruction. But the locks are not good quality and in my case and with some others the c clips holding the locks in have come off allowing the lock to fall out. I fixed this with a different c clip and some RTV on the end of it. If you dont like the boxes or mounts then getting the Adventure would be pointless.

The crash bar...last night in another thread I was complaining as was another poster about vibrations in the bike. Someone stated the issue was the Suzuki crash bar. Remove it and the problem would be solved. Well I did and the problem was indeed solved. Why? Not positive yet. Another poster stated his bike had no vibrations at all. So was mine improperly installed? I dont know. As stated above there is no info available readily on these assemblies. But as of now my crash bar is collecting dust in the corner. I have to believe using the engine mount bolt to mount this thing causes vibrations to be transfered. Where as the SW Motech bar does not mount this way. I will probably end up with one of those.

So was it worth it? As of today with what I know right now. No. I would have been better off with the standard. Ride it a bit, learn more here and then as posted above buy exactly what I wanted after learning more about the bike and whats available.

That said I just chalk it up to the cost of education. I still love the bike.

140pilot

I admire your honest assessment. And agree with you. Suzuki could have done much better with the Adv model.

Now build it the way you want it and don't hesitate to ask questions. It's still a great bike!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts