StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this has been asked plenty of times before but I couldnt find an answer. I just bought a 2006 DL 1000 and I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the height, I am 6"4 and the previous owner is 5"8. I feel the bike kind of low, he must have done something.. How can I make it higher?

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Check to see if the hole to hole center measurement on #13 is 140mm. That is stock. If it is longer, the rear has been lowered.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Also, the tops of the fork tubes are supposed to be flush with the top of the triple clamp. If the fork tubes stick up, the bike's been lowered.

You'll also want to check the amount of preload on the rear shock -- they're set up dangerously soft from the factory to suit Suzuki's ballerina test riders, so if the rear suspension compresses more than about two inches, you should consider a Sasquatch rebuild.

I'm also very happy with my Burkhart raising links. If you find that the rear has been lowered or is stock, consider a set of these.

· Registered
32 Posts
The Burkhart raising links are typically available in + 5/8th and +1", but they sometimes have the secret +1.5" links available. Email them and ask, or put a note on your online order.

I am also 6'4 (long torso, short legs), and I have the 1.5s on my new strom, and it is awesome... not too high by any means. With my saddle mods done last night, this bike fits me great now!

Also, when installing, if the bolts don't pop free almost immediately, pull that rear wheel off and work comfortably. I struggled with stuck bolts with wheel on for way too long, then popped the wheel and had the job done (and wheel back on) in about 10 minutes.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
To install raising or lowering links, all you need to do is put the bike on the side stand and use a small hydraulic or scissor jack under the lowest part of the linkage to gently relieve the weight.

Remove the bolts, raise or lower the jack slightly as needed, and reassemble with the new links.

With time out to re-grease everything, it'll take 15 minutes tops. :hurray:

You do need to use a somewhat trustworthy jack that you can control easily. My 2-ton cheapie hydraulic jack works great, or any scissor jack would do the trick.

· Registered
32 Posts
Yup, but the bolts are still hard to reach, and if you need to get after them with a torch or a cheater bar or a air ratchet or a BFH, it is easier to get at them with the wheel off...

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Yup, but the bolts are still hard to reach, and if you need to get after them with a torch or a cheater bar or a air ratchet or a BFH, it is easier to get at them with the wheel off...
Excellent point... plus, if drastic measures are called for, you might want the bike better braced. And there's that one bolt that's nearly impossible to get out past the exhaust on a Vee. (Hint: just put this bolt in the other way around when you reassemble.)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great input from all of you guys. I checked last night and the measure from hole to hole is 140mm so I guess it hasnt been lowered. Still looks a little low...maybe its my mind playing tricks on me...I will check on the other things you mentioned above..Thanks so much!

38,702 Posts
The springs may be sacked and are spec'd for a 150lb rider to start with. Heavier springs are a common replacement item. Also check the front and rear spring preload settings.

38,702 Posts
Quick question: So the shorter the links the higher the bike will be?
Right. A shorter link pulls the rear tire down, raising the seat height while a longer link pushes the rear tire up, lowering the seat height. A change in 1mm on the link will result in a change of about 2.8mm in seat height.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right. A shorter link pulls the rear tire down, raising the seat height while a longer link pushes the rear tire up, lowering the seat height. A change in 1mm on the link will result in a change of about 2.8mm in seat height.
Excellent. So, looking at those adds for the links, when they say 1" is that how much it will raise the seat? I noticed theres one out there thats says 2" so thats the highest I can go, right?

38,702 Posts
I wouldn't go for more than one inch if I were you. The reduction in rake and trail could make things pretty squirrely.

· Registered
44 Posts
The other thing you can do is get a Corbin seat. That took me from the balls of my feet to tippy toes...a good inch or more. Not what I wanted but I love the seat!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.