StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I've hooked up with you guys. We've had some really good rides over the years. I've had some life events that haven't been pleasant over the past year. I lost my Lil Dove after a brave fight with breast cancer, the company I worked for folded in April with 10 minutes notice

Listed my house just south of Tampa and it sold in 12 hours so I have to leave. Me my spaniel mix, the Sweedish Vallhund and the Hurricane Cat will be closing on a beautiful cabin in the heart of Maggie Valley NC by the end of next month.

The road up there is a beeyotch. It has a switchback on gravel going straight up near the entrance. I'm not sure the Moto Guzzi can make that or not, but I'll try once.

Moral of the story is I always have an extra room and a cold one for my old ridin' pals. I'm probably too young to retire but I have options.

Might need a Wee or even more dirt to enjoy those roads.

Come set a spell.

Rod

Oh here's the new crib:

412 Highview Drive, Maggie Valley NC 28751, MLS #509681, Weichert.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry that you last year sucked. Your new house and it's location are amazing.
Here is hoping you have many good years.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry that you last year sucked. Your new house and it's location are amazing.
Here is hoping you have many good years.

+1

That's not a cabin either... :bom_2thumbsup:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Rod,
Thanks for your help through the years. I wish you the best of health in your new place. Glad you sold your place in Tampa. I am in transition myself.

If you make it up to Maine, give me a shout.

Clem

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It's been a long time since I've hooked up with you guys. We've had some really good rides over the years. I've had some life events that haven't been pleasant over the past year. I lost my Lil Dove after a brave fight with breast cancer, the company I worked for folded in April with 10 minutes notice

Listed my house just south of Tampa and it sold in 12 hours so I have to leave. Me my spaniel mix, the Sweedish Vallhund and the Hurricane Cat will be closing on a beautiful cabin in the heart of Maggie Valley NC by the end of next month.

The road up there is a beeyotch. It has a switchback on gravel going straight up near the entrance. I'm not sure the Moto Guzzi can make that or not, but I'll try once.

Moral of the story is I always have an extra room and a cold one for my old ridin' pals. I'm probably too young to retire but I have options.

Might need a Wee or even more dirt to enjoy those roads.

Come set a spell.

Rod

Oh here's the new crib:

412 Highview Drive, Maggie Valley NC 28751, MLS #509681, Weichert.com

Howdie, neighbor.

Give me a holler, I'd love to show you around the 'hood.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Rod,
Really sorry for your loss. Best of luck to you in your transition.
Since you will be a local, hope to meet you at the Ironhorse next spring.:yesnod:
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Thanks for the memories ...

Rod, I will miss you. I have enjoyed riding with you and swapping the occasional lie with you. I keep hoping to make another Zombie Invasion of Okeechobee, because I feel honored that they are trying to prepare for it. It will not be the same without you.

I will think of you when I see your original DL-650, which I have
led across much of Ontario and followed across much of Florida.

I hope your new home is a joy and a source of problems that you enjoy solving.
(All homes are sources of problems; some problems are rewarding to tackle.)
Keith

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod, I will miss you. I have enjoyed riding with you and swapping the occasional lie with you. I keep hoping to make another Zombie Invasion of Okeechobee, because I feel honored that they are trying to prepare for it. It will not be the same without you.

I will think of you when I see your original DL-650, which I have
led across much of Ontario and followed across much of Florida.

I hope your new home is a joy and a source of problems that you enjoy solving.
(All homes are sources of problems; some problems are rewarding to tackle.)
Keith
Thanks Keith. We will get those zombies next time if it's not a government holiday. Thanks for all the wishes to the other guys. That's very nice of you. Clem, I got nuthin but time and I've never been to New England so that's a deal.

Certainly I plan to ride with the crew from Iron Horse. Norm, I would love to have a tour guide. In fact, I might have to get a dual sport bike although I do enjoy the sport-touring rigs but there might be other stuff to see on the softer stuff. What would you suggest?

I'm serious. Any Strom guy is welcome to bed down at my house.

I'll be back to the FLA from time to time and look forward to seeing everyone.

Rod

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
What would you suggest?
A DRZ400 or DR650 with a spare set of wheels to make it a super motard would work to go up and down your impossible driveway.

Keep the Guzzi in storage in town.

Every Wednesday in Asheville at the Wedge Brewery in the River District ADV Rider folks gather to plan rides, get-togethers, train spot, and drink beers.

Home - Wedge Brewing Company - Asheville NC

You're here just in time for some of the best riding weather, especially if you're tired of the FL heat.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Sorry I never met you Rod (although we probably attended the same events). Having lost my wife to cancer in '08, I think I can relate.

One thing I know for sure, if you're in Norm's neighborhood, you're going to have fun!

Good luck, and God Bless.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Kenneth. I have a feeling you never get over a loss like that. Such a cruel disease. I'll see you FLA guys down the road but I am so damned tired of being hot all the time. Not to mention all of the absolutely stupid people that I will not miss one lick. That's why I want to be lonely mountain man.

Norm- DR 650. Great suggestion. Imma get one as soon as I get up there along with a Hobie Cat Mirage Outback kayak to take some photos, maybe catch a fish and get some excersize.

Boy, do I love beer. The Asheville hookup is much appreciated. When we were at the horse ranch on top of the mountain last November they had a most delicious Highland Brewery holiday ale of some sort.

Thanks you guys. We'll see you out there.

Rod

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rod, We have not met... but nice location for the new home, we have a place a few miles SE of you. I think you are right up from the Wheels through Time museum.

It is not uncommon to lose power around there in the winter so make sure you buy a kerosene heater, or stock up on firewood!

Hope to see you up there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rod,

This can be the start of a whole new chapter in your life. Here's wishing you MANY new fun filled years with great adventures and laughter my friend.

NC home??? I'm jealous! I'm about to embark on another road trip in September to see my oldest brother in MD. Will be camping along the way and seeing other relatives. My trip will take me up through SC, NC, to the blue ridge to Skyline Drive, to Luray Caverns, THEN over to my brothers house. I fell in love with the Carolina mountain roads back when my son and I first road up to Deals Gap. Now I try to route all my road trips through those mountains in some way or another. My in-laws have a place in Connestee Falls, Brevard, NC. So now I have another place to use as an excuse to get up there.
You might have to invest in some heated gear now :yikes:

Stay in touch,
Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rod,

I'm very sorry to hear of your recent difficulties. There may be no better place anywhere than Maggie Valley to rest and rejuvenate. I keep an eye out for real estate in that region and hope to snag a second home there some day.

All the best to you in the future.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for the kind and encouraging words. I expect to ride with all of you up there in the near future.

Hoot I figured there must be a reason for all those generator ads on local TV.

Best wishes to you all.

Rod

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
My in-laws have a place in Connestee Falls, Brevard, NC. So now I have another place to use as an excuse to get up there.
You might have to invest in some heated gear now :yikes:

Stay in touch,
Jim
There is some great riding near Brevard.
Give me a holler.

norm

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Rod,

I am a little late coming to this message, but had to put in my .02 cents.
Man, we will truly miss you. enjoyed riding with you and shooting pics, and hanging out. Stay in touch as you are going to one of my favorite areas.
Life will work for you, you are a great guy and all tthe best to you.

Jim

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I just saw this. Sorry for your loss.
I can't imagine going thru that, and I can understand your relocation.
We make several trips to Cherokee (you know mama likes to go) and we take our bike to enjoy riding what NC mountains has to offer. Would love to meet and greet some time!
Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts