StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys been a while between chats.

I've been pretty consumed with this bike since the very day I test rode it 12 months ago, and have been setting it up as an ADV bike proper!

With this alone - Ricks Foot Peg lowering plate, Rox Risers rolled forward 1in , and Pivot Pegz the whole ergonomic is so close to ideal for me that I am looking to suspension next already.
The bash plate and crash bars have survived a proper testing too and haven't broken any welds or shown re-alignment...

here are a few pics of the fun stuff..

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are some nice pics. Are you leaving your abs on during your off road adventures? So far I haven't run into anything to gnarly which requires me to pull the fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very interested in a V2 as an adventure bike, however I think all these pictures of them having a rest in off road situations has me concerned. Guys how about some cool action shots instead of crash pictures.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for being honest! re the "naps" The V2 is a big bike and not too light should it be laying down (from experience :( )
However those images do show what I would rate as serious off roading- more suited to DR650's etc- which have a LOT more suspension travel and are Light ! Chilly if you like the look of the deep mud and steep loose rocky trails you,ll have to be able to touch the ground comfortably when seated, be strong enough to lift the bike when loaded and be prepared for scars (hopefully only on the bike!) The V2 is excellent under many conditions! but when/if they go down its fast! and they are heavy..(as are other bikes in this category btw) The V2 IMO is an 80/20 bike 80% bitumen 20% unsealed (graded dirt) it can of course be pushed towards 60/40 with modifications and gnarly tyres but for that A Wee XT might be a better staring point with mods..and still have limitations.
I liken our V2 to being comfortable on more or less any road where you might find a human! eg dirt roads serviced by a local school bus, mail run, farmers etc. Basically roads that can be fairly shit house but are - or have been formed at one stage or another. This includes fire trails/access tracks in National parks and forests,use your own discretion ;) it all depends on the riders experience and ability to get out of a "situation" and how prepared you might be to "knock your bike around".
I understand (as has been demonstrated many times) that a V2 or any 'Strom can be set up and taken anywhere! by certain riders :)
however unless you are that rider,the V2 wont "work" out of the box.
I dont know your location or desires, but I,d say that untill you run out of sealed and dirt roads to explore, get a V2! if you develop a need to really go into 4WD territory you might follow in the footsteps of many :) and get a DR650 for the tough stuff.
They are relatively cheap,and durable. just dont think (as I did to a degree) that a V2 will be a part time DR...they are just too heavy . FWIW if going "out of the way" it pays to have a riding buddy ;) a mobile phone (assuming you have coverage) wont be able to lift a V2 off you should it have a nap...(hard panniers may avert this issue)
Dont be at all dissuaded , be encouraged by the hard core Vstrom riders! but realise your off road expectations might exceed the bikes initial ability.
my $0.02

Reactions: Chilly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pretty sure the V2 is the bike for me I have a Husky TE 310 for serious off road and a Husky SMR 630 for destroying the ego's of sport bike riders, so my V2 (when I save enough) will spend most of it's life on the road. I spent a month on a F800gs in Morocco and quickly learnt that a 200kg bike is not for me in rough terrain, i'm just after a practical all rounder that will not be afraid of the occasional dirt road.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been pretty consumed with this bike since the very day I test rode it 12 months ago, and have been setting it up as an ADV bike proper!

With this alone - Ricks Foot Peg lowering plate, Rox Risers rolled forward 1in , and Pivot Pegz the whole ergonomic is so close to ideal for me that I am looking to suspension next already.
The bash plate and crash bars have survived a proper testing too and haven't broken any welds or shown re-alignment...
good one!
I have similar mods to your 5 listed, all of them beneficial

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi guys been a while between chats.

here are a few pics of the fun stuff..
I suspect your panniers might have reduced the impact to the crashbars? possibly some impact shared by the handlebar and panniers? We fitted SWMotech cause they were the thickest..and one nap and they're "miss aligned" to put it politely..they did a good job of protecting the tank but sacrificed themselves in the process, or at least one has..no doubt it could be "reshaped" with a press and an appropriate set up, but we,ll just replace them.
Kinda wonder in a way why I have them? a new bike fully insured and I fit crash bars to protect it? yet still have to replace them and other stuff anyway??seems I,m looking after the insurance company ! :confused:

Reactions: stu53

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are some nice pics. Are you leaving your abs on during your off road adventures? So far I haven't run into anything to gnarly which requires me to pull the fuse.
I leave it on all the time but have learned a normal response to riding way of not having a rear brake.
I have pulled it out once in 15000km for the big ADV model test; Bendethra Caves to Moruya.

Are you most concerned with rear ABS or front?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interested in a V2 as an adventure bike, however I think all these pictures of them having a rest in off road situations has me concerned. Guys how about some cool action shots instead of crash pictures.
ADV bike testing. Neither crash pictures nor action shots there buddy, take care not to bruise your elbows.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for being honest! re the "naps" The V2 is a big bike and not too light should it be laying down (from experience :( )
However those images do show what I would rate as serious off roading- more suited to DR650's etc-
my $0.02
You don't ride in the bush mate really do you?? Arm chair stats don't mean shit buddy or the XR400 was never a race winner.

If it is gonna be gnarly you really should be standing, not looking for a low seat and flat footing to paddle along easy on your DR650.

I also have 1x WR450 and 1x DL1000 ADV. I feel a 3rd DR650 might be luke warm to my taste right now.

I also weigh 69 kg in the shower and yeah guys those GIVI boxes are tough. They subside very well with my crash bars and don't even let the bar ends touch down.
WHICH makes solo bike recovery solo easier when having finished a "NAP" before a Log Traversing Trial 2.2 km down the trail following Sand etc.

Approximately 600km later the same day I'm getting tired and want better lighting and a big dinner at home..... but agree in saying its not a dakar buggy... more like a dakar Kamaz Truck- Grinner!!

really and its still that good with standard suspenders??

I should comment that in 15000km those pics are the only 2 drops i have had on this bike.
And this is most certainly an extremely capable and easy to ride ADV Big Bore Bike straight out of the crate!!
But only if you have the Basic core fundamental riding skills... which of course you can't learn online..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its all down to your riding expertise nothing more nothing less , i can and have gone on dirt roads and been proud of myself thinking shit i'm good , then relized my mate in front is on a rocket 3 and i can't catch him , sort of brings you down to earth and makes you relize its all about the rider , some are better than others , my mate grew up on trail bikes 55 and he's rode them for probably 50 years , me never done it and i'm older and more careful

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Good to see some dirt nap pics. I was in all sorts of stuff like that last summer but never had the pleasure of a "nap". I'm sure that time will come. I was a previous F800GS owner and found it to be a lot more squirrelly in the goo than the V2. And as for weight difference I am sure I read Adv.Tech Rick as saying that after the Arrow replacement exhaust, the V2 comes close to the same weight as the 650. I am biased tho, the last bike being a Stelvio, a real monster in the Adv. world, making the V2 feel like a featherweight.
Finally, the ABS. There was a need with the Beemer to turn it off on dirt. But I have been told and feel it is the case here that improvements have been made and so far it has worked well for me off road with no disappearing brakes at those downhill switchbacks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I set out when I bought this bike, to see just how capable it really can be in the bush and as a potential ADV full blown assault vehicle its going good so far..

What that can mean a lot of the time is at there is least ONE obstacle to cover, that can be tricky to hard- or worse... logs, river crossing, downhill, mud holes, snotty bit of everything bad.. compared to the many miles of pretty ADV Nirvana for the rest of the day though.

But if you can't get past that ONE section then your pretty well not going to stop and take that photo of a nap as we are liking to say here. And well.. you will have to go back and get your DR and try again another day.

This bike is capable of getting there with honours. This is my first big bore ADV bike and I'm certainly no Chris Birch on an 1190.
I might get his opinion next year at one of his ADV riding courses just in case I am taking this bike outside its design brief.
It should be set-up ok by then.

"Its not an Adventure Ride if you aren't challenged"
I remember Tony Kirby saying this.. RIP mate you started this ADV thing here before leaving the ever learned folk to squabble intelligently without your words of profound correction... you were the king of taking the "wrong bike" for the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts