StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decide I'm finally going to try to adjust the TPS on a 2007 DL 1000. I get the bike warmed up and put it in dealer mode. The bar is in the center position at idle and moves to the top position at 4000 RPM. So I remove some of the side fairing to get to the TPS. I see it in there with the slot for the screw adjustment. I use a T-20 bit with no luck. I look closer and it looks like an Allen head screw. I'm thinking someone changed the screw out in the past. I try an Allen wrench, and then another. No luck. So I get one I know is quite a bit smaller to check the hole in the screw. There basically isn't one! It's like the head has been filled in so you can't adjust it. Has anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It's a torx security screw; there's a little nubbin in the center to keep normal torx tools out.

You need a torx security bit with the hole in the center to turn it. (I seem to recall it's T20? Not sure.)

On my bike these went immediately into the trash and were replaced with M5 allen head screws.

And there are two of them on each TPS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, never heard of that type of bit. I read it was a T-20 bit like you would find in any cheap tool set. Thanks. Why in the world would you need a security bolt back under there?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
OK, never heard of that type of bit. I read it was a T-20 bit like you would find in any cheap tool set. Thanks. Why in the world would you need a security bolt back under there?
To keep you and me from messing with it.

Replacing mine is on my to-do list. I suspect it is shot (lots of surging and getting worse over time). I have one on the bench ready to go. When I tested it, the bar would rise at high rpm sometimes, low sometimes - all over the map. Now the weather's smartening up and I've got my DRZ on the road (working on that today), I can spare the Vee for a bit.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
This is mentioned in most of the TPS replacement info, but it's worth repeating: when you pull out the old one, the seal is very likely to remain stuck in the throttle body. It's a little rubber air seal around the plastic shaft of the sensor.

Make double-sure you get this out before installing the new one. Two seals stuffed in there is decidedly ungood.

This has happened many times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts