StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've read quite a few aftermarket adjustable lever threads, and it seems like they are hit or miss as far as if the clutch lever will work reliably or not. I have a 2012 v strom 650 adventure that I am looking to get different levers for, mainly so I can have an adjustable clutch lever. What do you guys use that works with the oem handguards?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Same choice here, shorty levers solve that problem and for me, the aftermarket ones I got fit and work better than the originals.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just listened to an episode of the Adventure Rider podcast where they talked about replacing stock items like levers with after-market items.

One caution mentioned particular to levers was to ensure they have the same full function of operation as the originals. The person interviewed (a former Honda employee and current motorcycle tech) talked of situations where people would replace stock levers with shorties, but those new ones put as little as 2mm more tension on the cable. This would cause brake pads to be in constant contact with rotors, and resulted in premature wear of brake pads and, in some cases, warping of the rotors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got cheap levers on AliExpress. Cheap and they work. The clutch needs the starter lip to enable the starter switch and these have the right hardware. I’ve been using them for 3 years and had no problems. Found the same item at a local store for $180. I paid $25 in 2018 but waited 4 months for delivery.
US $31.73 8% OFF|Brake Clutch Lever For SUZUKI DL650 V STROM 2013 2017, SV650/A RV200 Van Van 2016 2018 Motorcycle Accessories Folding Extendable|brake clutch levers|clutch leverbrake clutch - AliExpress

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got a set of shorty levers off eBay several years ago. No problems with either side. They're just some cheap Chinese knock offs, but shipped from USA. Certainly didn't wait months for delivery.

Shorties have multiple advantages for me. I typically only use a couple fingers on the levers, and the shorties eliminate the chance that the fingers left on the bar will limit lever travel. As others have mentioned, they are also far less likely to break in a tip over.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts
I do not understand the reservations of the ex Honda tech regarding non OEM levers. Surely anybody changing their levers, cable or hydraulic, ensure that hydraulic levers do not permanently sit against the MC actuator, and that cable levers have slack in the cable.
Just ensure that the levers chosen are for your bike. Many do not include the tabs required for starter lockout etc. There is no such thing as a universal lever any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts