StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking to get a Wee-strom (trading up from my beloved TU250X..which I might have to keep for shorter rides). I'm looking for a 2012/13 used bike, and I'm not sure if it makes sense for me to get the base model and then add bags, taller windshield, etc... or just get the Adventure model. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd go base model and mod-up. But I'm cheap and picky. If you're going used you can either a) look for an Adventure model at the price you want b) look for a base model that's been modded the way you want or c) find a bare base model and mod it yourself.

I bought my bike new and decided that I didn't want to pay for stuff I didn't really want/need. I already had a pair of soft bags that I really liked and didn't think the windshield spoiler looked terribly effective. So I bought a base model and put a set of PMRacks on it and SW Motech crash bars and skid plate. Other mods are forthcoming (seat, windshield, handguards) but I can do them at my own pace (i.e. when I have the money) and buy the brands I trust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Expensive

The Suzuki OEM ADV stuff is super expensive ($400 for the top case alone) for what you get. You can find gear for cheaper and a wider variety at that. I have the 2013 base model and I have had no trouble finding what I need for a good price.

·
Registered
561 Posts
On the used market, you will have the benefit of not being locked into the Suzuki feature pack. I got mine very cheaply, new, otherwise I would have farkled a base model. Keep an eye on the for sale section. There is a regular parade of wonderful bikes there and I bet you will be able to find one that exactly suits you.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I agree.
The potential benefit of buying a 2 -3 year old bike is you can find one that WAS a base model and the original owner installed better aftermarket bags, fork brace, windshield, center stand, crash bars, etc. etc., if you're patient. I did that a couple years ago.
Check Craigslist and Cycletrader every couple days. One will appear! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts