StromTrooper banner

Would you buy an adjustable side stand as a farkle to your V-Strom?

• No, I am not lazy to repark the bike where the surface is OK and anyhow I have insurance.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also with my previous bikes I sometimes realized that when I stopped (pavement or gravel no matter) where the ground was not horizontal I was in trouble using the side stand.
With my lowered Strom I face it very often!

1. the ground slopes to the left
The stand proves to be short, the bike leans too much. Too much weight on the stand, hard to stand the bike up when take off, stand can easily sink.

2. the ground slopes to the right
The stand proves to be long, the bike leans not enough for secure/stable position, the bike can tip over.

Anyhow I am developing a side stand for my own with adjustable length. There will be 4 positions where its length can be easily locked. In the 2nd longest position it will be same long as the stock one. So I will have 2 shorter option: one for the horizontal and one for the case mentioned in 2nd point above.
It will be designed the length to be operated by left foot and the whole stand needs only the same maintenance as the stocker (sometimes lubing).

I am wondering if you consider it as a useful mod? Also interested for those whose bike isn't lowered?
Please poll if you would buy one and for how much?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The question I have is how it will it be adjusted when sitting on the bike before parking. If getting off the bike is required, the adjustment is of limited value. If the adjustment could be made while sitting on the bike, it could be very useful. I picture a large, threaded tube with a large diameter motorized screw at the end. I have seen a Gold Wing with a hydraulic centerstand.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would be interested if only because I had a simmilar idea . Mine system was going to utilize a pneumatic seal system much like a gas pressureized deck lid support from a truck cap :roll:
I guess its Time to Head out to the garage Mokus :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Balazs
Sounds like a lot of trouble, why not just find a level place to park? Is it hard to be on the level in Hungary? :?
Anyway, keep us informed.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Had a little grinding done to the side stand so it will swing forward a little further and allow the bike to be parked as safe as before the lowering links. That is the upside. The downside is the fact that the bike is so low with luggage loaded and SO on board the side stand will swing down and hit the ground before it gets into the fully down position. Simple cure, SO gets off first then I park the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the feedback so far...

OK it seems I didn't give enough info about the project.

The idea was born first because my bike is lowered. Later come to my mind all the other above mentioned reasons (which I thought would be useful for others as well). I want a stand that is cheap, reliable, almost maintenance-free and does the job what I intend with it to do.

Comments for the doubters:

greywolf
Of course the stand can be adjusted while sitting on the bike with your left foot (in case you sit on the bike in the normal position 8) ). It is pure mechanical to be easy to manufacture and cheap.

water warrior
I don't want to grind.
- I would loose the originality of the bike
- It would be hard to restore if selling the bike and/or putting the original dog bones links back
- With the grinding the forces would act more to bend the stand

mikevstrom
Footprint will be larger and its angle will be self-adjusted to match the actual surface

There will also be a resetting mechanism that will allow the rider to reset the length to the minimum by a kick on the stand while it is put out but unloaded.
The minimal length can also be preset by the actual owner depending on the bike is lowered or not. (that will require some simple tool like a screwdriver or so)

Conclusions so far:

- dellboy and vinny aren't lazy
- the others are like Maecenas :lol:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I didn't want to appear stupid, so I 'Googled' Maecenas

Caius Maecenas Roman statesman and patron of letters. He was born (between 74 B.C. and 64 B.C.) into a wealthy family and was a trusted adviser of Octavian (Augustus), who employed Maecenas as his personal representative for various political missions. His name is the symbol of the wealthy, generous patron of the arts. :shock: - OK, I'm stupid!

mokusbajusz
Please explain.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Mokus, I am not a doubter. Just told you how I deal with a lowered bike. Not much of a problem if I am a little selective where I park. Normally when riding alone there is no problem, only with a load in the cases and or the SO will I have any problems. But I do consider them minor in the grand scheme of the universe. I also applaud you in your efforts to make a side stand that will cover all the bases for lowered/unlowered bikes. I am looking forward to your first production model and it's operation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Balazs
Maybe my invention could help you? It is simple to make and stows easily on the bike. However, it is only good for lengthening the stand.
You are welcome to the Hungarian patent :D .

Keep smiling, Al

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kamloopsal said:
Balazs
Maybe my invention could help you? It is simple to make and stows easily on the bike. However, it is only good for lengthening the stand.

Keep smiling, Al
Al,

Your invention seems to be contrived by an other Al called Bundy... :wink:

But I like it as the colour matches the bike.

I am wondering what did you say to your SO when you went out the garage to fabricate it...

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kamloopsal said:
I didn't want to appear stupid, so I 'Googled' Maecenas

Caius Maecenas Roman statesman and patron of letters. He was born (between 74 B.C. and 64 B.C.) into a wealthy family and was a trusted adviser of Octavian (Augustus), who employed Maecenas as his personal representative for various political missions. His name is the symbol of the wealthy, generous patron of the arts. :shock: - OK, I'm stupid!

mokusbajusz
Please explain.

Al
Explanation #1:
Maecenas - we call people maecenas who support art with their own money and ask no return for it.

Explanation #2:
Yes, you are stupid! :lol:

Sorry mate, I couldn't omit it!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Al Bundy made it to Hungary? No wonder the USA has gone down in worldwide respect. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
greywolf said:
Al Bundy made it to Hungary? No wonder the USA has gone down in worldwide respect. :roll:
Well, it has, but not because of Al Bundy but G.W.B. But this is an other story which BTW has been discussed quite deep in the Off Topic section. :lol:

Al (Bundy not kamloops :D ) is one of my favorite BTW. I will open a thread right after this in the OT section. 8)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Balazs,
Just an incidental thought. It's important that the bigger footprint be aerodynamic while in the down position. I've always thought that it would add directional stability . . . kind of like the "winglets" on a 747.

·
Registered
387 Posts
kamloopsal said:
Balazs
Keep smiling, Al
That looks suspiciously similar to Mike's "Anchor" -- a board on a roap he throws out of the tank bag to kick under the stand of his raised Strom. That said, I suspect if our hungarian madman's adjusty stand works as advertised, he'd probably forgo the anchor for the stand.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts