1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
That's a LONG shot on that one. With the major changes in the front fairing on the '12 Wee I am thinking there is only a slim chance. BUT, I have one of these on the Vee and If I remember to look at them side by side in the garage this evening I'll post about what I find.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks.

Anyone got an alternative mfgr's aux light bar they like, for the 2012 Wee?

I usually incorporate my safety mods first:
Loud horn.
Flashing Tail / Brake lights (I've got Back-Off on the Cruiser, and installing Skene Designs P3 on the Sport, probably put them on the Wee, too).
More lights / brighter lights up front (passing lamps on the cruiser, ?? on the sport).
Crash Bars; The strom bars are silly, IMHO. They wont keep the bike off me if I go down. My cruiser crash bars keep me from being pinned under the bike. I already know the fiberglas tank cover sticks out too far to keep from being damaged if the Wee goes down. I know they're labelled as "engine guards", but I want protection, too! Too bad I cant seem to find what I want there...
...and wide-angle rear view mirrors, the aftermarket type that cost a couple bucks in the auto stores (tho, I *always* look over shoulder anyway...).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
By and large, those wide bars on cruisers don't save legs. Mishaps that pin a leg under a bike are generally low speed dumps where the rider didn't have the presence of mind to get away from the bike. Higher speed crashes effectively separate the rider from the bike. A real danger is a collision with a large object like a car can band the bar back onto the rider's leg. Side cases are better at keeping legs undamaged in low speed incidents. It's much better to separate oneself from a bike in a crash or the bike most often becomes a weapon. Sliding down the road alone but wearing good gear is a better than high siding and having the bike following behind as it prepares to pin you against the nearest solid object. The Hurt report found crash bars often increased injuries.

How Do Motorcycle Crash Bars Protect the Rider? | eHow.com
Motorcycle Safety Site

The bars that protect the engine and radiator won't do additional damage to a rider.

Extra lights on the Glee are most often mounted to the engine guards or fork legs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, thanks.

Anyone got an alternative mfgr's aux light bar they like, for the 2012 Wee?
This is what I put on mine for the 2012 from Whitehorse Gear (SW-Motech). Not a bar, but a very solid mount. Lights could be mounted above or below on it but put mine below as Maine law dictates auxiliary lights need to be below the center line of the headlights.

Also installed dual function Hyperlites on the rear:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By and large, those wide bars on cruisers don't save legs. Mishaps that pin a leg under a bike are generally low speed dumps where the rider didn't have the presence of mind to get away from the bike. Higher speed crashes effectively separate the rider from the bike. A real danger is a collision with a large object like a car can band the bar back onto the rider's leg. Side cases are better at keeping legs undamaged in low speed incidents. It's much better to separate oneself from a bike in a crash or the bike most often becomes a weapon. Sliding down the road alone but wearing good gear is a better than high siding and having the bike following behind as it prepares to pin you against the nearest solid object. The Hurt report found crash bars often increased injuries.

How Do Motorcycle Crash Bars Protect the Rider? | eHow.com
Motorcycle Safety Site

The bars that protect the engine and radiator won't do additional damage to a rider.

Extra lights on the Glee are most often mounted to the engine guards or fork legs.
This is great information. I'm thankful you took the time to tell me this.

I;ve been through the MSF advanced course twice now, and this kind of info never came up. "Course, they're training to keep us upright and safe, not what to do if it's time to leave...

Anyway, thanks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts