StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys ,
I am planning to take a DL1000 for a RTW trip but the tank on the bike is way too small.Does anyone of you tried to build a bigger tank using the standard tank and make it a larger one. I will be looking for a used one (dented tank) to do some try out on .I am surprised that no one did a 8 Gal or more . I am sure that some of you are good welder so come on guys ?? there is money to be made

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Plenty of room to go taller and not look abnormal in my opinion.
Be interesting to see what it would look like and what kind of capacity it would have.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Plenty of room to go taller and not look abnormal in my opinion.
Put even more weight up high?
You have to be kidding.

There are plenty of people who have mounted additional tanks, one I saw was a 5 litre tank basically sitting on the passenger foot peg in front of the bikes panniers. If you did that on each side there is another 10 litres (45% more fuel) and it's down low and it's removable for those times when you are camped and want to ride around without all the luggage.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Put even more weight up high?
You have to be kidding.

There are plenty of people who have mounted additional tanks, one I saw was a 5 litre tank basically sitting on the passenger foot peg in front of the bikes panniers. If you did that on each side there is another 10 litres (45% more fuel) and it's down low and it's removable for those times when you are camped and want to ride around without all the luggage.

+1 K1W1 . Personlly , I'd give the huge tank versus K1W1's willing to to help , ALLOT OF THOUGHT Bro . Not just for the sake of weight up top , although that is No. 1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The auxiliary on foot peg will work but I will be travelling 2 up and she does have legs.The weight up is not bad as long as you drive on good road ( up to a certain weight),not worst that putting a 5 gallon on the luggage rack.??

·
Registered
22,283 Posts
HI guys ,
I am planning to take a DL1000 for a RTW trip but the tank on the bike is way too small.Does anyone of you tried to build a bigger tank using the standard tank and make it a larger one. I will be looking for a used one (dented tank) to do some try out on .I am surprised that no one did a 8 Gal or more . I am sure that some of you are good welder so come on guys ?? there is money to be made
I have a spare dented 07 California tank, been saving it for the same thing you are looking to do, but not on the top of my priority list right now

my thinking is that some could be added to the forward horns and add to the top. 300 miles range is my goal

But, I could be talked out of my dented tank for the right price, the other easier solution I have been looking at is a custom made top box that is part fuel cell

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
300 miles range is my goal
DL-650......... :devil_16:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But, I suppose a larger tank for a DL-1000 is way cheaper then a whole new bike.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my bike to try and extend its range up to 450 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
the other easier solution I have been looking at is a custom made top box that is part fuel cell
I bookmarked this page a long time ago. If I was gonna do something more permanent than the one litre fuel bottle I carry, it would probably look like this.

http://www.tourtank.com/

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I bookmarked this page a long time ago. If I was gonna do something more permanent than the one litre fuel bottle I carry, it would probably look like this.

http://www.tourtank.com/
Tom, what are your thoughts on plumbing the tank into the existing system?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Tom, what are your thoughts on plumbing the tank into the existing system?
It's a good question and I don't have an answer. For me, unless I had a bike set up for extended touring in the boonies, I'd rather treat it like a gas can.

·
Registered
22,283 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts