StromTrooper banner

Adventure motostuff adjustable rack

1973 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Speedo66
I am thinking of purchasing the adjustable rack and givi V46 top box for my 650 and hoping for some advice/experience people have had with this setup.

I can't seem to find any recent threads about the rack and would like to know if the issue with vibration/rattling and durability has been resolved after they revised it.

I am also wondering if adding the top box effects the handling of the bike
The box will be used as a backrest for my wife as well as storage.

Thanks,
Dave
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
I use this rack and it's very well put together with no rattles at all. I liked the idea of adjusting the fore/aft position of the top box based on whether or not my wife was riding but truth is I adjusted it all the way to the rear and haven't touched it since. There are some who've essentially done the same thing with spacers and the stock rack. Considering the price of the Amotostuff one it might be worth looking into. But aside from that, I've had no complaints with the fit, installation, or results of mine.

I don't notice a difference with or without the top box mounted but my wife sure likes the sense of security that she has something to lean against with it mounted vs without it. The one and only time I've noted a difference in handling was when I put ~50 lbs of chili peppers in mine that I picked up at a farmers market -- admittedly overloaded but it was a short ride home. That's way more than I usually put in there and it felt like the "tail wagging the dog" -- but you should always put heavier items in side bags and my top box usually just has my jacket liner, water bottles, maps, extra glove, munchies .... light stuff like that.

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I haven't used the Amotostuff rack, but I do have the V46 and like it just fine. I bought it used about four years ago and it's still totally solid.

Any top box, especially large ones, can affect the bike's behavior in crosswinds. Also if you overload it, the weight positioned so high and behind the rear axle does affect the handling somewhat.

· Registered
68 Posts
For those with the amotostuff rack - how quickly can you pull it off the top plate?

I use the amotostuff top luggage plate most of the time and have thought of getting the givi addon for trips, but would like to pull it back off for everyday commutes.

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
For those with the amotostuff rack - how quickly can you pull it off the top plate?

I use the amotostuff top luggage plate most of the time and have thought of getting the givi addon for trips, but would like to pull it back off for everyday commutes.
Four socket-head bolts. Comes off quickly if bolt heads don't strip. Replaced originals with SS.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
I picked up one of these second hand and I'm currently using with the JC Whitney Large Top Box.
Looking for a second one for my other V-strom now.
Tried it with a Bestem I mounted on my wifes bike (M-50)and does not work for it.
Bestem uses a reversed locking mechanism.
With some modes it will work but did not want to take the time.
I very much like this mount and you can save a few bucks by not buying the Givi Case.
Mike

· Registered
21 Posts
I've got the Givi, and it's a really nice box. Heads and shoulders above the Whitney one which I have also.

Nothing wrong with the Whitney box, certainly serves a purpose, but the quality, i.e., locking device, seal, etc. just makes the Givi stand out.

Now if only the lights on the Givi would work properly.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.